Non classroom MCSE

Sam Greatbatch

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99

In their wisdom the 'management' have decided that our techies should
not go for MCSE certification. Some of the techies are v v unhappy
about this.

They are being sent on SYSOP courses covering very similar subject
areas but without the end result.

I don't think the courses will cover everything they need to take the
exams so they will have to have something extra. I was hoping to be
able to get them CBT or even book based as a last resort.

Does anyone have any suggestions - and any advice as to where they can
take their exams in the Midlands if possible?

Thanks

Sam Greatbatch
--
Training and Customer Liaison Officer
ICT Services

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

mab...@my-deja.com

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99

I have been using on Online MCSE Certification Course and it has been
good. I use it at home and at work since I just need my password and an
internet connection. It is very comprehensive, and provides
simulations, quick reference, and tests you on lessons that I have gone
through.

I have spoken to the webmaster, and the company provides corporate
discounts on their All-In-One Package which also includes MCSE, A+, and
other courses.

Here is the website:
Http://www.hotyellow98.com/usascholar/mcsep.html

Regards,
Anthony

In article <7o46qr$jc5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Jez Thomas

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
I'd recommend you all resign en-masse. Pissing off the staff is one sure
fire way of causing people to start looking for other jobs, with the
recruitment costs that go with it.

Paying good salaries & training people is a much cheaper way of doing
business.

Sam Greatbatch <samantha....@cnbc.netcentral.co.uk> wrote in message

Aaron

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
I don't know about resigning over this. Maybe the 'management'
realize many of the techs only want to have the MCSE so they
can go for another job with higher pay.

Have they said anything concrete why they don't want techs to be
MCSE, or was it just some corporate decision? Maybe the techs
would be able to sign an agreement that they will work for the
company for a year after getting the certification, or pay back the
company for the money spent. Common business contract, but
your managers might not have thought of it.

Of course we don't even know what kind of business you are in,
or what the network is like. But you have to realize, the managers
do run the business. As Jez says below, if you don't want to live
with the rule, find another employer.
--
Aaron Marks

A.O. Akintayo

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
It is hightime people realised that career development is a personal thing,
not something offered on a plate as a work of kindness.

If you are in permanent employment, you career progressions is subject to
the whims and caprices of the organisations you work for, if contracting,
you have to take time off from earning money either to study, attend courses
or take tests.

I think it is a valid point that your organisation wants to send your staff
on practical "In wild training" rather than fill them with exam theory which
has no lien with real life. They should be glad for that option.

As for getting the MCSE, they should for the want of another phrase, 'get
off their arses' get the syllabuses off the Microsoft sites, surf the Net
and get information from :-

www.microsoft.com/train_cert
www.cramsession.com

You do them a disservice if you are assuming they do not have the aptitude
to study, read up, set aside some time to practice, and at £75 a go, pay for
the tests to complete the MCSE in a reasonable 6 to 9 months. Even if it is
an exam a month. They obviously cannot completely lack initiative to chart
their own career progress.

This thing is no rocket science.

I did my CNE over 5 years ago, after working with the products for a while,
did not have the luxury for any training or any of the resources we now have
on the Net - got books worth a quarter of my monthly salary, and scrounged
and scrimped to get it all done in 3 weeks. As for my MCSE, that was bliss.

Why? (Regarding my CNE)

Determination,
The need to progress
The realisation that I am not braindead
My employer could not eventually hold me to ransom, I paid my way.

Why? (Regarding my MCSE)

Getting bored with the mundane
Needed a challenge, which was over in 3 weeks :)
Validate my knowledge (personally), not for employment purposes - been
working with NT for over 4 years

As for CBTs

Try the CBTs from CBT Systems, they can be customised for your requirements.

www.cbtsys.com

Regards,

Akin Akintayo CNE MCSE

Aaron <cha...@lave.net> wrote in message

Jez Thomas

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

Aaron <cha...@lave.net> wrote in message
> I don't know about resigning over this. Maybe the 'management'
> realize many of the techs only want to have the MCSE so they
> can go for another job with higher pay.

Pay is not generally high up the list of reasons why people leave. Bad
management & poor employee relations is.

Matthew Waterfall

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
IIP

Aaron <cha...@lave.net> wrote in message
> I don't know about resigning over this. Maybe the 'management'
> realize many of the techs only want to have the MCSE so they
> can go for another job with higher pay.

Matthew Waterfall

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Does IIP stand for Investors In People or Paper!