Ad Astra 2009

1 view

Lloyd Penney

Jan 31, 2009, 7:27:01 PM1/31/09
Toronto's premiere literary science fiction convention is...

***Ad Astra 2009***

March 27, 28 and 29 at the Crowne Plaza Toronto Don Valley Hotel, Toronto!

Author Guests of Honour - Timothy Zahn, David Drake
Sequential Artist Guest of Honour - Joanne Ellen Hansen
Fan Guests of Honour - Michael Green and Mary Ellen McAlonen
Special Guests - Liana K and Ed the Sock
Young Adult Guest of Honour - Tamora Pierce

Convention Updates:

We have added two guests to our line-up:
Artist Guest of Honour - Kent Burles
Media Guest of Honour - Melyssa Ade (Eleventh Hour, Mutant X)

Programming: Working Panel List is now posted on the website:
http://www.ad-astra.org/Panels.php

Details and sign-up form for Ad Astra's Next Top Zombie are up on the
website:
http://www.ad-astra.org/Zombie.php

Please check our website for other appearances and the latest scoop -
updates posted regularly!
www.ad-astra.org
------------------------------
Before the con:

Ad Astra - February - Friday the 13th, My Bloody Valentine
A 19+ club party/event, featuring our Saturday Night Dance DJ RadioFreeZetox

When: Friday, February 13, 2009 from 8:00pm to 1:00 am
Where: Hollywood on the Queensway, banquet hall (lower floor) - near Kipling
and Queensway
1184 The Queensway, Etobicoke, ON

Link to map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1184+The+Queensway%2C+Etobicoke%2C+ON

Cost: $10 with costume - gothic/horror/twisted Valentine's costume
$15 without costume

Cash Bar
Tickets: Available at the door.

Pre-Reg memberships for Ad Astra 2009 - March 27-29 will also be sold at the
door.

Music requests in advance (for Ad Astra too) -
http://www.vex.net/~guru/RadioFreeZetox/

This event is open to anyone 19+ and you do not require an Ad Astra
membership to attend. Please note that this venue is not wheelchair
accessible, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Interesting factoid: Saint Valentine, or Valentinus was a Roman priest
martyred during the reign of Claudius II, known as Claudius Gothicus. He was
arrested and imprisoned upon being caught marrying Christian couples.
Claudius took a liking to this prisoner until Valentinus tried to convert
the Emperor, then Valentinus was condemned to death. He was beaten with
clubs and stoned, then beheaded. So this party is perfectly historically
accurate.

This event is organized by the Ad Astra ConCom. For further info, please
contact in...@ad-astra.org.

Facebook link to this event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=59395028016#/event.php?eid=59395028016

Ad Astra - January Beat the Blahs
Big thank you's to all who braved the weather - We had a great time!

Other important deadlines approaching for 2009:

Advertising with Ad Astra - Want to advertise at Ad Astra? Promotional info
is on our website: http://www.ad-astra.org/BookAds.php or contact us at If
you have any question, contact the Promotions department at
promo...@ad-astra.org. DEADLINE is Feb 22 to submit.

PRE-REGISTER FOR 2009 - before February 28:

A discount of 10% will be offered on all groups of 10 people or more.

Please send any questions or concerns regarding pre-registration or
registration to regist...@ad-astra.org

Registration forms are available on our website under Online Forms at
http://www.ad-astra.org/pdf/AdAstra2009PreRegForm.pdf

If you wish to be removed from the Ad-Astra Mailing List, please reply to:
web...@ad-astra.org

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Lee Knight (chair)
Amy De Ruyte (vice-chair)