Wanting No Share in Comfort (8)

Rich

Nov 27, 2022, 3:45:53 AM11/27/22

Wanting No Share in Comfort (8)

I have never met a man so religious and devout that he has not experienced
at some time a withdrawal of grace and felt a lessening of fervor. No saint
was so sublimely rapt and enlightened as not to be tempted before and after.
He, indeed, is not worthy of the sublime contemplation of God who has not
been tried by some tribulation for the sake of God. For temptation is
usually the sign preceding the consolation that is to follow, and heavenly
consolation is promised to all those proved by temptation. "To him that
overcometh," says Christ, "I will give to eat of the Tree of Life." Apoc.
2:7. Divine consolation, then, is given in order to make a man braver in
enduring adversity, and temptation follows in order that he may not pride
himself on the good he has done.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Book 2, Chapter 9

<<>><<>><<>>
• November 27th - St. Francis Antony of Lucera
(also known as Antony Fasani)

Born at Lucera, Apulia, Italy, on August 6, 1681; died November 29,
1742; beatified by Pope Pius XII on April 15, 1951; canonized by John
Paul II April 13, 1986.

Donato Anthony John Nicholas Fasani was born into a family of farm
laborers. Although he was baptized with this august name, he was known
simply as Giovanniello (Johnny). His mother remarried after his father
died while Giovanniello was still very young. It was Giovanniello's
stepfather who sent him to the Friars Conventual for his education. At
age 15, the little saint was sent to Monte Gargano to begin his
novitiate. Upon making his profession as a Franciscan on August 23,
1696, he took the name Francis Antony.

In 1703, Francis Antony was sent to Assisi, where he was ordained to
the priesthood on September 11, 1705. He completed his master's degree
in theology at the College of Saint Bonaventure in Rome. From that
time he was called "Father Master" in his hometown, where he taught
theology from 1707. At the convent of Lucera, he also served as
guardian, novice master, and minister provincial of the Province of
Sant'Angelo.

Although his scholarship was great, he was better known for his
preaching in both the city and countryside. He spoke in a way that all
who heard him could understand and directed his catechetical efforts
to the poor. He produced several volumes of sermons, which include
some in Latin. Francis Antony was devoted to the downtrodden: the
poor, the suffering, and the imprisoned. He often accompanied those
condemned to death to their execution.

Francis Antony promoted devotion to the Immaculate Conception, which
was his own special love at a time when the dogma had not yet been
defined. He had brought from Naples a statue of the Immaculate
Conception that he put in the church of Saint Francis, and he wrote
hymns for the people to sing before it. This statue is still an object
of veneration in Lucera. He also established a novena to Our Lady
under this appellation. On November 29, the first day of this novena,
Francis Antony died, a man revered and loved as another Saint Francis
of Assisi (Attwater 2, Walsh).

Saint Quote:
Our self will is so subtle and so deeply rooted within us, so covered
with excuses and defended by false reasoning, that it seems to be a
demon. When we cannot do our own will in one way, we do it in another,
under all kinds of pretexts.
--St. Catherine of Genoa

Bible Quote:
Religion pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to keep
oneself unspotted from this world. (James 1:27)

<><><><>
THIRTY-ONE DAYS OF PRAYER FOR THE HOLY SOULS
FROM THE PURGATORIAN MANUAL (Imprimatur 1946)

28th Day -THEY HAVE GREAT REASON TO FEAR, WHO SHOW NO MERCY TOWARDS
THE SOULS DEPARTED

"With what measure you mete, it shall be measured to you again."
(Matt. vii. 2) It will be readily seen that this word of the Divine
Saviour is applicable also to the assistance we should render the
souls departed. The learned Cardinal Cajetan says: "Those who in this
life forget the departed, will, hereafter, in my opinion, be deprived
in Purgatory of all participation in good works and devout prayers,
though ever so many be offered for them by others; for Divine justice
is wont in this manner to punish their cruelty and hardness of heart."
Hence, he who shows no mercy towards the suffering souls and remains
cold and indifferent to their pains, shall, even though his soul may
have escaped eternal damnation, languish in the flames of Purgatory,
without relief and consolation, and look in vain for friends and
intercessors. The faithful, however, who do not forget the suffering
souls completely, but seldom think of them, will not be deprived of
friends and intercessors entirely, but will derive very little help
and comfort, and their complaints will be answered by the words of St.
Paul: "He who soweth sparingly, shall also reap sparingly." (2 Cor.
ix. 6.)

Prayer: O God Whose goodness and mercy are infinite, have pity on the
souls of those, who, on account of their want of charity, are
undeserving of Thy bounty, and accept our fervent prayers, in
reparation for their faults, that they may not suffer without
consolation. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Special Intercession: Pray for the souls who suffer for their want of charity.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine
upon them; may they rest in peace. Amen. (Three times)

Practice: Bear patiently the ingratitude of others, and offer it for
the souls in Purgatory.

Invocation: My Jesus, mercy!