Love your enemy and make a friend

Rich

Oct 2, 2023, 4:27:11 AM10/2/23
Love your enemy and make a friend

"The unique, the highest proof of love is this, to love the person who
is against us. This is why Truth himself bore the suffering of the
cross and yet bestowed his love on his persecutors, saying, 'Father,
forgive them for they know not what they do' (Luke 23:34). Why should
we wonder that his living disciples loved their enemies, when their
dying master loved his? He expressed the depth of his love when he
said, 'No one has greater love that this, than that he lay down his
life for his friends' (John 15:13).' The Lord had come to die even for
his enemies, and yet he said he would lay down his life for his
friends to show us that when we are able to win over our enemies by
loving them, even our persecutors are our friends."
by Gregory the Great (excerpt from FORTY GOSPEL HOMILIES 27)

<<>><<>><<>>
October 2nd – Bl. Bartolomé Blanco Márquez

20th century Catholic martyr Blessed Bartolomé Blanco Márquez was
executed during the religious persecution in 1930's Spain.

Born in Pozoblanco 25 November 1914, Bartolomé was orphaned as a
child, and raised by family with whom he worked. He was an excellent
student, studying under the tutelage of the Salesians. He also served
as a lay catechist, and at 18 was elected youth secretary of Catholic
Action in Pozoblanco.

On 18 August 1936, Bartolomé was imprisoned while on military leave;
September 24 he was moved to a prison in Jaen. There he was held with
fifteen priests and other laymen; judged, condemned to death and shot
on October 2, 1936.

During his trial, Bartolomé remained true to his faith and his
religious convictions. He did not protest his death sentence and told
the court that if he lived he would continue being an active Catholic.

The letters he wrote on the eve of his death to his family and to his
girlfriend Maruja show his profound faith.

“May this be my last will: forgiveness, forgiveness, forgiveness;
but indulgence, which I wish to be accompanied by doing them as much
good as possible. Therefore, I ask you to avenge me with the vengeance
of a Christian: returning much good to those that have tried to do me
evil,” he wrote to his relatives.(See Following “Heroic Witness”)

According to documents supporting his cause for beatification
Bartolomé went to the site of his execution barefooted, "in order to
be more conformed to Christ."

He kissed his handcuffs, surprising the guards that cuffed him. He
refused to be shot from behind. “Whoever dies for Christ should do so
facing forward and standing straight. Long live Christ the King!” he
shouted as he fell to the ground under a shower of bullets.

Saint Quote:
"Lean upon Him, because if the Lord is not your support and your
strength, then you will fall and you will be afraid of everything."
St. John of the Cross, Sermons, 9, first Sunday of Lent

Bible Quote:
Now seeing the constancy of Peter and of John, understanding that they
were illiterate and ignorant men, they wondered: and they knew them
that they had been with Jesus. [Acts 4:13] DRB

<><><><>
Few embrace humility

"Many," says Saint Jerome, "embrace the shadow and appearance of humility,
but few embrace humility itself." It is very easy to look down upon the
ground, to speak in a humble tone, to fetch a sigh or two, now and then,
and to own one's self a sinner and a miserable creature at every word; but,
if you say any thing to these persons which may hurt their feelings in the
least, you will see how far they are from true humility. "Let, therefore,"
adds Saint Jerome, "all feigned and affected language be dropped; it is
patience that shows a man to be truly humble"; it is that which is the
touch-stone of humility.