low level format

1 view

frank

Aug 23, 2001, 11:30:09 PM8/23/01
anyone remember the command for a low level format?

Maxima Inc.

Aug 24, 2001, 8:05:29 AM8/24/01
hard drive manufacturer.

"frank" <fra...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Jon Osborn

Aug 24, 2001, 7:16:05 PM8/24/01
In <3B85CA40...@ix.netcom.com>, frank wrote:

> anyone remember the command for a low level format?

You need to use your hard drive controller's BIOS, in my experience.
SCSI controllers often have a low-level format option in their BIOS
configuration menus, as do the BIOS menus on some motherboards. There
are probably software packages that do low-level formatting. As far as
I know, there is no DOS command to do a low-level format.

--
Boycott Amazon.com!
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html

Stop typing amazon.com. Start typing http://www.noamazon.com

frank

Aug 24, 2001, 7:58:54 PM8/24/01
that is the way my wife answers questions. LOL
after she thinks she answers me, i start to wonder what
i asked.

frank

Aug 24, 2001, 8:11:06 PM8/24/01
i think it was dos 5.0. 6.22 maybe. but i think it was debug c:000
something.

Maxima Inc.

Aug 25, 2001, 2:13:52 PM8/25/01
you shouldn't be doing a LLF, get the program from the manufacturer, it's
not that hard of a concept.

"frank" <fra...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

William Anderson

Aug 26, 2001, 12:58:08 PM8/26/01
You can try Seagate's site
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/low_level_ata.html Low level
formatting is usually performed at the factory. Manufacturers will provide
software, but you have to be very careful when doing it on your own.

Hope this helps.

"frank" <fra...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

jig

Aug 27, 2001, 6:20:57 AM8/27/01
never seen a low level command... scsi has it integrated in the diagnostics
utility and IDE comes from the HD Mfg on floppy disk.

Diesel Dick

Aug 27, 2001, 7:15:04 AM8/27/01
Why would anyone other than manufacturer need to do a low-level format?

"frank" <fra...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

W.F. Peifer

Aug 27, 2001, 10:37:03 AM8/27/01
"Diesel Dick" <diesel...@home.com> wrote in message

> Why would anyone other than manufacturer need to do a low-level format?

Over the years, I've brought about a hundred "dead" hard drives back to life
with a LLF . . . usually drives with a bad boot sector. Running a LLF using
a different interleave makes the drive usable again. I don't trust critical
data to these drives, but they are fine for use in my A+ prep classes, for
the students to practice OS installation and configuration. Using these
drives instead of buying new or used drives has saved me a couple of
thousand dollars in class/lab materials.

Jim Handy

Aug 27, 2001, 11:23:47 AM8/27/01
I've seen alternative OS's (Linux) set up partitions that fdisk couldn't
remove.

nuker

Sep 6, 2001, 3:33:54 AM9/6/01
What's with the shitty answer you gave to someone looking for help? Bashing
people will only show the rest of the group that you're an asshole you are.
Don't even think this is an invite for a war with me. I'm just telling you
what the rest of the group is thinking. If you don't have any positive to
say then shut your fucking mouth. I won't answer your reply because your not
worth the time.

Gary

Sep 6, 2001, 7:25:17 PM9/6/01
What a PANK. Think you could use a little bit more vulgar language for you
personal attack here? Thanks, that's real helpful for the Net+
exam......dolt.

"nuker" <n...@home.com> wrote in message