Calls going directly to voice mail

cameo

May 28, 2018, 9:47:03 PM5/28/18
In the last few weeks several calls to me went straight to the voice
mail without ringing me first. After googling around I found several
similar complainst but no real fix for it. Because it does not happen
with all calls, I can't really go for help to T-Mobile with it. As a
matter of fact, one T-Mo rep I ran into in a bar dismissed the issue by
saying that this thing would not have happened if I bought the phone
from them. They feel not responsible for unlocked international phones.
I suspect some recent network change is causing this problem because the
phone used to always ring first before going to VM.

nospam

May 28, 2018, 10:11:20 PM5/28/18
In article <peibem$kqd$1...@dont-email.me>, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid>
wrote:
usually that's because the cell you're on is at capacity and can't
establish a voice channel to the phone, so it rolls to voicemail, which
is why it doesn't always happen.

cameo

May 28, 2018, 10:52:01 PM5/28/18
Thanks. I still find it interesting after all the network enhancments
lately. But your explanation makes sense.

Rick

May 29, 2018, 6:56:53 AM5/29/18
Another possibility is that you're not in range of a cell tower at the
time the call is made.

nospam

May 29, 2018, 8:14:04 AM5/29/18
In article <UlaPC.325581$PE5....@fx37.iad>, Rick <rick...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> usually that's because the cell you're on is at capacity and can't
> >> establish a voice channel to the phone, so it rolls to voicemail, which
> >> is why it doesn't always happen.
> >>
> > Thanks. I still find it interesting after all the network enhancments
> > lately. But your explanation makes sense.
>
> Another possibility is that you're not in range of a cell tower at the
> time the call is made.

except that if he wasn't in the range of a cell tower, he wouldn't get
the voicemail notifications.

danny burstein

May 29, 2018, 9:20:09 AM5/29/18
[snip]

> In the last few weeks several calls to me went straight to the voice

I've had this happen, too, and it's been for a year or more now.

It's led me to... routinely checking v-mail at least once/day
(more often when I'm expecting a call...)

I first discovered this when I heard my phone ring and
deliberately let the call switch over. Then, when I checked
the message, founc a bunch of older ones.

No obvious answer. But at least I can confirm to you
it ain't just you.

dan...@panix.com

(PeteCresswell)

May 29, 2018, 9:49:58 AM5/29/18
Per cameo:
>In the last few weeks several calls to me went straight to the voice
>mail without ringing me first. After googling around I found several
>similar complainst but no real fix for it. Because it does not happen
>with all calls, I can't really go for help to T-Mobile with it.

They were all legitimate calls, right?

If not, check out http://tinyurl.com/y7hf56ol
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringless_voicemail
--
Pete Cresswell

cameo

May 29, 2018, 2:13:08 PM5/29/18
Yes, legitimate. In fact the caller, with whom I just exchanged numbers,
was right next to me and I asked him to call me so his number gets in
my call log. Then I hear nothing for about a minute, and then I noticed
my Visual Voice Mail indicator showing up. Sure enough, it was his call
in there.