Is the Internet needed for voice to text on Android?

Danny D.

Apr 13, 2013, 2:08:11 AM4/13/13
What is needed for voice-to-text texting on Android?

I've never had an Android phone, and, all I really
want is voice-to-text texting and perhaps also the
speaking back of the message, hands free.

I don't want a data plan - so that's why I'm going with
T-Mobile (I already have unlimited texting).

Is the Internet needed for voice to text on Android?

Mohammad

Apr 13, 2013, 10:47:34 AM4/13/13
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 06:08:11 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

> Is the Internet needed for voice to text on Android?

i'm on the iphone but i was told that only iphone can have that feature.
android can't.
Isn't that what the legal injunction is all about?

nob...@nada.com

Apr 13, 2013, 12:41:22 PM4/13/13

Paul Miner

Apr 13, 2013, 6:24:46 PM4/13/13
Not only that, but my Samsung Galaxy S3 and my wife's Note II came with the
native ability to use voice as an entry method for nearly everything,
including texts, Google searches, navigation queries, emails, etc. Anytime
the keyboard pops up to allow text entry, a microphone 'key' is also
included that lets us switch to voice input.

Regarding the OP's question, yes, an Internet connection is necessary to do
the voice to text conversion, at least on the two phones I mentioned above.
I haven't checked to see how the 3rd party apps do it.

--
Paul Miner

Miles

Apr 13, 2013, 9:44:04 PM4/13/13
* Danny D. wrote, On 13-Apr-13 13:08:
Why in the hell do many of you triple post? For instance this msg is
seen on alt.cellular.gsm, alt.cellular-t-mobile, & alt.cellular.tech.

Another msg, "Suggestion for a $200 Android T-Mobile phone with a
recent OS" had over 40 replies and was seen on these 3 newsgroups.

I happen to subscribe to all 3 and this necessitates marking all 3 as
read even though I am not about to read them. If this continues I'll
simply unsubscribe and you will remain out of my face.
Miles

John Henderson

Apr 14, 2013, 4:33:49 PM4/14/13
Miles wrote:

> Why in the hell do many of you triple post? For instance this msg is
> seen on alt.cellular.gsm, alt.cellular-t-mobile, & alt.cellular.tech.

To reach the target readership, obviously. I don't subscribe to
all three of those groups.

Decent newsreader software should mark all relevent posts as read
once one is.

John

bonny doon

Apr 14, 2013, 7:52:21 PM4/14/13
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:33:49 +0000, John Henderson wrote:
> To reach the target readership, obviously.

I'm pretty sure you do NOT need a data plan to have the voice to text feature work.
But you do need a cellular signal.

Followup-To set to alt.cellular.t-mobile which is the active group in the triad.

tlvp

Apr 14, 2013, 11:59:06 PM4/14/13
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 08:44:04 +0700, Miles wrote:

> Why in the hell do many of you triple post? For instance this msg is
> seen on alt.cellular.gsm, alt.cellular-t-mobile, & alt.cellular.tech.

Maybe it's bad manners to short-circuit the OP's distribution intentions.

arminius

Apr 15, 2013, 3:11:59 PM4/15/13
I don't have a data plan and my S3 translates voice to text without the Internet using the basic Google voice application.

clamidya

Apr 15, 2013, 11:30:28 PM4/15/13
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:11:59 +0000, arminius wrote:

> I don't have a data plan and my S3 translates voice to text without the Internet

I thought we needed a data plan for that to work?

Todd Allcock

Apr 17, 2013, 9:08:17 AM4/17/13
You (mostly) do. There are a small subset of device control commands that
are parsed by the device without needing an internet connection, like
"call John at work", but anything complex, like "what's six times seven"
or "navigate to the Marriott" requires decoding by Google's servers,
which will need a connection.

arminius

Apr 17, 2013, 9:28:13 AM4/17/13
Todd Allcock wrote on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:08:17 -0600:

> You (mostly) do. There are a small subset of device control commands that
> are parsed by the device without needing an internet connection, like
> "call John at work", but anything complex, like "what's six times seven"
> or "navigate to the Marriott" requires decoding by Google's servers,
> which will need a connection.

What about SMS messages.

Can you dictate & then send an SMS text without a data plan?

Paul Miner

Apr 17, 2013, 9:34:05 PM4/17/13
On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 13:28:13 +0000 (UTC), arminius <armi...@nospammers.com>
wrote:
I think you'll find that you need some kind of Internet connection, whether
it be mobile data (data plan through a carrier), WiFi, or whatever.

--
Paul Miner

Todd Allcock

Apr 18, 2013, 12:40:39 AM4/18/13
No. The speech in a text message is too random for the device to deduce.
Something like "Call (a particular contact) at (home/work/mobile)" or
"Play (artist/album/playlist) is basically selecting from a small finite
pallette of potential word choices already stored on the device. An SMS
could contain any word in the vernacular, which requires a better
computer than what fits in your pocket to parse with reasonable accuracy
in a reasonable time.

broken arrow

Apr 19, 2013, 11:58:02 AM4/19/13
On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 20:34:05 -0500, Paul Miner wrote:

> I think you'll find that you need some kind of Internet connection, whether
> it be mobile data (data plan through a carrier), WiFi, or whatever.

I don't think you need internet for sms text from voice.

Danny D.

Apr 21, 2013, 10:08:38 AM4/21/13
I'm confused.

For sms texting, you don't need a data plan, so why would you
need a data plan for voice-to-sms texting?

sms

Apr 21, 2013, 2:00:52 PM4/21/13
Because the voice to text conversion is done on a remote server, it's
not an app on the phone.

There may be local apps for voice to text. I tried one app for voice to
text and it insisted on having a data connection. I tried another where
it was supposed to work locally but it did not work at all.

Danny D.

Apr 22, 2013, 12:27:44 AM4/22/13
On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:00:52 -0700 sms wrote:

> Because the voice to text conversion is done on a remote server, it's
> not an app on the phone.

That makes sense.

BTW, I need you, SMS, on the alt.home.repair forum (look for the
HASA pool chemical thread with your name in the subject line).