What and where is pride?

Rich

Nov 6, 2022, 2:14:55 AM11/6/22
What and where is pride?

Who can fathom his house among the wilderness of the human soul?
Who can see the light that shines dimly from it's upper window, where
pride watches for opportunity? Who sees pride leave his front door
toward our mind. He slips from tree to tree, staying deep in the
shadows. We have sought his paths and not found them. But silently he
approaches. We talk and talk, do and do. All the while unaware of his
approach. And when he finally comes upon us, who can tell from which
direction he came?
How very sad is the condition of man that we should be so blind to
such a great sin. Thanks to Jesus for His sacrifice. Who would be
able to stand before the Most High God without the blood of Jesus
about him?
"Now we see, as through a glass darkly. Then we shall know fully,
even as we are fully known".
--Saint John Eudes

<<>><<>><<>>
• 6 November – Saint Winnoc of Wormhoult

(Died 716/717)
Abbot, miracle-worker. Born in the 7th Century in Wales and died on 6
November in 716 or 717 at Wormhoult, Belgium of natural causes.
Patronages – against fever, against whooping cough, millers. Also
known as – Winnoc of Flanders, Winnoc of Wormhoudt, Vinocus, Vinnoco,
Winnow, Winoc, Winocus, Winok, Wunnoc, Winnok. Additional Memorials –
18 September (translation of relics) and 20 February (exaltation of
Saint Winnoc).

The Roman Martyrology states today: “In the territory of Thérouanne in
Austrasia, in today’s France, Saint Vinnoco, Abbot, who, of Breton
origin, was welcomed by Saint Bertino among the Monks of Sithieu and
then founded, with the work of his own hands, the Monastery of
Wormhoudt.“

Winnoc is generally called a Breton but the Bollandist, Charles de
Smedt shows, that he was more probably of Welsh origin. He is said to
have been of noble birth, of the same house as the Kings of Domnonia.
Some sources state that Winnoc’s father was Saint Judicael. He may
have been raised and educated in Brittany, since his family had fled
there to escape the Saxons. He is said to have founded the Church and
parish of St Winnow in Cornwall, although this toponym may be
connected with Saint Winwaloe.

Winnoc came to Flanders, to the Monastery of Saint-Omer, then ruled by
St Bertin, with three companions and was soon sent to found, at
Wormhoult, a dependent cell or priory. It is not known what rule,
Columbanian or Benedictine, was followed, at this time, in the two
Monasteries.

When enfeebled by old age, St Winnoc received supernatural assistance
in the task of grinding grain for his brethren and the poor. The mill
ground the grain automatically due to the intercession of the Saint’s
prayers. A Monk who, out of curiosity, came to see how the old man did
so much work, was struck blind but healed by the Saint’s intercession.
Many other miracles followed his death, which occurred on 6 November
716 or 717 (we only know the year from a fourteenth century
tradition).

The popularity of St Winnoc’s cultus is attested by the frequent
insertion of his name in liturgical documents and the numerous
translations of his relics as well as the four hagiographies written
of his life. He was originally buried at Wormhoult but his relics were
translated to Bergues-Saint-Winnoc in 899. It is said that people who
stood along the route taken by the Monks were reported to have been
cured of many illnesses, especially coughs and fevers. His relics were
invoked against drought. The Monastery was burned by Protestants in
1558. Some of Winnoc’s relics were destroyed.

His feast is kept on 6 November, that of his translation on 18
September; a third, the Exaltation of St Winnoc, on 20 February.

https://anastpaul.com/2021/11/06

“I tell you, make friends for yourselves with dishonest wealth, so
that when it fails, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.”…Luke
16:9

The steward is not blamed. By this we learn, that we are not masters
but rather stewards of other people’s wealth. He was praised even
though he was in the wrong because, in paying out to others in his
master’s name, he won support for himself. And how rightly Jesus spoke
of “deceitful wealth” because love of money so tempts our desires with
its various seductions, that we consent to become its slaves. That is
why He said: “If you are not trustworthy with what belongs to another,
who will give you what is yours?” Riches are alien to us because, they
exist outside of our nature; they are not born with us, they do not
follow us in death. But Christ, to the contrary, belongs to us because
He is Life… So do not let us become slaves of exterior goods because
Christ is the only One we should acknowledge as our Lord.”
– St Ambrose (340-397) Bishop of Milan and Father & Doctor of the
Church -(Commentary on Saint Luke’s Gospel, 7, 244s; SC 52)

Saint Quote:
As the result of sin, the virtues have become painful to us; we shrink
from them because they mean humiliation and suffering. "You do not
want to be humiliated?" Humiliation is an honor, suffering a joy,
because Jesus Christ has placed in them true honor and true joy.
--St Peter Emyard

Bible Quote:
Mind the things that are above, not the things that are on earth. Col. 3:2

<><><><>
Prayer to the Holy Ghost

Cardinal Mercier said about this prayer: “I am going to reveal to you
the secret of sanctity and happiness. Every day for five minutes
control your imagination and close your eyes to the things of sense
and your ears to all the noises of the world, in order to enter into
yourself. Then, in the sanctity of your baptized soul (which is the
temple of the Holy Ghost) speak to that Diving Spirit, saying to Him:

“Holy Ghost, beloved of my soul, I adore Thee. Enlighten me, guide me,
strengthen me, console me. Tell me what to say and do. Give me Your
orders. I promise to submit myself to all that You desire of me and to
accept all that You permit to happen to me. Let me only know Your
Will. Amen.”

If you do this, your life will flow along happily, serenely, and full
of consolation, even in the midst of trials. Grace will be
proportioned to the trial, giving you the strength to carry it and you
will arrive at the Gate of Paradise, laden with merit. This submission
to the Holy Spirit is the secret of sanctity.