Calvinist pastor resigns Baptist church

Anonymous Sender

Aug 10, 2003, 1:21:59 AM8/10/03
Lawson reportedly resigning

Administrator says senior pastor to resign because of conflict with some in
congregation

01/10/03

By KRISTEN CAMPBELL
MOBILE REGISTER Religion Reporter

The Rev. Steven J. Lawson, senior pastor of Dauphin Way Baptist Church
since 1995, plans to announce his resignation Jan. 19, said Benny Riley,
administrator of the Dauphin Street congregation.

Lawson could not be reached for comment Thursday.

But Riley said Lawson, whose beliefs about evangelism and salvation have
concerned some members of the congregation, decided to leave because "he
didn't want to fight the church he was pastoring."

Thursday, members of Dauphin Way Baptist Church re ceived postcards, dated
Wednesday, stating that a business meeting would take place Jan. 19. On
that day, the card stated, "Dr. Lawson will resign, along with all of the
full-time pastors, during the morning worship service. A resolution will be
presented and voted on regarding matters of their resignations following
the service."

Dissension among church members has surfaced repeatedly during the years
since Lawson became pastor there. In 1997, about 120 members of Dauphin Way
Baptist Church left the congregation to form Dayspring Baptist Church.

At that time, some of those who left Dauphin Way said they were dismayed
that church leaders weren't as committed to evangelism as they might be.

During the past several weeks, an anonymous group identifying itself as
"Concerned Members of Dauphin Way Baptist Church" mailed a letter to church
members. The letter identified a few matters that disturbed the group,
including doctrinal differences and the congregation's declining
membership, and requested the resignations of Lawson and his staff.

Between 1,500 and 2,000 people regularly attended Sunday services in 1996,
while about 650 attend Sunday services now, Riley said.

Lawson responded to the issues during a Sunday school session held shortly
after members received the typed, two-page letter, Riley said.

Riley, whose resignation will be among those offered during the Jan. 19
meeting, acknowledged that the church's membership has dropped in recent
years. In 1995, the church reportedly had close to 7,000 members on its
rolls; today, Riley said, about 3,000 people remain members at Dauphin Way
Baptist Church.

"It has declined under Dr. Lawson, and he's very grieved about that," Riley
said.

Riley said Lawson, who received a master's degree in theology and a
doctorate of ministry from conservative nondenominational institutions --
not Southern Baptist seminaries -- also addressed his beliefs regarding
Calvinism during the Sunday school session.

The theological system of John Calvin is distinguished by its emphasis on
predestination, the doctrine stating that God chooses in advance those who
will receive eternal life.

Such teaching, some say, renders meaningless evangelism and missionary
work, key tasks for many Southern Baptists.

But a three-page outline that defines Lawson's beliefs about salvation
states, "The Bible teaches the church's mandate from God to be involved in
positive outreach, aggressive evangelism and world-wide missions." Lawson
also cites Scripture passages to support his belief that "out of the
hell-bound human race, God has chosen, for His own glory, a great and vast
multitude to be saved."

Riley said he is not certain what Lawson will do after announcing his
resignation; Riley said others announcing their departures Jan. 19 include
Chuck Finster, minister of young adults and children, and Rick Melson,
minister of music and worship.

A search committee has not yet been appointed to seek Dauphin Way Baptist
Church's next pastor, Riley said.

Ben mitts

Aug 10, 2003, 11:45:02 AM8/10/03

When those who support God in all
his Glory through the teaching of
right doctrine found in The Bible
wont be out of The Church for very
long!

God will always keep those in His
stead and at work serving Him as
long as they Believe thusly:

16 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain
which Jesus had designated.
17 And when they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful
18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has
been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am
with you always, even to the end of the age.”

The True Christian Church Evangelizes!

The True Christian Church that evangelizes
fills it's Congregations with people who have
a vibrant desire to Evangelize!

The Evangelistic Church that quits Evangelizing
will suffer when those who Evangelize are not
needed so they leave to seek other Churches that
do- unfortunately no Church is immune to this!

--
Peace!

Sincerely,
Ben mitts

From The Word of God: And as Moses lifted up the serpent
in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted
up; that whoever believes may in Him have eternal life."
Similarly, God so loved the world, that He gave His only
begotten Son, that who ever believes in Him should not
perish, but Have eternal life. Another: God did not send
the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the
world should be saved through Him. He spoke elsewhere: I
am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me
shall live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and
believes in Me shall never die. Believe you this?

Therefore we may, as many will to do so: "But as many as
received Him, to them He gave the right to become child-
ren of God, even to those who believe in His name,"
(John 1:12)

JMB

Aug 11, 2003, 4:20:51 PM8/11/03
That's sad. The only Calvinist church that remains strong today is the
PRC (http://www.prca.org). And when strong, I only mean doctrinally.
The number of worshippers is always decreasing. They have a strong
ratification system for doctrines, a contract by which any of those
dissenting from Calvinist teachings must resign and part ways, and so
on. My opinion? Those who don't like a church's doctrines ought to go
find another church rather than attempt to pervert the church they
dislike.

-JMB

bshow12

Aug 13, 2003, 4:51:26 PM8/13/03
Anonymous Sender <anon...@remailer.metacolo.com> wrote in message news:<de0a873ec9a3db02...@remailer.metacolo.com>...
> Lawson reportedly resigning
>
> Administrator says senior pastor to resign because of conflict with some in
> congregation
>
> 01/10/03
>
> By KRISTEN CAMPBELL
> MOBILE REGISTER Religion Reporter
>
> The Rev. Steven J. Lawson, senior pastor of Dauphin Way Baptist Church
> since 1995, plans to announce his resignation Jan. 19, said Benny Riley,
> administrator of the Dauphin Street congregation.
>
> Lawson could not be reached for comment Thursday.
>
> But Riley said Lawson, whose beliefs about evangelism and salvation have
> concerned some members of the congregation, decided to leave because "he
> didn't want to fight the church he was pastoring."
>
> Thursday, members of Dauphin Way Baptist Church re ceived postcards, dated
> Wednesday, stating that a business meeting would take place Jan. 19. On
> that day, the card stated, "Dr. Lawson will resign, along with all of the
> full-time pastors, during the morning worship service. A resolution will be
> presented and voted on regarding matters of their resignations following
> the service."
>
> Dissension among church members has surfaced repeatedly during the years
> since Lawson became pastor there. In 1997, about 120 members of Dauphin Way
> Baptist Church left the congregation to form Dayspring Baptist Church.
>
> At that time, some of those who left Dauphin Way said they were dismayed
> that church leaders weren't as committed to evangelism as they might be.

OK, a valid concern.

> During the past several weeks, an anonymous group identifying itself as
> "Concerned Members of Dauphin Way Baptist Church" mailed a letter to church
> members. The letter identified a few matters that disturbed the group,
> including doctrinal differences and the congregation's declining
> membership, and requested the resignations of Lawson and his staff.

Well, is it that, or the commitment to evangelism?

> Between 1,500 and 2,000 people regularly attended Sunday services in 1996,
> while about 650 attend Sunday services now, Riley said.
>
> Lawson responded to the issues during a Sunday school session held shortly
> after members received the typed, two-page letter, Riley said.
>
> Riley, whose resignation will be among those offered during the Jan. 19
> meeting, acknowledged that the church's membership has dropped in recent
> years. In 1995, the church reportedly had close to 7,000 members on its
> rolls; today, Riley said, about 3,000 people remain members at Dauphin Way
> Baptist Church.
>
> "It has declined under Dr. Lawson, and he's very grieved about that," Riley
> said.
>
> Riley said Lawson, who received a master's degree in theology and a
> doctorate of ministry from conservative nondenominational institutions --
> not Southern Baptist seminaries -- also addressed his beliefs regarding
> Calvinism during the Sunday school session.
>
> The theological system of John Calvin is distinguished by its emphasis on
> predestination, the doctrine stating that God chooses in advance those who
> will receive eternal life.

That's the theological system of Scripture, not just of John Calvin.

> Such teaching, some say, renders meaningless evangelism and missionary
> work, key tasks for many Southern Baptists.

Well, those who say that are sadly misinformed. A most ignorant
statement indeed.

> But a three-page outline that defines Lawson's beliefs about salvation
> states, "The Bible teaches the church's mandate from God to be involved in
> positive outreach, aggressive evangelism and world-wide missions." Lawson
> also cites Scripture passages to support his belief that "out of the
> hell-bound human race, God has chosen, for His own glory, a great and vast
> multitude to be saved."

Which is the teaching of Calvinism and Scripture.

> Riley said he is not certain what Lawson will do after announcing his
> resignation; Riley said others announcing their departures Jan. 19 include
> Chuck Finster, minister of young adults and children, and Rick Melson,
> minister of music and worship.
>
> A search committee has not yet been appointed to seek Dauphin Way Baptist
> Church's next pastor, Riley said.

Most Southern Baptists unfortunately have only been exposed to silly
caricatures of Calvinism. Pray that the Southern Baptists rediscover
their roots.

2529...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2020, 4:26:55 PM2/9/20
The lack of Evangelism Does Not Happen to those churches who Receive Gods Doctrine of Predestination and Election...When in Fact it is The gasoline that is poured on the Fire of every True Believer. These Words and Doctrines did Not start With Spurgeon or in The 16th century or in the first century Writings of The Church Fathers....But These Are Gods Words, These are a Gods Doctrine. Predestination is the biggest Pride Killing Doctrine...And we Steal Gods Glory by saying that Dead people have life outside of The Spirit Regeneratiing us .Refusing the true definitions of ForeKnowledge, And The Call...Shame on us who elevate man and Humanize God...Romans 11:33-36

thfra...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2020, 1:15:21 PM2/10/20
I know this is a very old post, but I will respond to it anyway, because Calvinism is alive and well on planet earth. :) So... let's get this straight... you are justifying any Church reduction in attendance by saying, 'good riddance - they weren't chosen anyway. accept our dogma or leave!'? Wow. I am impressed by the Christlikeness of that statement! Calvinist doctrine is a perversion of the truth anyway - it wasn't even 'invented' until Augustine, and then Calvin just copied it. Although Calvinists generally claim to be 'smarter' than us and more intellectual (we non-Calvinists "just can't understand it" - it's too deep) - you really are following a heresy that Augustine eventually succumbed to - did you even know (you probably didn't, even tho you are intellectually superior to me) that Augustine taught FREE WILL for 25 years before he succumbed? So this FACT begs the following questions - 1. Did Augustine succumb because he got dumber or smarter? 2. All during those 25 years that he defended man's basic free will, and when Augustine gave Scripture after Scripture to support his (correct) defense - was he lying or stupid? Either way, he is discredited. 3. If Augustine was deceived for 25 years and then suddenly succumbed and 'saw the light' - should we believe him now when he was so deceived for 25 years and taught (what Calvinists would say is) heresy? Hmmm... food for thought... Plus, the last time I checked, Augustine’s writings were not inspired (Calvinists say that the ‘seeds’ of Calvinism were in the NT, but the doctrines were more ‘fully developed’ later on) – and I think Jesus and Paul and other disciples, who were taught by Jesus – were way ‘deeper’ than Augustine anyway, and I also believe that the original writings are fully sufficient. We don’t need for anyone to ‘more fully develop’ the text than it already is, thank you.