On the Desire for Eternal Life and the Wonder of God's Promises [VI]

Rich

Apr 18, 2023, 3:59:53 AM4/18/23
On the Desire for Eternal Life and the Wonder of God's Promises [VI]

For the present, then, bear yourself humbly towards all men, and do
not mind who it is that speaks or commands; but take care that whether
it be your superior, your inferior or your equal who makes any request
or suggestion, you take it all in good part, and sincerely try to
fulfil their wish. Let men seek many different things, one making
pleasure in this, another in that, and being highly commended for it.
For your part, take pleasure in none of these things, but in the
humble esteem of yourself and in My good pleasure and honor alone. Let
this be your constant desire--that, whether in life or death, God may
at all times be glorified in you. (Phil. 1:20)
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3 Ch 49

<<>><<>><<>>
April 18th - St. Galdinus, Archbishop of Milan, Cardinal

MILAN honours as one of its principal patrons the holy Galdinus, whose
name appears associated with those of St. Ambrose and St. Charles
Borromeo at the close of every litany of the Milanese rite. A member
of the famous Della Scala family, he occupied the posts of chancellor
and archdeacon under two archbishops of Milan, winning the confidence
of clergy and people by the manner in which he shouldered his
responsibilities at a very difficult epoch.

When Pope Alexander III was elected in 1159, a few dissident
cardinals promptly elected a rival pope more favourable to the
pretensions of the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. Milan had already
offended the emperor by claiming the right to select its own
magistrates, but when the citizens acknowledged Alexander III he
became further incensed against them. Archbishop Hubert and his
archdeacon Galdinus were obliged to withdraw into exile, and the
following year Frederick, with a great army, invaded the city, which
surrendered after a siege. It was by his orders that the reputed
bodies of the Three Magi were then removed from the church of St.
Eustorgius to Cologne, where the greater part of these “relics” still
remain.

In 1165 Galdinus was created cardinal, and the following year, upon
the death of Archbishop Hubert, he was appointed his successor. In
vain he pleaded the state of his health, enfeebled by the hardships he
had undergone: Alexander consecrated him with his own hands. The new
prelate made it his first care to comfort and encourage his distressed
flock; the Lombard states had entered into a league to rebuild
Milan, and St. Galdinus threw himself heart and soul into the new
undertaking. Nor did the distracted state of the commonwealth hinder
St. Galdinus from attending assiduously to his pastoral duties. He
preached constantly, and assisted the poor whom he sought out in their
miserable homes. Amongst his clergy he enforced discipline, which had
inevitably become relaxed during the troublous times through which
they had been passing. His wisdom and eloquence, which had at first
been mainly directed towards healing the schism, were afterwards
exerted to confute the doctrines of the Cathari, then widely prevalent
in Lombardy. On the last day of his life, although too weak to
celebrate Mass, he succeeded in delivering an impassioned sermon
against false doctrine. The effort was too much for him: he lost
consciousness before he could leave the pulpit, and died as the Mass
was ending.

In the very year of St. Galdinus’s death the imperial army was routed
by the Lombard league at the battle of Legnano. And at the celebrated
meeting which took place in Venice in 1177, Barbarossa abjured the
schism, and made his peace with the Church. That the pope placed his
foot upon the emperor’s neck in any but in a metaphorical sense is now
discredited by all sober historians. The incident, which would have
been utterly inconsistent with Alexander III’s magnanimous character,
is not mentioned by any contemporary writer.

A short biography of early date is printed in the Acta Sanctorum
(April, vol. ii) with copious annotations. See also Ughelli, Italia
Sacra, vol. iv, cc. 219-226, and U. Marazza, La Lega Lombarda e S.
Galdino (1897).

Saint Quote:
For the Lord is gracious and merciful and prefers the conversion of a
sinner rather than his death. Patient and generous in his mercy, he
does not give in to human impatience but is willing to wait a long
time for our repentance.
-- Saint Jerome

Bible Quote:
Walk with wisdom towards them that are without, redeeming the time.
Let your speech be always in grace seasoned with salt: that you may
know how you ought to answer every man. (Col. 4:5-6 ) DRV

<<>><<>><<>>
A Morning Prayer to the Sacred Heart of Christ

Dear Lord, I adore Your Sacred Heart, which I desire to enter
with acts of love, praise, adoration and thanksgiving. I offer
You my own heart as I sigh to You from its very depths,
asking that You will work through me in all that I do this day;
thus may I draw You closer to me each day. I offer You all the
crosses and sufferings of the world, in union with Your life on
earth, in expiation for sins. Please join my every action and
heartbeat to the pulsations of Your Heart. I unite all my works
of this day to those labors You performed while You were on
earth, bathing them in Your precious Blood, and I offer them
to the Heavenly Father so that many souls may be saved. - Amen.