I Received My New Windows 10 Laptop

Ms Kitty

Sep 13, 2020, 10:48:50 PM9/13/20
And it took me two hours instead of two minutes to set up. It refused to
let me on without a microsoft account, which I spend most of those two hours
trying all my old passwords with different devices, one which I was locked
out of for too many tries.

After I did that on Friday, I haven't even tried to boot it up. I hate it!
WTF did Obama do to our freedom?

The Right And The Powerful

Sep 13, 2020, 10:55:54 PM9/13/20
Use a version of Linux maybe. But there is a way to get to the
desktop without having to "log on". Go to youtube and search for
that.

Ms Kitty

Sep 13, 2020, 11:02:41 PM9/13/20
I was actually thinking about doing that, but my knowledge of Linux is very
old. We used to have an expensive tower server that had Red Hat, and after
my divorce in 2004, I had to move on and only knew very little about it. I
have no one around to teach me, so, I'm not sure if I'm ready for it at my
age.

I've had Windoze computers way before Windows 95, which I was a beta tester,
along with SE, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, more that I forgot. I hate Bill
Gates!

Bill Gates never gave me one cent for all of my work!

vallor

Sep 14, 2020, 1:27:26 AM9/14/20
There is, indeed. Microsoft hides it really well though when going
through the setup.

Linux doesn't have OE, so she'd have to learn another email and/or news
program. Thunderbird does both, as does Claws mail ... for netnews, she
could use Pan, which is not only awesome, but in use by two newsgroup
regulars.

Linux, of course, kicks ass.

--
-v https://theproblemisextremism.org

Ms Kitty

Sep 14, 2020, 1:45:34 AM9/14/20

"vallor" <val...@cultnix.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 21:55:52 -0500, The Right And The Powerful wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 21:48:48 -0500, "Ms Kitty" <Mi...@Kitty.net> wrote:
>>
>>>And it took me two hours instead of two minutes to set up. It refused
>>>to let me on without a microsoft account, which I spend most of those
>>>two hours trying all my old passwords with different devices, one which
>>>I was locked out of for too many tries.
>>>
>>>After I did that on Friday, I haven't even tried to boot it up. I hate
>>>it! WTF did Obama do to our freedom?
>>>

>> Use a version of Linux maybe. But there is a way to get to the desktop
>> without having to "log on". Go to youtube and search for that.
>
> There is, indeed. Microsoft hides it really well though when going
> through the setup.

Do tell. . .

> Linux doesn't have OE, so she'd have to learn another email and/or news
> program. Thunderbird does both, as does Claws mail ... for netnews, she
> could use Pan, which is not only awesome, but in use by two newsgroup
> regulars.
>
> Linux, of course, kicks ass.

I used to have pan years ago, running of my Red Hat Server to my Windows
2000. I think it is the best newsreader, OE coming in a close 2nd. Funny
how you said "so she'd have to learn another email" like I'm some dumbass.
You liberals are the epitomy of self-righteous, pompeous assholes.

You are the example of why I'm afraid to do Linux. How could I trust you?

Sn!pe

Sep 14, 2020, 4:47:29 AM9/14/20
Ms Kitty <Mi...@Kitty.net> wrote:
[...]
> I used to have pan years ago, running of my Red Hat Server to my Windows
> 2000. I think it is the best newsreader, OE coming in a close 2nd. Funny
> how you said "so she'd have to learn another email" like I'm some dumbass.
> You liberals are the epitomy of self-righteous, pompeous assholes.

You forgot to say "snootily superior".

P.S. Get a Mac! <g>

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

vallor

Sep 14, 2020, 6:26:17 AM9/14/20
On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 09:47:27 +0100, Sn!pe wrote:

> Ms Kitty <Mi...@Kitty.net> wrote: [...]
>> I used to have pan years ago, running of my Red Hat Server to my
>> Windows 2000. I think it is the best newsreader, OE coming in a close
>> 2nd. Funny how you said "so she'd have to learn another email" like
>> I'm some dumbass.
>> You liberals are the epitomy of self-righteous, pompeous assholes.
>>

> You forgot to say "snootily superior".

And here I was, just trying to be helpful.

> P.S. Get a Mac! <g>

I'd be interested if anyone knows if Pan can be built for MacOS -- and if
so, how well does it run?

--
-v https://theproblemisextremism.org

Sn!pe

Sep 14, 2020, 6:34:49 AM9/14/20
vallor <val...@cultnix.org> wrote:

> I'd be interested if anyone knows if Pan can be built for MacOS -- and if
> so, how well does it run?

<https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/4wb9wx/how_to_get_pan_working_on_os_x/>

Caveat: it must be 64 bit for modern MacOS.

"Sir Hømer Hall, Esq."

Sep 14, 2020, 11:29:16 AM9/14/20
On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 21:48:48 -0500, "Ms Kitty" <Mi...@Kitty.net> wrote:

You don't have a Microsoft email account? I doubt that!
Just use the same account ID to log onto your new laptop.

I use my Hotmail login password - works every time...

Only a dumb girl would have trouble doing something that
simple.

Windows 10 is the best!

--
Yours Truly, Sir Gregøry

"I went to the wøøds because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the
essential facts of life, and see if I could nøt learn what it had to teach, and
nøt, when I came to die, discover that I had nøt lived." __Henry David Thøreau

Ms Kitty

Sep 15, 2020, 1:20:20 PM9/15/20

"Sn!pe" <snip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ms Kitty <Mi...@Kitty.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> I used to have pan years ago, running of my Red Hat Server to my Windows
>> 2000. I think it is the best newsreader, OE coming in a close 2nd.
>> Funny
>> how you said "so she'd have to learn another email" like I'm some
>> dumbass.
>> You liberals are the epitomy of self-righteous, pompeous assholes.
>>

> You forgot to say "snootily superior".

The word I was looking for is pecksniffian!

> P.S. Get a Mac! <g>

I have seriously considered it. I haven't been proficient in Mac since
1995-1996. It probably wouldn't be as bad as trying to learn Linux.

Ms Kitty

Sep 15, 2020, 1:21:42 PM9/15/20

""Sir Hømer Hall, Esq."" <greg_hall@høme.fake> wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 21:48:48 -0500, "Ms Kitty" <Mi...@Kitty.net> wrote:

>And it took me two hours instead of two minutes to set up. It refused to
>let me on without a microsoft account, which I spend most of those two
>hours
>trying all my old passwords with different devices, one which I was locked
>out of for too many tries.
>
>After I did that on Friday, I haven't even tried to boot it up. I hate it!
>WTF did Obama do to our freedom?

You don't have a Microsoft email account? I doubt that!
Just use the same account ID to log onto your new laptop.

I use my Hotmail login password - works every time...

Reply to Gerk's borked newsreader: I answered your question above. I have
had several Microsoft accounts. Do you ever read the posts you respond to?

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 15, 2020, 4:15:45 PM9/15/20
It IS a lot worse than learning linux. Apple tries to be different, even
when there is no point in doing so. You have to relearn quite a bit just
because MacOS IS different. The terminology is all wrong. I run windows,
linux and MacoS, and I really hate the guts of MacOS. I use it because I
have to, not because I like it. Actually, the best of those worlds usually
lies in running linux

Sn!pe

Sep 15, 2020, 4:44:50 PM9/15/20
xpoast: comp.os.linux.advocacy? That figures.

Ms Kitty

Sep 15, 2020, 6:17:22 PM9/15/20

"Peter Köhlmann" <peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote in message
Thanks for your opinion. I will have to check it out.

Ms Kitty

Sep 15, 2020, 6:19:08 PM9/15/20

"Sn!pe" <snip...@gmail.com> wrote in message
My original post was just to ac. It was <points finger> vallor, that added
it later.

Tis okay, for this post. . .but all the other stuff is getting ridiculous.

recscub...@huntzinger.com

Sep 16, 2020, 10:59:56 AM9/16/20
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 6:17:22 PM UTC-4, Ms Kitty wrote:
What's left out is that Linux has been "slavishly" copying Windows
for years, which is why their UI paradigm isn't a big jump.

In the end, no one runs an OS merely to admire its screen saver;
the value-added is in the Applications which are run. So long
as the Apps are what meets your need, don't worry if it happens
to be running under Windows, especially once you've got it up
and running. Ditto for Mac.

-hh

The Right And The Powerful

Sep 21, 2020, 10:00:58 PM9/21/20
You're a nutter and liar. Microsoft got into the OS business by
ripping off CPM. From then on it was ripping other developers work
and even copying the GUI of Apple's computers at the time. There is
nothing original coming from Microsoft, ever.

recscub...@huntzinger.com

Sep 22, 2020, 9:16:32 AM9/22/20
On Monday, September 21, 2020 at 10:00:58 PM UTC-4, The Right And The Powerful wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 07:59:54 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:

> >> Thanks for your opinion. I will have to check it out.
> >
> > What's left out is that Linux has been "slavishly" copying Windows
> > for years, which is why their UI paradigm isn't a big jump.
> >
> > In the end, no one runs an OS merely to admire its screen saver;
> > the value-added is in the Applications which are run. So long
> > as the Apps are what meets your need, don't worry if it happens
> > to be running under Windows, especially once you've got it up
> > and running. Ditto for Mac.
>
> You're a nutter and liar.

Oh, look: its the logical fallacy of trying to attack the
messenger instead of what was actually said.

By any chance, do you have contemporary experience in using
these three mentioned OSs? If not, then kindly shut up.

Likewise, do you have contemporary professional experience
in the evaluation of UIs? If not, then kindly shut up.

> Microsoft got into the OS business by ripping off CPM.

Yup! But that's not relevant to GUIs now, is it?

> From then on it was ripping other developers work and
> even copying the GUI of Apple's computers at the time.

And they weren't alone. Recall Linus Torvalds's very first
statements on why he was writing what became Linux:

"Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't
be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.
This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get
ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike
in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical
layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among
other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things
seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical
within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most
people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't
promise I'll implement them :-)"

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux#The_creation_of_Linux>

> There is nothing original coming from Microsoft, ever.

The same can be claimed for Sony too, for their "secret sauce"
was to actually commercialize the patented inventions of others,
such as the Video Recorder. Doesn't mean that they "suck", but
that their originality didn't come from patents, but in the
details that are required to successfully bring a new product
to the market (commercialization).

FYI, the above statement from Linus is an admission that Linux
was from the start an explicit ripoff of another product, which
means that for your choice of metric, Linus is no better than Bill.

-hh