Re: Apple agrees to settle class action in US over throttling- $500M.

1 view

Arlen Holder

Nov 18, 2020, 7:40:42 PM11/18/20
UPDATE:
o Yet another set of lawsuits won against Apple's lawyers,
admittedly the best on the planet - and yet - they still lose $113M USD
(because Apple secretly purposefully shortened the life of iPhones)
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/esbnfB6OSmc>

See also:

o Apple to pay $113 million to settle state investigation into throttling
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/11/18/apple-fine-battery/>

o Apple agrees to pay $500M for purposefully secretly slowing down iPhones
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/apple-agrees-to-pay-iphone-owners-in-settlement-over-slowing-down-older-models/2020/03/02/c026789c-5c9d-11ea-9055-5fa12981bbbf_story.html>

o Apple admitted to the crime of purposefully secretly shortening iPhone
life
<https://www.economie.gouv.fr/files/files/directions_services/dgccrf/presse/communique/2020/CP-Ralentissement-fonctionnement-iPhone200207.pdf>

--
Apologists hate facts!

On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:47:27 +0545, Arlen Holder wrote:

> UPDATE:
> o /Apple's Plan to Pay $500 Million to Settle Lawsuit/
> /Over Secretly Throttling Older iPhones/
> /Gets Preliminary Approval today/
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/jN-h4WvWTEA>
>
> *FACTS*
> o I broke the news to this newsgroup about throttling, not the apologists.
>
> *FACTS*
> This is the 1st thread that broke the news of the _secret_ CPU throttling:
> o *Report says Apple 'Powerd' code secretly slows your iOS device down to trick you into buying a new device*
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/GdEtzzrc9F0/z57KTsmWAQAJ>
>
> *FACTS*
> o Every subsequent major release from Apple contains _more_ throttling!
>
> *ASSESSMENT*
> o $500M is cheap for Apple to now throttle any phone it ever wants to!
>
> Yippee! This is great for Apple!
> --
> What's not surprising is how brilliant Apple MARKETING is; what's
> surprising is how gullible the typical Apple consumer appears to be.

Arlen Holder

Nov 18, 2020, 9:05:07 PM11/18/20
The facts show you'd be hard pressed to find any mobile device more poorly
designed than the bulk of today's iPhones...

Simply because most iPhones _require_ throttling just to prevent them from
prematurely being unstable.

You get the unenviable choice:
a. *CHOOSE UNACCEPTABLE PERFORMANCE*, or,
b. *CHOOSE UNACCEPTABLE STABILITY*

You must choose one.

Verbatim, because apologists hate facts, so they deny any and all facts
they simply _hate_ about Apple products (which is a hell of a lot of facts)

"Apple 'fully understood' that by concealing the issues, it could spend a
year profiting off of people who thought they needed to buy a new iPhone,
when they only really needed to replace their phone's battery
to avoid [premature] throttling or unexpected [premature] shutdowns."

o Apple will pay $113 million for throttling iPhones
<https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/18/21573710/apple-battery-gate-throttle-iphones-settlement-amount>
--
It's hard to find a mobile device more poorly designed than the iPhone is.