Is this a scam?

1 view

Cameo

Oct 26, 2019, 12:14:18 PM10/26/19
Though this relates to my recently canceled landline phone, I don't know
a better place to ask than this group I subscribe to. I just got this
email, but without addressing me by name or phone number. That usually
raises a red flag for me. Here it is:

"Dear Valued Customer,

Your business is important to us, and we take your information privacy
seriously. Recently, we became aware of an information security incident
involving a CenturyLink third-party vendor. As a result, information
about customers was inadvertently made publicly accessible online,
including name, address, phone number, email address and CenturyLink
account number. Our initial investigation has determined that no
financial, password or similar sensitive information was involved.

What steps has CenturyLink taken?
As soon as we became aware that one of our vendors had a security issue
potentially exposing your contact information, CenturyLink mobilized an
internal team led by our Chief Security Officer. We have worked with the
vendor to ensure that it implements additional security measures
designed to prevent similar incidents and have taken additional steps to
safeguard your information.

What should you do to protect yourself?
As noted above, this incident did not involve sensitive information, but
there are measures that you can take to improve protection of your data.
We’ve provided a list of suggestions for you on our website at
news.centurylink.com/customer-information, including tips regarding how
to identify fraudulent attempts to contact you via email or phone, good
password practices, and resetting devices routinely to make sure
software is updated.

This site also includes FAQs and ways to contact CenturyLink for
additional information. You can also call us at 888-923-6625.

We know these types of incidents can be concerning or even frustrating.
We appreciate the trust you put in us by sharing your information with
us, and we are committed to making our security measures as strong as
possible to safeguard that information. We sincerely apologize for any
inconvenience this issue may cause. Thank you for being a CenturyLink
customer.

Sincerely,

Maxine Moreau
CenturyLink
President, Consumer Markets

Anybody else got one of these?

Cameo

Oct 27, 2019, 2:41:57 PM10/27/19
On 10/26/2019 10:46 PM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 18:14:15 +0200, Cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Though this relates to my recently canceled landline phone, I don't know
>> a better place to ask than this group I subscribe to. I just got this
>> email, but without addressing me by name or phone number. That usually
>> raises a red flag for me. Here it is:
> [snip]
>
>> Anybody else got one of these?
>
> No scam. See: