False Prophets #1

oldwetdog

Jan 1, 2004, 11:27:09 PM1/1/04
This is longer than I intended.
It might be a good idea to save it and read it offline.

Part one.

I discovered some time ago that it would be easy for me to spend too
much time studying "wrong subjects" rather than studying and learning
"right subjects." I discovered there are simply too many false doctrines
to identify them all, and attempting to do so is an exercise in futility.

As an example, US Treasury Agents do not study counterfeit money. They
only study real money.

The wise student of God's Word does not study what others write about
His Word, they study His Word. If one will learn God's Word without all
the wrong definitions and wrong interpretations men have superimposed on
it, then it becomes easy to recognize an incorrect definition or
interpretation. The wise Bible Student does not compare one teaching to
another to find out which one is true; he or she compares both to the
only dependable measure of Truth--His Word.

However, it may be unwise to bury one's head in sand and ignore
everything outside our front door. We must live in this world and be
able to navigate the treacherous road before us. Living in a false world
where there is no danger, no lies, no bad news --no enemy to be
recognized-- is, I think, foolish.

There must be a compromise between spending too much time in either
extreme. This compromise must be made by each individual according to
his or her situation and resources. What is right for one will be an
extreme for another.

For myself, I don't need to know much about false teachings, doctrines
or dogma; I prefer to know the Truth. I have no need to know much about
false prophets, but I do know that there are many in the world today,
and more will come. On the other hand, I do think it important to know
what Scripture teaches about every subject, which includes false
prophets. I think it important to be able to recognize one, when needed,
else how can I defend my soul from delusion and Hell?

Personally, I don't like it when someone *tells* me what a scripture
says--or means. Because I don't like that, I try not to do it myself. I
cite book, chapter and verse, quoting only enough of it to perhaps
refresh my readers memory or aid them in finding it. If you do not
verify the scripture I quote, that it means what I say, and means what
it says, and that I have not taken it out of context, then you will
disappoint me.

So, what does the Bible teach us about false prophets? What do we *need*
to know? I think it a good idea read Matthew 24 first. How many times
does J'shua warn us about false prophets? How many time does He say, "Be
not deceived?"

First, in order to be sure my understanding of the meaning of the words
are correct, I went to http://www.dictionary.com for the definition of
"false prophet." But this resource will only do single word searches.
So, I looked up "false," then "prophet."

Then, using my computer Bible's search tool, I looked up "False," "false
prophet" and "false prophets." I think it very interesting that (in my
KJV version) there are only 3 references to "false prophet" (singular)
but there are many references to the plural "false prophets."

Begin references:

Dictionary
_________________
False,

false ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fôls)
adj. fals•er, fals•est
Contrary to fact or truth: false tales of bravery.
Deliberately untrue: delivered false testimony under oath.
Arising from mistaken ideas: false hopes of writing a successful novel.
Intentionally deceptive: a suitcase with a false bottom; false promises.
Not keeping faith; treacherous: a false friend. See Synonyms at faithless.
Not genuine or real: false teeth; false documents.

Resembling but not accurately or properly designated as such: a false
thaw in January; the false dawn peculiar to the tropics.

Unwise; imprudent: Don't make a false move or I'll shoot.
Computer Science. Indicating one of two possible values taken by a
variable in Boolean logic or a binary device.

adv.
In a treacherous or faithless manner: play a person false.

[Middle English fals, from Old English, counterfeit,, and from Old
French, false both from Latin falsus, from past participle of fallere,
to deceive.]
falsely adv.
falseness n.
false

\False\, adv. Not truly; not honestly; falsely. ``You play me false.''
--Shak.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

false

\False\, v. t. [L. falsare to falsify, fr. falsus: cf. F. fausser. See
False, a.] 1. To report falsely; to falsify. [Obs.] --Chaucer.

2. To betray; to falsify. [Obs.]

[He] hath his truthe falsed in this wise. --Chaucer.

3. To mislead by want of truth; to deceive. [Obs.]

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

false

\False\, a. [Compar. Falser; superl. Falsest.] [L. falsus, p. p. of
fallere to deceive; cf. OF. faus, fals, F. faux, and AS. fals fraud. See
Fail, Fall.] 1. Uttering falsehood; unveracious; given to deceit;
dishnest; as, a false witness.

2. Not faithful or loyal, as to obligations, allegiance, vows, etc.;
untrue; treacherous; perfidious; as, a false friend, lover, or subject;
false to promises.

I to myself was false, ere thou to me. --Milton.

3. Not according with truth or reality; not true; fitted or likely to
deceive or disappoint; as, a false statement.

4. Not genuine or real; assumed or designed to deceive; counterfeit;
hypocritical; as, false tears; false modesty; false colors; false jewelry.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know. --Shak.

5. Not well founded; not firm or trustworthy; erroneous; as, a false
claim; a false conclusion; a false construction in grammar.

False personation (Law), the intentional false assumption of the name
and personality of another.

False pretenses (Law), false representations concerning past or present
facts and events, for the purpose of defrauding another.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

false

adj
1: not in accordance with the fact or reality or actuality; "gave false
testimony under oath"; "false tales of bravery" [ant: true]

<snip>

5: inappropriate to reality or facts; "delusive faith in a wonder drug";
"delusive expectations"; "false hopes" [syn: delusive]

6: not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article; "it
isn't fake anything; it's real synthetic fur"; "faux pearls"; "false
teeth"; "decorated with imitation palm leaves"; "a purse of simulated
alligator hide" [syn: fake, faux, imitation, simulated]

7: designed to deceive; "a suitcase with a false bottom"

<snip>

9: adopted in order to deceive; "an assumed name"; "an assumed
cheerfulness"; "a fictitious address"; "fictive sympathy"; "a pretended
interest"; "a put-on childish voice"; "sham modesty" [syn: assumed,
fictitious, fictive, pretended, put on, sham]

10: (used especially of persons) not dependable in devotion or
affection; unfaithful; "a false friend; "when lovers prove untrue" [syn:
untrue] adv : in a disloyal and faithless manner; "he behaved
treacherously"; "his wife played him false" [syn: faithlessly,
traitorously, treacherously, treasonably]

________________
Prophet

proph•et ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prft)
n.
A person who speaks by divine inspiration or as the interpreter through
whom the will of a god is expressed.
A person gifted with profound moral insight and exceptional powers of
expression.
A predictor; a soothsayer.
The chief spokesperson of a movement or cause.

Prophets: (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The second of the three
divisions of the Hebrew Scriptures, comprising the books of Joshua,
Judges, Samuel, Kings, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and the Twelve. Used
with the. See table at Bible.

Prophet: One of the prophets mentioned in the Bible, especially one
believed to be the author of one of these books. Used with the.

Prophet: Islam. Muhammad. Used with the.

[Middle English prophete, from Old French, from Latin prophta, from
Greek prophts : pro-, before; see pro-2 + -phts, speaker (from phanai,
to speak. See bh-2 in Indo-European Roots).]

Prophet

\Proph"et\, n. [F. proph[`e]te, L. propheta, fr. Gr. ?, literally, one
who speaks for another, especially, one who speaks for a god an
interprets his will to man, fr. ? to say beforehand; ? for, before + ?
to say or speak. See Fame. ] 1. One who prophesies, or foretells events;
a predicter; a foreteller.

2. One inspired or instructed by God to speak in his name, or announce
future events, as, Moses, Elijah, etc.

3. An interpreter; a spokesman. [R.] --Ex. vii. 1.

School of the prophets (Anc. Jewish Hist.), a school or college in which
young men were educated and trained for public teachers or members of
the prophetic order. These students were called sons of the prophets.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Prophet

n 1: an authoritative person who divines the future [syn: oracle] 2:
someone who speaks by divine inspiration; someone who is an interpreter
of the will of God [syn: religious leader]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Prophet

(Heb. nabi, from a root meaning "to bubble forth, as from a fountain,"
hence "to utter", comp. Ps. 45:1). This Hebrew word is the first and the
most generally used for a prophet. In the time of Samuel another word,
_ro'eh_, "seer", began to be used (1 Sam. 9:9). It occurs seven times in
reference to Samuel. Afterwards another word, _hozeh_, "seer" (2 Sam.
24:11), was employed. In 1 Ch. 29:29 all these three words are used:
"Samuel the seer (ro'eh), Nathan the prophet (nabi'), Gad the seer"
(hozeh). In Josh. 13:22 Balaam is called (Heb.) a _kosem_ "diviner," a
word used only of a false prophet.

The "prophet" proclaimed the message given to him, as the "seer" beheld
the vision of God. (See Num. 12:6, 8.) Thus a prophet was a spokesman
for God; he spake in God's name and by his authority (Ex. 7:1). He is
the mouth by which God speaks to men (Jer. 1:9; Isa. 51:16), and hence
what the prophet says is not of man but of God (2 Pet. 1:20, 21; comp.
Heb. 3:7; Acts 4:25; 28:25). Prophets were the immediate organs of God
for the communication of his mind and will to men (Deut. 18:18, 19). The
whole Word of God may in this general sense be spoken of as prophetic,
inasmuch as it was written by men who received the revelation they
communicated from God, no matter what its nature might be.

The foretelling of future events was not a necessary but only an
incidental part of the prophetic office. The great task assigned to the
prophets whom God raised up among the people was "to correct moral and
religious abuses, to proclaim the great moral and religious truths which
are connected with the character of God, and which lie at the foundation
of his government."

Any one being a spokesman for God to man might thus be called a prophet.
Thus Enoch, Abraham, and the patriarchs, as bearers of God's message
(Gen. 20:7; Ex. 7:1; Ps. 105:15), as also Moses (Deut. 18:15; 34:10;
Hos. 12:13), are ranked among the prophets. The seventy elders of Israel
(Num. 11:16-29), "when the spirit rested upon them, prophesied;" Asaph
and Jeduthun "prophesied with a harp" (1 Chr. 25:3).

Miriam and Deborah were prophetesses (Ex. 15:20; Judg. 4:4).
The title thus has a general application to all who have messages from
God to men. But while the prophetic gift was thus exercised from the
beginning, the prophetical order as such began with Samuel. Colleges,
"schools of the prophets", were instituted for the training of prophets,
who were constituted, a distinct order (1 Sam. 19:18-24; 2 Kings 2:3,
15; 4:38), which continued to the close of the Old Testament. Such
"schools" were established at Ramah, Bethel, Gilgal, Gibeah, and
Jericho. The "sons" or "disciples" of the prophets were young men (2
Kings 5:22; 9:1, 4) who lived together at these different "schools"
(4:38-41). These young men were taught not only the rudiments of secular
knowledge, but they were brought up to exercise the office of prophet,
"to preach pure morality and the heart-felt worship of Jehovah, and to
act along and co-ordinately with the priesthood and monarchy in guiding
the state aright and checking all attempts at illegality and tyranny."

In New Testament times the prophetical office was continued. Our Lord is
frequently spoken of as a prophet (Luke 13:33; 24:19). He was and is the
great Prophet of the Church. There was also in the Church a distinct
order of prophets (1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 2:20; 3:5), who made new
revelations from God. They differed from the "teacher," whose office it
was to impart truths already revealed.

Of the Old Testament prophets there are sixteen, whose prophecies form
part of the inspired canon. These are divided into four groups: (1.) The
prophets of the northern kingdom (Israel), viz., Hosea, Amos, Joel, Jonah.

(2.) The prophets of Judah,
viz., Isaiah, Jeremiah, Obadiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah.

(3.) The prophets of Captivity,
viz., Ezekiel and Daniel.

(4.) The prophets of the Restoration,
viz., Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.

Source: Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Scripture:
________________
False,

Exo. 20:16, Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Exo. 23:1, Thou shalt not raise a false report: put not thine hand with
the wicked to be an unrighteous witness.

Deut. 19:16-19 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify
against him that which is wrong; Then both the men, between whom the
controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the
judges, which shall be in those days; And the judges shall make
diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness,
and hath testified falsely against his brother; Then shall ye do unto
him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put
the evil away from among you.

Prov. 14:5, A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will
utter lies.

Prov. 19:5, A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that
speaketh lies shall not escape.

Acts 13:6, And when they had gone through the isle unto Paphos, they
found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Barjesus:

Gal. 2:4, And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who
came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus,
that they might bring us into bondage:

2 Pet. 2:1, But there were false prophets also among the people, even as
there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in
damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring
upon themselves swift destruction.

1 John 4:1-3, Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits
whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into
the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that
confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every
spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not
of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard
that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Rev. 16:13, And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the
mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the
mouth of the false prophet.

Rev. 19:20, And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that
wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had
received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image.
These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Rev. 20:10, And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of
fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall
be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

______________
False Prophets,

Mt 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s
clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Mt 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

Mt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and
shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible,
they shall deceive the very elect.

Mr 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall
shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

Lu 6:26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did
their fathers to the false prophets.

2 Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as
there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in
damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring
upon themselves swift destruction.

1 Jo 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether
they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

There are more scriptures which should be examined, but this post is
already too long.

________________
End references.

Now, admitting that it would be easy to become obsessed with false
prophets, and spend too much time worrying about them or attempting to
identify them, I must ask, "Is the other extreme safe?" Should the
mature Christian completely ignore false prophets and false prophecy?

To be continued.

--
oldwetdog
-----

GENTLEOWL SPIRIT

Jan 1, 2004, 11:53:08 PM1/1/04
I don't usually post at the top, but I must say this is wonderful. Thanks
so much...Peace, Sioux

"oldwetdog" <old*wet*dog@netscapeD0Tnet> wrote in message

Mike Barefield

Jan 2, 2004, 8:27:34 AM1/2/04
First thanks for the time you put into this. I have a few comments below,
but will snip most of your response in my reply to save space.

"oldwetdog" <old*wet*dog@netscapeD0Tnet> wrote in message

This probably a good point to make my comment.

I think we need to deal with this verse as well...

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some,
evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the
edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the
Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the
fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried
about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning
craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which
is the head, even Christ:

Jesus, Himself gave apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers to
the church. Why? For us to grow up, to become mature in Christ. For how
long are they to do this? Until we come into the unity of the faith, until
we have the knowledge of the Son of God (I think that is more than a passing
knowledge, but into full relationship) and until we are mature - like
Christ, not Christs our selves, but like Him. Their work will keep us from
being tossed to and fro and carried away with every wind of doctrine, by the
slieght of men wanting to deceive us (false prophets), by speaking the truth
in love.

Now, to me you cannot talk about the false prophets unless we also enbrace
how Christ, Himself, wants to deal with that issue in the church and that is
by the work of the offices He placed there. Now it is some what problematic
in that the false ones try to impersonate the real ones. But, we must let
the offices that Jesus set up, do their job and help us become mature so
that we can recognize the false and not be deceived.

Just my thoughts...

Mike

matt

Jan 2, 2004, 11:08:29 AM1/2/04

Benny Hinn owns his church he is the officer of the church.

Plus what church did christ set up which denomination?

Matt

Mike Barefield

Jan 2, 2004, 11:59:22 AM1/2/04

"matt" <mattbr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Does this invalidate Ephesians 4:11 -15? Yes, there are pastors who operate
in error, I assume you believe Benny Hinn to be one of these. I think I
mentioned that above that their would be the "false" that would assume the
roles that Jesus established, but we cannot throw out God's plan for the
church and come up with our own. He, Jesus, is the Head of the church and
we are the body. We need to follow the head. The head of the church says
that He is providing us a way to deal with the false by the use of these 5
gifts to the church.

I think the confusion can come in when we see one of the gifts beign
misused, a pastor for example who is teaching false doctrine. If we deny
the other gifts maybe this person will get a way with it. But, Apostles,
evangelists, prophets, other pastors and teachers should also be listened to
as well, not just one pastor, help us mature and recongnize the false.

> Plus what church did christ set up which denomination?

None. You will not find denominations in the bible. He set up one church
with Him as the head. We are to assemble together and worship and be taught
and teach and share and grow in a local assembly where a pastor is the local
under shepard. The assembly time does not mean we do not study and
fellowship on our own, both are required according to the Bible.

It is important to get into the "right" church for you. There are many good
churches in most towns and cities, but we need to belong to the one that God
chooses for us and not just move around. Commitment builds the body, puts
us into accountabliltiy with people that know us and allows us to support a
church with our gifts, finances, help.

> Matt

I would like to hear your thoughts on my post. I may have come across a
little terse, but I was writing to the point and not in anyway to show a
wrong attitude.

Mike

Griz

Jan 2, 2004, 1:02:16 PM1/2/04
Wow, long is right, but still an excellent study OWD.

Thanks for sharing.

(I've snipped it for space, because it looks like a lot of others are
already including it in their replies)

Yours in Christ,

Griz

matt

Jan 2, 2004, 1:44:20 PM1/2/04
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 16:59:22 GMT, "Mike Barefield"
<littlej_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Christ Church will go on forever. With the Age of TV some ministers
have taken to falsehood, same with the internet. They call themselves
teachers but are more concerned about money or power.

>I think the confusion can come in when we see one of the gifts beign
>misused, a pastor for example who is teaching false doctrine. If we deny
>the other gifts maybe this person will get a way with it. But, Apostles,
>evangelists, prophets, other pastors and teachers should also be listened to
>as well, not just one pastor, help us mature and recongnize the false.

Yes I listen to many, even those I disagree with. They might know
more than I do or teach me something new. Many on the NGs have taught
me little things that when put together make so much sense. Makes me
wonder was I actually that stupid as not to have seen this before.

>> Plus what church did christ set up which denomination?
>
>None. You will not find denominations in the bible. He set up one church
>with Him as the head. We are to assemble together and worship and be taught
>and teach and share and grow in a local assembly where a pastor is the local
>under shepard. The assembly time does not mean we do not study and
>fellowship on our own, both are required according to the Bible.

Yes I agree.

>It is important to get into the "right" church for you. There are many good
>churches in most towns and cities, but we need to belong to the one that God
>chooses for us and not just move around. Commitment builds the body, puts
>us into accountabliltiy with people that know us and allows us to support a
>church with our gifts, finances, help.

Yes that is why when a friend ask me to go to Church with them or see
a new minister, I normally do. I would not have found out how bad
Benny Hinn was if I hadn't gone in person. What you see on TV is very
well controlled. In person you see what he is.

>> Matt
>
>I would like to hear your thoughts on my post. I may have come across a
>little terse, but I was writing to the point and not in anyway to show a
>wrong attitude.

I like your post. Sometimes I know I come across Terse. When someone
tries to tell me what to do get that way fast. That is a fault I have
that people have as much freedom as possible.

This is a free NG and there is a small group that wants to control it.
Not sure why.

Matt

oldwetdog

Jan 2, 2004, 2:03:12 PM1/2/04
Griz wrote:

Thanks for your comment, Griz.

Yes, I think people should snip long posts, and top posters will be ignored.

--
oldwetdog
-----
"Sophistry is not a system of ideas, but a vicious attitude of the
mind." Jacques Maritain
http://www.xprt.net/~servitum/

.

oldwetdog

Jan 2, 2004, 2:28:56 PM1/2/04
Mike Barefield wrote:

> "oldwetdog" <old*wet*dog@netscapeD0Tnet> wrote in message
>
>>This is longer than I intended.
>>It might be a good idea to save it and read it offline.
>>
>>Part one.
>>

> This probably a good point to make my comment.

> I think we need to deal with this verse as well...
>
> Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some,
> evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
>
> 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the
> edifying of the body of Christ:
>
> 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the
> Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the
> fulness of Christ:
>
> 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried
> about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning
> craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
>
> 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which
> is the head, even Christ:
>

>Now, to me you cannot talk about the false prophets unless we also

>enbrace
>how Christ, Himself, wants to deal with that issue in the church and
>that is
>by the work of the offices He placed there.

It seems to me that you did fine in quoting the scripture, but went
astray when you *insert* an interpretation *into* it.

>Now it is some what problematic
>in that the false ones try to impersonate the real ones. But, we must
>let the offices that Jesus set up,

By the time you get to this conclusion you have gone comletely astray.

> do their job and help us become mature so
>that we can recognize the false and not be deceived.

The result is that you surrender your responsibility for what *you*
believe to someone else.
What is worse, is that you wish to teach others that they should not
exercise their own judgement and discernment in recognizing false
doctrine, false teachers and false prophets, but that they should submit
blindly to their leaders (who may be false).

Mike Barefield

Jan 2, 2004, 5:08:04 PM1/2/04

"oldwetdog" <old*wet*dog@netscapeD0Tnet> wrote in message

I must have not been clear enough. I am not recommending that we
personnally stop following the word or the HS in us. If you got that idea
from what I said, I am happy to clear up that point. I am merely saying
that input from a pastor, teacher, apostle, evangelist and / prophet is
valid as well and meant to provide us help according to the scripture I
quoted.

Chayil

Jan 5, 2004, 12:47:23 PM1/5/04

"oldwetdog" <old*wet*dog@netscapeD0Tnet> wrote in message

Hi Old Wet Dog,

Very good study. I appreciate for one it.

God Bless,
Chayil

oldwetdog

Jan 5, 2004, 1:52:16 PM1/5/04