Calvin's stepson and daughter-in-law

David Anderson

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Greetings to all readers,

And praise, glory, and honor to Jesus Christ, King of all things - including
the internet!

According to Gene Edwards in "How to Meet Under the Headship of Jesus Christ"
(1993: Message Ministry) page 159, the two persons in the subject line above
were both drowned in Geneva as punishment for sexual sins. (Elsewhere in the
same book, I noticed great carelessness with certain historical data.)

So, could someone please direct me to a source where this matter can actually
be documented? Much thanks.

David Anderson
Bristol, Tennessee
http://www.homechurch.org

Dictator for Life

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

I *think* this is inaccurate.

IIRC Calvin's wife died young and he never remarried: hence no stepchildren and
no children, either.

DfL

--
"I think that they should observe the rule of law." --
Bill Clinton, 2000-03-29

Raul Goulden

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

> IIRC Calvin's wife died young and he never remarried: hence no
stepchildren and
> no children, either.
>
> DfL

His wife was married previously to an anabaptist, so
there could have been children there.

RG

Dictator for Life

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

I didn't know that!

Thanks for the info.

The DataRat

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

"According to Gene Edwards in 'How
to Meet Under the Headship of Jesus
Christ' (1993: Message Ministry) page
159, the two persons in the subject
line above were both drowned in
Geneva as punishment for sexual sins"

The Genevan Rodent is aware that
a daughter-in-law of the Great Reformer
and one of Dr. Calvin's household
servants were convicted of adultery in
Geneva.

Don't know what their punishment was,
but in Christian Europe they DIDN'T
fool around with adulterers back then.

This may be hard for us to comprehend
today in the United States of Adultery.
Indeed, many find it incomprehensible
that adultery remains a criminal offense
in some states ( for example, in Arizona ),
and you can be sent to jail for it.

The DataRat

Raul Goulden

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

> This may be hard for us to comprehend
> today in the United States of Adultery.
> Indeed, many find it incomprehensible
> that adultery remains a criminal offense
> in some states ( for example, in Arizona ),
> and you can be sent to jail for it.
> The DataRat

So how many arrests do you usually make on that charge DR?

I would love to see some enforcement on ~THAT~ little law.

RG

The DataRat

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

"Calvin's wife died young and he never
remarried: hence no stepchildren and
no children, either"

Idelette de Bure died nine years after
she married Dr. Calvin. She was the
widow of John Storder, an Anabaptist
the Great Reformer had converted
( and, who died of plague ).

Idelette Calvin bore a son to Dr. Calvin
in 1542 who died a few days after birth.
As your favorite rodent recalls, Idelette
brought a step son into the marriage.

She died in 1549.

The DataRat

The DataRat

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
"I would love to see some
enforcement on ~THAT~
little law"

So would your favorite rodent !

But, alas, the county attorney
refuses to file on adultery cases.

Nor will he file on sexual conduct
with a minor ...unless the child is
under age 15.

If anybody is interested, the
statute is A.R.S. 13-1408.
You can view it at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/1408.htm

The DataRat

SJS

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
"David Anderson" <ze...@mounet.com> wrote...

> Greetings to all readers,
> And praise, glory, and honor to Jesus Christ, King of all things -
including
> the internet!

> According to Gene Edwards in "How to Meet Under the Headship of Jesus
Christ"
> (1993: Message Ministry) page 159, the two persons in the subject line
above

> were both drowned in Geneva as punishment for sexual sins. (Elsewhere in
the
> same book, I noticed great carelessness with certain historical data.)
> So, could someone please direct me to a source where this matter can
actually
> be documented? Much thanks.

Calvin was married to Idellette du Bure, who was a widow with two children.
After she passed away (1549), he took care of her children. His
step-daughter, Judith, confessed to and was convicted of committing adultery
in 1557. Calvin did not come out of his home for three days after her
confession because of his humiliation.

I can't say for certain what her sentence was. However, it appears that at
least some of Edwards' facts are in error, since it was his step daughter
who was convicted, not stepson (I suppose it's possible that Idellette's
other child was a son who was also convicted but I have never heard that).
Also see Schaff's comments on discipline in Geneva:
http://www.ccel.org/s/schaff/history/8_ch13.htm

____Begin Quote____
Excommunication should be exercised only against flagitious crimes which
disgrace the Christian profession; such as adultery, fornication, theft,
robbery, sedition, perjury, contempt of God and his authority. Nor should it
be exercised by the bishop or pastor alone, but by the body of elders, and,
as is pointed out by Paul, "with the knowledge and approbation of the
congregation; in such a manner, however, that the multitude of the people
may not direct the proceeding, but may watch over it as witnesses and
guardians, that nothing be done by a few persons from any improper motive."
Moreover, "the severity of the Church must be tempered by a spirit of
gentleness. For there is constant need of the greatest caution, according to
the injunction of Paul concerning a person who may have been censured, 'lest
by any means such a one should be swallowed up with his overmuch sorrow' (2
Cor. 2:7); for thus a remedy would become a poison."

When the sinner gives reasonable evidence of repentance he is to be
restored. Calvin objects to "the excessive austerity of the ancients," who
refused to readmit the lapsed. He approves of the course of Cyprian, who
says: "Our patience and kindness and tenderness is ready for all who come; I
wish all to return into the Church; I wish all our fellow-soldiers to be
assembled in the camp of Christ, and all our brethren to be received into
the house of God our Father. I forgive everything; I conceal much. With
ready and sincere affection I embrace those who return with penitence."
Calvin adds: "Such as are expelled from the Church, it is not for us to
expunge from the number of the elect, or to despair of them as already lost.
It is proper to consider them as strangers to the Church, and consequently
to Christ, but this only as long as they remain in a state of exclusion. And
even then let us hope better things of them for the future, and not cease to
pray to God on their behalf. Let us not condemn to eternal death the
offender, nor prescribe laws to the mercy of God who can change the worst of
men into the best." He makes a distinction between excommunication and
anathema; the former censures and punishes with a view to reformation and
restoration; the latter precludes all pardon, and devotes a person to
eternal perdition. Anathema ought never to be resorted to, or at least very
rarely. Church members ought to exert all means in their power to promote
the reformation of an excommunicated person, and admonish him not as an
enemy, but as a brother (2 Cor. 2:8). "Unless this tenderness be observed by
the individual members as well as by the Church collectively, our discipline
will be in danger of speedily degenerating into cruelty."
___End Quote___

If the standard sentence for adultery was excommunication until repentance,
I find it hard to believe that Calvin's own step-daughter would be executed.
If she had committed adultery twice, however, in Geneva, I believe the
second offence would result in execution. However, my guess is that if his
stepdaughter was executed, she would receive nearly as much publicity as
Servetus and somebody here would know about it, but I suppose that's an
argument from silence.

God bless,
Scott

ksr622002

Aug 8, 2023, 1:40:36 AM8/8/23
She was not executed. Her and her lover were whipped and Her lover was exiled and
she was later readmitted to communion 3 months later upon her repentance.