The Royal Road of the Holy Cross: (15)

Rich

May 26, 2022, 3:03:35 AM5/26/22
The Royal Road of the Holy Cross: (15)

No man is fit to enjoy heaven unless he has resigned himself to suffer
hardship for Christ. Nothing is more acceptable to God, nothing more
helpful for you on this earth than to suffer willingly for Christ. If
you had to make a choice, you ought to wish rather to suffer for
Christ than to enjoy many consolations, for thus you would be more
like Christ and more like all the saints. Our merit and progress
consist not in many pleasures and comforts but rather in enduring
great afflictions and sufferings.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Book 2, Chapter 12

==============
May 26th – Bl. Peter Sanz

Born in Asco, Catalonia, Spain, 1680; died at Fu-tsheu, China, in
1747; beatified in 1893 by Pope Leo XIII.

The viceroy of Peking wrote this about the five martyrs that included
Peter Sanz: "What are we to do with these men? Their lives are
certainly irreproachable; even in prison they convert men to their
opinions, and their doctrines so seize upon the heart that their
adepts fear neither torments nor captivity. They themselves are joyous
in their chains. The jailors and their families become their
disciples, and those condemned to death embrace their religion. To
prolong this state is only to give them the opportunity of increasing
the number of Christians."

Peter Sanz was among the first group of martyrs in Tonkin, which also
included Bishop Francis Serrano, Father Joachim Royo, Father John
Alcober, and Father Francis Diaz.

Peter Sanz was professed a Dominican at Lerida when he was 18 (1697).
He was ordained in 1704, volunteered for the Chinese missions, and was
sent to Manila, The Philippines, in 1713. After studying the language
for two years, he entered China where he spent 31 years evangelizing
the Chinese before he was captured. In 1730, he was nominated vicar
apostolic of Fukien and titular bishop of Mauricastro. When a renewed
persecution of Christians flared up in 1746, he was accused of
breaking the laws by converting thousands to Christianity by a man to
whom he had refused to lend money, according to one account.

The five men, bound together by their vows and their work, were
brought more closely together during their imprisonment at Foochow.
Fathers Serrano, Alcober, and Diaz were captured first, and tortured
to reveal the whereabouts of Bishop Sanz. They did not break down, but
the bishop and Father Royo, hearing about the torture, surrendered in
the hope of sparing their brothers' suffering, says another account.

The five priests were dragged in chains to the emperor's court, where
they were subjected to frightful torments. All of them, with a
catechist named Ambrose Kou, were sentenced to death in December 1746.
During the long imprisonment, a Dominican, Father Thomas Sanchez,
managed to see them. He brought them some clothes and a little money,
and all the news he could find.

On May 25, 1747, Bishop Sanz was beheaded at Fu-tsheu. Even the pagans
were impressed with his gentle demeanor as he was led out to die, and
a fellow prisoner who had been converted in prison, followed him
closely through the mob, openly proclaiming his sanctity. As the
headsman prepared to swing the axe, the venerable bishop looked at him
and said, "Rejoice with me, my friend; I am going to heaven!"

"I wish I were going with you!" blurted out the unhappy man.

Laying his head upon the block, the bishop preached his last sermon:
"If you want to save your soul, my friend, you must obey the law of
God!" Pagan friends of the priests scurried through the crowd,
gathering up the relics which they saved for the Christians. Many of
these people, including the executioner, were later baptized.

On October 20, 1747, after the death of Sanz, word arrived that Father
Serrano was had been appointed titular bishop of Tipsa and coadjutor
to Blessed Peter Sanz. At that point, he and the others were summarily
executed at Fukien (Benedictines, Delaney, Dorcy).

Saint Quote
"Resist your impatience faithfully, practicing, not only with reason,
but even against reason, holy courtesy and sweetness to all, but
especially to those who weary you the most"
--St. Francis de Sales

Bible Quote
And the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into
heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God. 20 But they going forth
preached every where: the Lord working withal, and confirming the word
with signs that followed. (Mark 16:19-20)

<><><><>
To the Two Loving Hearts
By St John Eudes (1601-1680)

O Jesus, only Son of God, only Son of Mary,
I offer You the most loving Heart
of Your divine Mother
which is more precious
and pleasing to You than all hearts.

O Mary, Mother of Jesus,
I offer you the most adorable Heart
of your well-beloved Son,
who is the life and love and joy of your Heart.

Blessed be the Most Loving Heart
and Sweet Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ
and the most glorious
Virgin Mary, His Mother,