VoLTE

1 view

cameo

Sep 3, 2017, 6:15:10 PM9/3/17
VoLTE requires carrier data connection to be on all the time that pretty
much negates the advantage of WiFi for free data outside of phone calls.
So I wonder what happens when both mobile data and WiFi are enabled
during such time? Will the phone use WiFi in such cases instead of LTE?

nospam

Sep 3, 2017, 6:37:29 PM9/3/17
In article <oohul5$k8p$1...@dont-email.me>, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

> VoLTE requires carrier data connection to be on all the time that pretty
> much negates the advantage of WiFi for free data outside of phone calls.

no it doesn't.

> So I wonder what happens when both mobile data and WiFi are enabled
> during such time? Will the phone use WiFi in such cases instead of LTE?

for data it will.

cameo

Sep 3, 2017, 7:50:29 PM9/3/17
Thanks. So if the carrier data is not enabled at the time a call comes
in or I want to make a call, it is automatically enabled and then
disabled after the call?

I tend to keep data connection off when not talking or texting to save
battery, though multimedia in text requires carrier data.

I am using an unlocked LG G6 with a cheap monthly prepaid plan right now
and I don't think VoLTE will be available for me any time soon, but I
was just wondering what would happen if I got VoLTE capability sooner.

nospam

Sep 3, 2017, 8:00:05 PM9/3/17
In article <ooi47r$2lr$1...@dont-email.me>, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

> >> VoLTE requires carrier data connection to be on all the time that pretty
> >> much negates the advantage of WiFi for free data outside of phone calls.
> >
> > no it doesn't.
> >
> >> So I wonder what happens when both mobile data and WiFi are enabled
> >> during such time? Will the phone use WiFi in such cases instead of LTE?
> >
> > for data it will.
> >
> Thanks. So if the carrier data is not enabled at the time a call comes
> in or I want to make a call, it is automatically enabled and then
> disabled after the call?

lte is *only* data.

voice calls are either volte or they fall back to the older cdma/hspa.

if you disable data, you only block apps from using the connection. lte
is still active.

> I tend to keep data connection off when not talking or texting to save
> battery, though multimedia in text requires carrier data.

that won't make any difference on battery consumption.

if you want to reduce battery consumption, use airplane mode to disable
all radios.

> I am using an unlocked LG G6 with a cheap monthly prepaid plan right now
> and I don't think VoLTE will be available for me any time soon, but I
> was just wondering what would happen if I got VoLTE capability sooner.

volte is probably available, but it may not be used since the entire
path must be volte. if you call a landline or non-volte phone, you
won't be using volte (at least not yet).