History of science fiction

Nic

Nov 30, 2021, 4:36:11 PM11/30/21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science_fiction

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dragon-149393.svg <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dragon-149393.svg>
Portal <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Speculative_fiction>

* <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Speculative_fiction_sidebar&action=edit>The
literary genre <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_genre> of
science fiction <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction> is
diverse, and its exact definition remains a contested question among
both scholars and devotees. This lack of consensus is reflected in
debates about the genre's history, particularly over determining its
exact origins. There are two broad camps of thought, one that
identifies the genre's roots in early fantastical works such as the
Sumerian <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumer> /Epic of Gilgamesh
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh>/ (earliest
Sumerian text versions c. 2150–2000 BCE). A second approach argues
that science fiction only became possible sometime between the 17th
and early 19th centuries, following the scientific revolution
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_revolution> and major
discoveries in astronomy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomy>,
physics <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics>, and mathematics
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics>.

Question of deeper origins aside, science fiction developed and boomed
in the 20th century, as the deep integration of science
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science> and inventions
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention> into daily life encouraged a
greater interest in literature
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literature> that explores the
relationship between technology
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology>, society, and the individual.
Scholar Robert Scholes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Scholes>
calls the *history of science fiction* "the history of humanity's
changing attitudes toward space and time ... the history of our growing
understanding of the universe and the position of our species in that
universe."^[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science_fiction#cite_note-scholes-rabkin-1>
In recent decades, the genre has diversified and become firmly
established as a major influence on global culture and thought.