Vintage Girdles

Robert Jackson

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Lucy, thanks for the information on the girdles.

Unfortunately my advice to ignore the twits was disregarded and now certain
people wish to drag me into their obsession. Just because
I have crippled access to the net from my job and posted on topic articles....

I thank those who agreed with my advice.

I don't have the time or inclination to get involved in this
infantile behavior.

Good Bye,

Robert

tlm

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

The address for Zona is:

http://www.win.bright.net/~pwimsey/index.htm

I hope this helps you.

Mary Lou Jacobson

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

Most of there girdles were made by Playtex, and were quite popular
during the 50's and early 60's. I found them very comfortable
to wear.
> First ones were all latex. Had tiny holes but wearing one caused
> excessive sweating. Next they tried to put light fabric liner in them.
> Didn't work very well. They came in a fancy tube and were somewhat
> popular with young college girls as I remember.

Bunyip Bluegum

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Mary Lou Jacobson <mar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Most of there girdles were made by Playtex, and were quite popular
>during the 50's and early 60's. I found them very comfortable
>to wear.

Gather Playtex did a lot of advertising in the States, but by no
stretch of the imagination could you say they made most of the girdles
in the 50's or the 60's. By then they were about the only firm still
making girdles from sheet rubber though. They also introduced the "I
can't believe it's a girdle" line, made from a very strong lightweight
woven fabric probably early in the 60's. Other girdle makers of the
day were Berlei, Warners, Hestia, Dreamform, etc, etc.

Bunyip. Bonds Cottontails.

Lee

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

> Mary Lou Jacobson <mar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Most of there girdles were made by Playtex, and were quite popular
> >during the 50's and early 60's. I found them very comfortable
> >to wear.
> >> First ones were all latex. Had tiny holes but wearing one caused
> >> excessive sweating. Next they tried to put light fabric liner in them.
> >> Didn't work very well. They came in a fancy tube and were somewhat
> >> popular with young college girls as I remember.
> >
> Playtex was not the only manufacturer at that time. Kleinerts and
> Jantzen also made latex girdles. I recall the Kleinerts Rubber Sport
> Brief, that was advertised to be worn under bathing suits and all
> sportswear. The Playtex girdles were available in a tube in a special
> Playtex Display. The girdle exhibited a particular sweet rubber odour
> which was very identifiying and it was always easy to spot a Playtex
> girdle wearer. Does anyone still remember the scent? Is it still
> reproducable today?
>
> Regards. Tass ACL old timer.

What a great memory!! These Playtex girdles seem to have left a mark
on the lingerie hit-parade.

Does anyone know if these girdles are still produced anymore?

Lee

Tass Eilert

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

Lee <le...@daknet.com> wrote:

A company in the USA is able to obtain Rubber Girdles from the UK. Try
Maitresse at Fairport NY Tel 1-800-456-8464. The Golden Panty Girdle
is similar to the Playtex model. A very good quality garment.

Tass ACL Old Timer

mae...@aol.com

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

Hans,

Politics changing fashion. I don’t know of many examples of this. Would
the Nehru (?) suit be one? During the Second World War
women were asked to forgo their girdles because of the scarcity of rubber.
In fact the were collection points for scrap rubber items and my
husband’s relatives did their duty by parting with their rubber
Playtexes. These rubber collection points humorously focusing on girdles
were the subject of pictures in magazines like Life.

I agree with Mary Lou that the Playtex was very comfortable and it really
slimmed. I was so happy to find them again after so many years and still
really like them.

I think Bluegum is mistaken about the popularity of the rubber Playtexes.
They were by far the most popular brand in the States.

Some time ago when these girdles were a thread here someone sent
information about them and a history of the girdle and the company
prepared by Playtex.

Good luck and regards, Mae

Hellcat

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

Tass Eilert wrote:

> Mary Lou Jacobson <mar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Most of there girdles were made by Playtex, and were quite popular
> >during the 50's and early 60's. I found them very comfortable
> >to wear.
> >> First ones were all latex. Had tiny holes but wearing one caused
> >> excessive sweating. Next they tried to put light fabric liner in them.
> >> Didn't work very well. They came in a fancy tube and were somewhat
> >> popular with young college girls as I remember.
> >
> Playtex was not the only manufacturer at that time. Kleinerts and
> Jantzen also made latex girdles. I recall the Kleinerts Rubber Sport
> Brief, that was advertised to be worn under bathing suits and all
> sportswear. The Playtex girdles were available in a tube in a special
> Playtex Display. The girdle exhibited a particular sweet rubber odour
> which was very identifiying and it was always easy to spot a Playtex
> girdle wearer. Does anyone still remember the scent? Is it still
> reproducable today?
>
> Regards. Tass ACL old timer.

I can't think of any reason why it can't be reproduced today (although rubber
girdles went out with the '50's, for the most part).

By the way, I remember reading somewhere that the Playtex Living Girdle
started to smell like "burning rubber" after being worn for very many hours!
(I don't recall, though, whether that only happened in the summer).

Hellcat

Mary Lou

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

> Mary Lou Jacobson <mar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Most of there girdles were made by Playtex, and were quite popular
> >during the 50's and early 60's. I found them very comfortable
> >to wear.
>
> Gather Playtex did a lot of advertising in the States, but by no
> stretch of the imagination could you say they made most of the girdles
> in the 50's or the 60's. By then they were about the only firm still
> making girdles from sheet rubber though. They also introduced the "I
> can't believe it's a girdle" line, made from a very strong lightweight
> woven fabric probably early in the 60's. Other girdle makers of the
> day were Berlei, Warners, Hestia, Dreamform, etc, etc.
>

> Bunyip. Bonds Cottontails.

I believe Playtex did not make these girdles out of sheet rubber like
many other manufactures. They were made with liquid latex and then
had a cotton lining.
Seems to me if I remember right most of the girls in the late 50's
and early 60's wore the Playtex girdle.
By the way, Hellcat, the only time they smelled like burning rubber was if you
did not take it off before making Passionate Love.

MLJ

Tass Eilert

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

Mary Lou <mar...@hotmail.com> wrote:

The Playtex Girdles were made from a latex composite. The process was
to dip a pattern in the form of a torso into the latex composite
material. The latex would form a skin on the form and would be
released forming a shell in the form of a girdle. Further processing
would pierce the tiny holes in the latex layer after a inner lining
was fussed to the latex. Garter tabs or garters were sewn onto the
garment. This process is similar today in the manufacture of Latex
Gloves. Example: The Playtex Living Glove.

Regards Tass ACL

Bunyip Bluegum

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Mary Lou <mar...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I believe Playtex did not make these girdles out of sheet rubber like
>many other manufactures. They were made with liquid latex and then
>had a cotton lining.

In the 30's several manufacturers made girdles from naked rubber,
including Charnaux, which was widely advertised, and was, allegedly,
very popular in theatrical circles. In my recollection the Playtex
"18 Hour" girdles were always the flock coated rubber you describe,
whereas the earlier designs were fabricated from sheet. The Charnaux
girdles had an elegant pattern of holes, which looked, as someone put
it' "like colanders", and had incredibly lumpy seams and suspenders.
However I have a vague idea that Playtex originally made an uncovered
rubber girdle?

>Seems to me if I remember right most of the girls in the late 50's
>and early 60's wore the Playtex girdle.

Never did any research on what American girls actually wore, but the
impression gained from ads in US magazines, and the displays in the
shops in Berkeley in 1965, was that Playtex were just one of many
brands. It is an imperfect measure, but the relative areas devoted to
the different brands certainly didn't indicate that Playtex were
dominant.

Bunyip. Hickory HW contol brief, Kolotex stay up stockings.

PBPANTS

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Did they make brief style rubber girdles then too?
Michelle Tight rubber panties.

Hellcat

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Mary Lou wrote:

[clipped text from previous messages, to save space]

> I believe Playtex did not make these girdles out of sheet rubber like
> many other manufactures. They were made with liquid latex and then
> had a cotton lining.

> Seems to me if I remember right most of the girls in the late 50's
> and early 60's wore the Playtex girdle.

> By the way, Hellcat, the only time they smelled like burning rubber was if you
> did not take it off before making Passionate Love.
>
> MLJ

(Blush). Ahem, by your last line, I assume you're speaking of the open-bottom
style (which was predominant all the way up to the early '60's, anyway).

Of course, there were also panty-girdles with detachable crotches.

Hellcat

Bunyip Bluegum

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

pbp...@aol.com (PBPANTS) wrote:
>Did they make brief style rubber girdles then too?
>Michelle Tight rubber panties.

Both "18 Hour" (the moulded rubber style) and "I Can't Believe It's a
Girdle" came in the full range; open, brief, HW brief, long leg, HWLL
and bodysuit. The high waist (cuff top) styles used a very firm
elastic band ~2" wide, the same in both styles. Not sure if there was
ever an "18 Hour" bra.

Bunyip. Still in Hickory HW brief & Kayser Stay Ups.

Kim Fosbe

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

blu...@werple.net.au (Bunyip Bluegum) writes:

>Not sure if there was
>ever an "18 Hour" bra.

Yes, there was amd still is in the Playtex line.

JDT

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

PBPANTS wrote:

> Did they make brief style rubber girdles then too?
> Michelle Tight rubber panties.

Yes, both Playtex and Kleinert made latex panty briefs for years.
They were advertised widely for sports esp. swimsuits. Interested
to here any first hand reaction from ladies who wore them. They were
in fact girdles and did not have garters. I never saw them after about
1966 or so.

Mary Lou

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

> Did they make brief style rubber girdles then too?
> Michelle Tight rubber panties.

I know that in the late 50's and early 60's Playtex made both the open
bottom and breif style rubber girdles in all their styles (mold and
hold, living ,and magic controller). These breif styles all had
attached garders. The living style, which was their lightweight
model, also had a breif style that did not have garders.

MLJ

Hellcat

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

JDT wrote:

> PBPANTS wrote:
> >
> > Did they make brief style rubber girdles then too?
> > Michelle Tight rubber panties.
>
> Yes, both Playtex and Kleinert made latex panty briefs for years.
> They were advertised widely for sports esp. swimsuits. Interested
> to here any first hand reaction from ladies who wore them. They were
> in fact girdles and did not have garters. I never saw them after about
> 1966 or so.

Hmmm, if your last statement is true, then it's rather ironic that these
"panty-girdle briefs" disappeared just before mini-skirts really began to
become fairly commonplace around 1967-68.

Too bad-they would have been pretty "handy" for a mini-skirt wearer to have
at that time. (Or, should I more appropriately say, "leggy")?

Hellcat

Thunderbolt

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

Though I have a pretty good understanding of the general chronologies
involving various diverse subjects, certain details invariably escape me.
Consequently, this post is intended to share information while simultaneously
soliciting same.

With respect to girdles, for example, the history of Playtex seems to
parallel that of the foundation garment industry itself. Whether this
statement represents established facts or merely reflects a misconception on
my part is largely unknown to me. However, I believe it's true that Playtex
is the most famous girdle manufacturer of all time, or at least in the United
States.

Hence, the company has become firmly (no pun) entrenched within modern
(post-WWII) American popular culture and folklore. This status has been
achieved, to a great extent, through television commercials and magazine and
catalogue advertisements. The economic boom of the 1950's and '60's
(especially) brought with it unprecedented affluence and a large, dominant
middle class ready and willing to make the U.S. the world's first "consumer
society".

One consumer item which Playtex itself could provide and package most
effectively was the formidable girdle, already the ruler of female derrieres
throughout the land since the 1930's. The open-botton style of the garment
(often constructed of rubber or "latex", a synthetic rubber) held sway all
the way up to the early '60's, but increasingly, thereafter, the "miracle
fabric" known as "Lycra Spandex" made possible more affordable, relatively
lightweight "panty-girdles" which virtually swept away the old standard by
the middle of the decade.

But other concurrent technological advances in lingerie fabrics would
eventually lead to the panty-girdle's own downfall in the 1970's. The
introduction of "panty-hose" during the late '50's-early '60's period had
gone generally unnoticed, due to the comparatively high cost and delicate
nature of the combination panty/stockings garment. These factors more than
offset the greater convenience and comfort of panty-hose vis-a-vis those of
panty-girdles, and thus they appeared destined to remain mired as
insignificant competitors to traditional girdles and stockings in the
lingerie marketplace.

That is, until cheap, durable panty-hose arrived on the scene the next
decade. The tumultuous early '70's era was one of rapidly changing
conditions, both economically and socially. Rising inflation coupled with the
widespread demise of dress and hair codes made panty-hose an attractive
option for many women uninterested in conventional feminine grooming
practices.

How much easier it must have been to slip into an inexpensive pair of
panty-hose, instead of struggling into a tight, unyielding panty-girdle;
particularly when the clothes styles of the time generally omitted
closely-fitting skirts, which had usually been the main "practical"
(fashionable) rationale for wearing girdles, in the first place. For these
reasons and others, when all was said and done, the panty-girdle soon
followed its open-bottom cousin into lingerie oblivion around the mid '70's.

Remember, also, that the "unisex" phenomenon was in full swing, by then. More
shocking than seeing women typically wearing pants was the sight of men with
long hair. Citing the most notable illustration of this latter event, from my
own exhaustive print research as an avid football fan in the '70's, I noticed
that flowing locks protruding from the backs of college and NFL players'
helmets became the rule beginning circa 1971-yet, even as late as 1969, such
a thing was almost unheard of! This was proof positive the walls had indeed
come tumbling down very quickly where dress and hair codes were concerned.

[Incidentally, '69 was the last season of the AFL, before the 1970 merger of
that league with the NFL and its subsequent absorption resulting in the
rather unexciting AFC/NFC setup that has prevailed ever since. (Sigh). Ha!
And you thought panty-hose was the lone boring trend of the '70's?

Anyway, it's interesting that in its final year, the AFL had the only two
long-haired football players (hair sticking prominently out of their helmets,
that is) I can ever recall seeing by scouring pre-1970 printed material-Joe
Namath and Lance Alworth, both notorious "swingers"! Ironically enough,
Namath gained still more notoriety (if that was conceivable!) later by
appearing in a panty-hose commercial in the early '70's...with HIMSELF
wearing the panty-hose, yet! Was "Broadway Joe" ahead of his time, or what]?

Okay, so maybe I'm a little TOO observant. At any rate, back to the Playtex
theme, from which I've strayed dreadfully the past six paragraphs. (Ergo, the
real meaning of my subject title)! Although I'm sure a lot of people assume
(such as myself, formerly) that Playtex developed the "Living Girdle" in the
'50's, or perhaps the '40's, it actually goes back to the '30's (pre-WWII
age, fairly surprisingly), if I'm not mistaken. (If I am, please correct me,
someone)! It's probably simply the fact television didn't become a prevalent
medium until the '50's that the decade is so frequently associated with
Playtex commercials featuring the Living Girdle (among several of the
company's other products, also).

Regardless of TV's powerful impact, I've gathered that the Living Girdle was
produced from the late 30's to the early '60's, and during this epoch was
Playtex's "main girdle". I've often thought the present-day "18 Hour Girdle"
succeeded it in that role, except I'm somewhat fuzzy about the exact dates
involved. Does anyone know the precise years the Living Girdle was made, and
the year the 18 Hour Girdle came out?

Of course, Playtex has used catchy and unusual names for some of its other
girdles, too. There was the "I Can't Believe It's A Girdle" girdle (still in
production), which I can freely recall offhand, at the moment. (See, there's
a method to the advertisers' madness, after all)! If imitation genuinely is
the sincerest form of flattery, then Playtex must have been ecstatic when
Maidenform renamed its "Concertina" girdle of the '60's the "You'll Never
Yank At A Girdle Again" girdle in the early '70's!

Well, I think it's about time to end this "news bomb" (a new invention of
mine!), now. You may regret having downloaded it, but you can't deny that
it's on-topic. I welcome any and all public replies to this article, because
I seek answers to my questions in addition to challenges directed toward
anything I've written that people might disagree with. I've mixed documented
evidence with personal opinions and observations, and I hope potential
respondents will do likewise, as well.

Hellcat

MelindaC

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

I was "raised" on the the Playtex latex girdles -- the Magic Controller,
the Living Girdle and my favorite, the Golden Girdle. I wore them from
the late 50's clear up into the early 70's. I can't remember exact dates,
since, it was so long ago, but it seems to me I bought my last latex
Playtex in 1973 or so. This was one of those "clearance" sales to get rid
of the stock, since these styles had been completely discontinued a year
or so before. They weren't even in the tube!!

Oh, how I hated to see them go! The Golden girdle was, at least to me,
the best girdle ever made. I, for one, would dearly love to see them come
back into style.

In any case, I also remember starting to wear the 18 Hour girdle in 1968
or 1969. I believe this when they were first introduced. And I have been
wearing them ever since. With the latex girdles gone, the 18 Hour became
my favorite. Now, Playtex is even discontinuing most of the 18 Hour
styles! The open bottom, in both regular and high-waist styles, was
discontinued over a year ago. And the high-waist long leg panty girdle is
also now a thing of the past. I feel like staging a full-scale revolt on
Playtex to bring my favorites back!

I hope this helps to fix the dates a little better, but I am going by
memory, which could be off by a year or so.

Melinda

Hellcat

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

MelindaC wrote:

> I was "raised" on the the Playtex latex girdles -- the Magic Controller,
> the Living Girdle and my favorite, the Golden Girdle. I wore them from
> the late 50's clear up into the early 70's. I can't remember exact dates,
> since, it was so long ago, but it seems to me I bought my last latex
> Playtex in 1973 or so. This was one of those "clearance" sales to get rid
> of the stock, since these styles had been completely discontinued a year
> or so before. They weren't even in the tube!!

Hello, Melinda. I can believe that Playtex made latex girdles as late as the
'70's, but I doubt if the names "Living Girdle", "Magic Controller", or
"Golden Girdle" were still being used by then.

Also, are you sure Playtex was selling girdles packaged in tubes at that
time? I always assumed that this rather quaint custom went out with the
'50's!

> Oh, how I hated to see them go! The Golden girdle was, at least to me,
> the best girdle ever made. I, for one, would dearly love to see them come
> back into style.

So would I, but for decidedly different reasons, I think it's safe to say!

> In any case, I also remember starting to wear the 18 Hour girdle in 1968
> or 1969. I believe this when they were first introduced.

That's what I thought, too, yet I've never been certain. How about it, anyone
out there know the exact year the 18 Hour Girdle debuted?

And I have been
> wearing them ever since.

Whew, Melinda, don't you think it's time to CHANGE, right about now?

With the latex girdles gone, the 18 Hour became
> my favorite.

Mine, too. (Not to wear, but to admire-on the appropriate wearer, of course)!

Now, Playtex is even discontinuing most of the 18 Hour
> styles! The open bottom, in both regular and high-waist styles, was
> discontinued over a year ago. And the high-waist long leg panty girdle is
> also now a thing of the past. I feel like staging a full-scale revolt on
> Playtex to bring my favorites back!

I'm with you, Melinda! The 18 Hour Girdle is a modern legend, an
anachronistic remnant of an earlier, more elegant age. No mere "shaper", it
is a TRUE "girdle" in every sense of the word, and its passing seems to
signal the end of a proud line that goes all the way back to the Living
Girdle, and perhaps even before.

> I hope this helps to fix the dates a little better, but I am going by
> memory, which could be off by a year or so.
>
> Melinda

Thanks anyway, Melinda. At least you've tried to be helpful by offering
whatever information you could provide on the subject. The precise dates are
only important from a somewhat pedantic perspective, although they would be
nice to know, also.

Well, then, are there any Playtex "scholars" willing and able to chime in
with the real "textbook" historical data this thread seeks?

Hellcat

Hans

Jan 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/20/97

Thanks for all the great info thats been posted on the Playtex girdle.
Unfortunately I was about 3 years to late to have lived through those
times. I have a couple of questions:

Did you wear these Playtex girdles with panties underneath of over
them, or just by themselves?

Did you wear them to high school. In some of the posts it was stated
that they were difficult to take off and put back on, what about days
you had gym class?

Was the open bottom or panty style more popular?

Hans

18-Hour person.

Oct 15, 2014, 6:25:33 PM10/15/14
On Sunday, 19 January 1997 08:00:00 UTC, MelindaC wrote:
> [...]

> or 1969. I believe this when they were first introduced. And I have been
> wearing them ever since. With the latex girdles gone, the 18 Hour became
> my favorite. Now, Playtex is even discontinuing most of the 18 Hour
> styles! The open bottom, in both regular and high-waist styles, was
> discontinued over a year ago. And the high-waist long leg panty girdle is
> also now a thing of the past. I feel like staging a full-scale revolt on
> Playtex to bring my favorites back!
>
> I hope this helps to fix the dates a little better, but I am going by
> memory, which could be off by a year or so.
>
> Melinda

Don't I know it, Melinda, a Playtex High Waist panty girdle has me sitting up straight right now! The likes of Spanx would be no good to me at all. I don't know what we'll all do if they become unavailable, perish the thought!

puckett...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2020, 7:25:33 PM6/16/20
Where can you buy latex girdles now