Does lamination devalue a poster?

D Redden

May 31, 2003, 3:41:25 PM5/31/03
I have several autographed theatre posters (which I know are legit) that I
would like to have laminated for protection, but I was wondering if this
would devalue them greatly--the autograph is not from a big star but he is
deceased. I have no intention of ever selling them--it's an "over my cold
dead body" kind of thing but... I hesitate. I've laminated other commonly,
or even not so commonly, available posters and put them on my wall without a
second thought, but they weren't signed.

I also recently purchased a vintage (approx 1970) photo poster (unsigned) of
Steve McQueen--apparently rare as it's an image I haven't seen anywhere
else, in books or online, in the last six months I've been hunting for
McQueen stuff--it has pinholes on the white border--I'd like to trim and
laminate, but should I? I'll never sell it. What to do what to do...

Your advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Donna

Todd F.

May 31, 2003, 3:49:05 PM5/31/03
I feel that it would devalue it for anyone else who would want to
buy it due the people want the original. Since it sounds like you will never
sale it do with it what makes you happy. The thing is have you thought about
what you would do with it after you pass on? Does the person you plan on
giving it to have the same feeling for it as you do, or would they want to
sale it? If you don't care about what happens to it after you've passed do
whatever you want to with it. I remember reading a story many years ago how
a person laminated their entire baseball card collection. You name it, the
big names were there. When they passed on and left it to their friends and
family they just wanted to sale them... and couldn't get much for them
hehe..

Todd F.
--
Todd's Autograph Arena
http://www.toddsautographarena.com
"D Redden" <tal...@accesscable.net> wrote in message

Autographs

May 31, 2003, 6:12:12 PM5/31/03
Why not put it in one of those plastic page protectors and then seal the
top? That way if you plan to sell it or pass it on to someone then that
person can decide if they want to keep it in the page protector or remove
it.

Stephen

"Todd F." <tod...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

D Redden

May 31, 2003, 7:17:44 PM5/31/03
two of the posters are about 4 x 5 FEET in size, the third one is about 18"
x 24" and the vintage unsigned McQueen poster is as least 2 x 3 feet. I'd
like to put them on my wall where I can see and enjoy them but I don't want
to pin them and I can't frame them ( besides the expense I have a Cape
Cod--sloping walls...).

so you see my dilemma...

Donna

"Autographs" <hotro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Cappy Morgan

Jun 1, 2003, 4:59:25 PM6/1/03
You can actually fasten frames to a slanted wall. It would just require
bolting the four corners of the frame. Easily done with a electric drill.
I'd personally frame the items, then you have many options still available
to you. Plus if you are also providing protection for them.

I'm not a big fan of lamination because it simply takes away from the value.
If all else, I've seen giant plastic bags which house posters in one of my
local memorabilia stores.

CM

jimgonsalves

Jun 2, 2003, 1:56:09 PM6/2/03
According to people who do scrapbooking, plastic can damage many kinds of
paper. Your might want to find out about the best way to preserve the paper
the post is made of. This sounds like something you would want to pass on
to someone after you have died.
Mary

Annette Griessman

Jun 2, 2003, 9:55:10 PM6/2/03
I think I would frame each poster with acid free mats and backboards, and
with UV glass/plastic on the front. This is expensive...it'll run a couple
hundred dollars at least, but most places like Hobby Lobby can cut the acid
free mats and supply the backboards and other framing materials. Then, make
sure you don't hang the posters up in direct sunlight. Either that, or find
an acid free tube to place the rolled posters in. The acid in various papers
eventually discolors posters and pictures. Plastics can do the same thing,
unless they are archival quality.

Annette

"jimgonsalves" <jimgon...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Dahoov2

Jun 4, 2003, 12:14:40 AM6/4/03
For a poster, it would be more acceptable than a photo, did you know
they sell this gummy stuff like you see on magazines that holds the
lable to the magazine? That or this stuff that's like the consistency
of silly putty that doesn't ruin the poster or the walls. You might
try that. Problem with laminating is it yellows and eventually spilts
and it can bubble. If the poster is not particularly valuble. Go
ahead and do it and enjoy! If you are concerned about value, try not
to alter and maybe try the gummu solution.

D Redden

Jun 4, 2003, 2:08:53 AM6/4/03
thanks!--I hadn't thought of that putty stuff for putting them up.

Darn, I thought laminating would prevent yellowing, etc... :(

once again thanks to all of you who offered advice. I won't laminate them!
:)

Donna

"Dahoov2" <dah...@my.pl> wrote in message

buhs...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2019, 7:03:57 AM1/7/19
I am a paper collector with so much paper the fire dept hassles me about the fire load in the building because of my collections.I will laminate any item item that isnt worth tons of money (that i want to keep alive) because it preserves it.Old paper goes to hell in handbasket up north and you have to do something.All the purists halfwits are fools and probably have never put any money into their collections anyway.if you love an item you want to show it to other historians etc and if it is in shreds it aint no good to anyone.