My Holidays - Life changing

~Sandra~

Aug 7, 2001, 1:27:35 PM8/7/01
After two weeks of joyful, peace, and relaxing moments in the sand and sun, I
feel refreshed and ready to get back to work. It's been a good day so far and
the kids were all very excited to be back at daycare. Likewise, I had missed
them and was happy to see them again. One came fully potty trained and the
other one is talking up a storm. LOL

We spent two weeks at Arrowhead Provincial Park. What a nice park I tell ya.
Kids had a wonderful time and I feel so refreshed and actually had time to read
my first book in years!!! I'm addicted now! LOL

We had a scary moment where my son almost drowned and that moment changed my
life forever. I know we talk about quitting daycare alot and the subject has
come up over and over about 'i've had enough', blah, blah, but I've decided that
after this one last year I will no longer be doing daycare. I am going to try
and put away some money this year and get a different job where I can be with my
kids all summer long - a school secretary sounds inviting to me and I'd really
love to do that sort of thing.
For the skeptics it's not that I don't love my job now...I love the kids and I
put 150 percent of my effort into my career, but there are life changing moments
where you realize what keeps you away from your kids. I started this job to be
home with my kids but I feel so distant from them because of all the time, focus
and energy this job sucks out of me. With my children both in school full time
this year, it'll be easier for me to go to work outside of my home. I can leave
my work at work and home will be home again.

Anyways...holidays do wonders for your soul, mind and body. You should all try
it sometime. Glad to be back.

--

~Sandra~

Daisy

Aug 7, 2001, 1:42:58 PM8/7/01
We're happy to have you back too sweetie...what happened with your son?

Daisy

"~Sandra~" <luv2b...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

~Sandra~

Aug 7, 2001, 2:14:02 PM8/7/01
After sitting in the humid sun and temperatures soaring at 38 degrees Celcius,we
decided to all go swimming at the lake and spend the day at the beach
coolingoff.

My son was very excited about having learned to swim this past couple of weeks,
going under the water, holding his breath and doing the paddle and getting on
and off his air mattress all by himself. He was so excited and pumped. The
whole time we were camping my son hanged with the boys (Daddy and Uncle)
Desperate to fit in and be 'cool' like his uncle he did almost everything they
did. He started wearing a red bandanna on his head like Uncle, teasing his dad,
sitting all hunched and hip hoppy, throwing the football and diving in the water
just like the big guys. The extent of him copying them went so far as not
having much fear of the water.

After cooling off I decided to go to shore and sit with my daughter to have a
snack. My son wanted to stay in the water with Daddy and Uncle. I reminded DH
to keep a very close eye on DS as I was leaving the water and going to shore.
He said, NO problem, I'm watching!! There are no lifeguards at Ontario
Provincial Parks and there were no buoy lines at this park at any of the
beaches.

I got a snack both for me and DD and proceeded to take a few photos of the
beach, and helped my sister fix her film in hers...then grabbed a book to read
(Harry Potter - and boy did I like that book!). I glance up before starting to
read and see that DS, DH and Uncle are playing nicely on their mats just
floating around. All within close proximity of each other and in the shallow
area. (Maybe 2 to 3 feet max.) I continue reading my book.

What must have been about 5 minutes later, I look up and see DH and UNCLE on
the other side of the lake in the deep area, goofing off and trying to throw
eachother off their air mattresses. Pretty much acting like children and having
alot of fun. I look for DS, but only see his floating blue mattress and he is
nowhere to be be found. My heart jumps a beat and I feel an awful feeling in
the pit of my stomach.
I scream out, "JESUS" and stand up....trying not to panic. I then see DS's
little head bobbing out of the water obviously with extreme panic on his face,
bluish and gasping for breath. He goes back under.
I SCREAM and run like I've never run before and snatch him up.
After what seemed like a minute he spits up a mouthful of water and his eyes
return to normal (they were rolled into his head) and he begins to wail and hang
onto me for his dear life. He was very very afraid and didn't leave my lap for
over an hour. All I could do was cry.

I look out on the lake and DH is playing with my brother not knowing what has
just transpired. DD who was very distraught and upset goes to shore and
YELLS at Daddy that her dear brother almost drowned and Daddy returns to shore.
He looks white and sick and I could tell he felt awful about having 'forgotten'
about him and having to watch him.

At the shore it was very shallow for several feet...but there was one area on
the right hand side of the beach which was full of weeds and a very deep drop
only one foot from shore. This is where I found DS. I think he was trying to
get on his mattress or he floated out there and then got off but couldnt' touch
bottom, and paniced even more when he touched the weeds. I felt absolutely sick
thinking of what he must have been thru and how scared he must have been.

DS didn't go in the water for three days but was doing full body dunks and
jumps by the time we left. DH was very careful after that...and all we did
that night was hug eachother thankful that our DS didn't die that day.

--

~Sandra~

"Daisy" <ms_d...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Daisy

Aug 7, 2001, 3:01:37 PM8/7/01
Oh my God, Sandra....I can't imagine the panic you must of went through!!
Thank goodness he is safe and sound. (((Sandra)))

Daisy

"~Sandra~" <luv2b...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

~Sandra~

Aug 7, 2001, 3:15:12 PM8/7/01
Thanks Daisy. There are no words to describe how I felt and still am feeling.

--

~Sandra~

"Daisy" <ms_d...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Tayana Whiteford

Aug 7, 2001, 3:21:00 PM8/7/01
((HUGS)) thank God you son is all right!

--

Tayana @--<--------
You never know just how you look

Jacqui T

Aug 7, 2001, 3:34:14 PM8/7/01
Hi Sandra - so glad to see you back. I'm also relieved that your son is OK.
(I'm wiping the tears off my keyboard.)

I can really see where you're coming from about leaving daycare for another
profession. I'm staying home with my girls because I want to be with them
as much as possible. They are my priority now, not a "outside" job. I'm
sure when they're in school I'll be looking for something else as well. I
know I'll like daycare & be good at it, but I can't see it as a really
longterm profession. I think this will give me a chance to take some
courses & find something else I'd like to do.

School secretary sounds like a pretty good gig - are you sure they get the
summers off too? Careful, pretty soon people will be complaining about
those secretaries & their holidays!! :-)

Jacqui
--
It may look like I'm doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite
busy.

Mariann

Aug 7, 2001, 5:20:21 PM8/7/01

"~Sandra~" <luv2b...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message...

> We had a scary moment where my son almost drowned and that moment
> changed my life forever. I know we talk about quitting daycare alot and
> the subject has come up over and over about 'i've had enough', blah,
> blah, but I've decided that after this one last year I will no longer be
> doing daycare. I am going to try and put away some money this year
> and get a different job where I can be with my kids all summer long -
> a school secretary sounds inviting to me and I'd really love to do that
> sort of thing.

Sandra, I really think that's the best thing for you, your kids, and your
family. The assistant director at CCDC refuses to go back to daycare.
She's going to work for the school system, too, so that she can have a good
full-time job with excellent benefits and her summers off to spend with her
kids. Frankly, I think it's the best thing for her. Like you, she's gone
through a lot of stressful moments, but her four kids matter more than
anything.

Child care is exhausting -- we all know that, and now, more than ever, you
should spend your time on your kids. We know that child care is a noble
field, that it's necessary and important, that the kids benefit from our
care -- but until society treats us fairly, with respect and fair
compensation, nothing will ever change. We'll still be exhausted, still be
underpaid, still be overworked, still be seeking validation for caring for
children. I don't blame you one iota for leaving the child care field, but
I hope you will stick around alt.childcare and offer words of wisdom to
those providerse still in the trenches. :)

--
Mariann
http://mariann.cjb.net

"I may disagree with everything you say, but will
defend unto death your right to say it." ~ Voltaire

~Sandra~

Aug 7, 2001, 5:32:14 PM8/7/01
Thank you Tayanna. I sure was thanking the Good Lord for making me look up from
my book!

--

~Sandra~

"Tayana Whiteford" <taz...@mn.mediaone.net> wrote in message

~Sandra~

Aug 7, 2001, 5:34:15 PM8/7/01
My husband works at the school board and I could get the job not a problem. I
was already offered one a few months back and declined it.
I am almost sure they get most of the summer off. They go back early before
school starts but the rest is off. It's something that I would like as I would
still be with kids!!

--

~Sandra~

"Jacqui T" <jacquelin...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

~Sandra~

Aug 7, 2001, 5:39:48 PM8/7/01
Thanks very much Mariann. Your words are full of wisdom and experience there.
And I totally agree 100% with everything you have just said.
The reason I am not quitting now is because I've committed myself to taking a
new infant (for a previous client whom I adore) and I would not feel a good
person if I backed down on her now before she goes back to work in September. I
will tell her that come June 2002, my doors will close. I'm trying not to take
on more children than I need to either so that no families are incredibly
inconvenienced.

I will always value and cherish the 9 years I've put into this career, and don't
regret one iota of it. The only thing I now am so saddened about is that I just
want my kids - you know. Yeah...you know. You all struggle with the same
things I'm sure.

How are things with Nicholas and the daycare scene with you now Mariann?

--

~Sandra~

"Mariann" <mari...@RyEaMhOoVoE.com> wrote in message

Mariann

Aug 7, 2001, 7:40:55 PM8/7/01

"~Sandra~" <luv2b...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message...
> How are things with Nicholas and the daycare scene with you
> now Mariann?

My mother watches Nicholas about 30 hours a week, and that will increase to
36 hours in the fall. Of course, I'd rather be the one watching him, but I
won't put him in any other daycare facility without strong reservations.
The past ten years of working in daycare give me too much experience for
being a parent, and in many ways, it's harder for me to leave him with
strangers after knowing how daycare operates in this state and knowing how
little the state really cares about its children.

I did find one that is close to work, within walking distance, but the fees
are $220 per week and that's way outside of my budget. But Grandma wants to
watch him, and she says she can for the next year, until he's closer to two,
and then we'll find daycare for him. Probably the one near my work, unless
I get another job... who knows! As long as he's happy and healthy, I live
day to day and not think too much of tomorrow.

~Sandra~

Aug 7, 2001, 8:47:20 PM8/7/01
I'm so happy that your mother is able to take him for you even for a little
while.

--

~Sandra~

"Mariann" <mari...@RyEaMhOoVoE.com> wrote in message

Jacqui T

Aug 7, 2001, 9:08:54 PM8/7/01
My mother-in-law looked after Michaela for me when I went back to work. It
was a relief to me to have someone I knew & trusted implicitly to watch my
precious one.

Jacqui

Karen

Aug 7, 2001, 9:55:00 PM8/7/01
It happens so Fast! We were at a friends pool tonite and we were all
chatting and watching the kids swim when I watched my 3 1/2 year old
swallow water and panic. I waded right in & got him but the fright in
his eyes was obvious! I'm VERY grateful that your son is O.K.! Karen

~Sandra~

Aug 7, 2001, 10:13:45 PM8/7/01
Thanks Karen. :) Glad your son is alright too. :) You have to be sooooo
careful around water.

--

~Sandra~

"Karen" <k.la...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Tilly

Aug 8, 2001, 7:45:49 AM8/8/01
Glad to hear you son is o.k. It sure does make you change after something
has happened either big or small to your child! I had a similar situation
in Jan. When my youngest fell through the ice....
It is not a feeling I wish to have again. I didn't want to let him out of
my site.
Tilly
"I love to give homemade gifts....
which one of my kids do you want?"

~Sandra~

Aug 8, 2001, 10:55:08 AM8/8/01
It's the most awful feeling. You feel relieved, scared, guilty and angry all at
once.

--

~Sandra~

"Tilly" <lti...@kwic.com> wrote in message

a.hutchinson2

Aug 9, 2001, 8:30:54 AM8/9/01
((((((hugs))))) and tears of relief. Thank God you looked up.
--
Donna
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~Sandra~

Aug 9, 2001, 9:07:00 AM8/9/01
I thank God - thanks Donna.

--

~Sandra~

"a.hutchinson2" <a.hutc...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

watson

Aug 9, 2001, 3:23:00 PM8/9/01

~Sandra~ wrote:

> We spent two weeks at Arrowhead Provincial Park. What a nice park I tell ya.
> Kids had a wonderful time and I feel so refreshed and actually had time to read
> my first book in years!!! I'm addicted now! LOL

Glad that you are feeling refreshed.

> We had a scary moment where my son almost drowned and that moment changed my
> life forever. I know we talk about quitting daycare alot and the subject has
> come up over and over about 'i've had enough', blah, blah, but I've decided that
> after this one last year I will no longer be doing daycare. I am going to try
> and put away some money this year and get a different job where I can be with my
> kids all summer long - a school secretary sounds inviting to me and I'd really
> love to do that sort of thing.

After my wonderful summer with my kids I have decided to shut my doors by Dec 6th.
I will be subsitute teaching. There is a real demand in my area. I already have a
12 week stint. Good luck with your endevor.(spelling)

> For the skeptics it's not that I don't love my job now...I love the kids and I
> put 150 percent of my effort into my career, but there are life changing moments
> where you realize what keeps you away from your kids. I started this job to be
> home with my kids but I feel so distant from them because of all the time, focus
> and energy this job sucks out of me. With my children both in school full time
> this year, it'll be easier for me to go to work outside of my home. I can leave
> my work at work and home will be home again.

I feel the same way. I felt as I was pushing my son out the door this past school
year. He wanted to play inside with his friends and I would have to tell him no
because I already had his sisters and 4 dc kids here. He'd end up play ing at his
friends house.

> Anyways...holidays do wonders for your soul, mind and body. You should all try
> it sometime. Glad to be back.

Glad your back.

Vonna

> --
>
> ~Sandra~

~Sandra~

Aug 9, 2001, 6:09:15 PM8/9/01
It's good to be back. That and sometimes the kids want their friends over and I
have to say no cause of space and numbers, and kids ruining their stuff...waking
them up in the morning, not being able to just up and go for a bike ride in the
summer or a picnic, or going to the beach etc. etc.
The list goes on.

--

~Sandra~

"watson" <vwa...@netins.net> wrote in message

Michael & Barbara

Aug 10, 2001, 7:20:17 AM8/10/01
Sandra,
In our home we call the episodes a "God Breeze". I'm glad your son is fully
recovered and enjoying the water again. How tramatic.
Now....a gentle reminder for all of us....have you reviewed your CPR/First
Aid material lately? Is your certificate up to date? Done now? Good, now,
thank God you have the ability, desire, skills and gifts to enjoy each day
and make a difference in every life you come into contact with...including
your very own special children!
Barbara

~Sandra~

Aug 10, 2001, 7:35:03 AM8/10/01