technical Q: soder antenna contact

minime

Mar 20, 2002, 9:54:39 PM3/20/02
I've taken the T28 faceplate apart and realize there's no contact between
the antenna and the circuit board on the phone (the previous owner broke the
damn thing and it fell out of the antenna hole).

How would I be able to connect them? I tried putting soder in without
heating them up and for 1 time it was able to caught a signal but the
reception is very poor. Is the conductive of the soder is very poor?

Flash

Mar 22, 2002, 6:48:16 PM3/22/02

"minime" <spa...@hotfries.com> wrote in message

> I've taken the T28 faceplate apart and realize there's no contact between
> the antenna and the circuit board on the phone (the previous owner broke
the
> damn thing and it fell out of the antenna hole).

If the thing has been broken off then there is nothing you can do about it
as the weakest part of the connection is the pad to PCB adhesion rather than
the actual solder itself.

> How would I be able to connect them? I tried putting soder in without
> heating them up and for 1 time it was able to caught a signal but the
> reception is very poor. Is the conductive of the soder is very poor?

Now I am totally confused as you cannot solder anything without heating it
up to melting point. The conductivity of solder is very good as it is a
highly conductive lead/tin compound hence the reason for it being used to
connect electronic components to the circuit board.

I have seen quite a few phones that have been scrapped because someone has
knocked the antenna connector off although I have repaired some of these
with adhesive, solder and knowledge of the PCB and schematics.

If the repair is not done properly the phone WILL be damaged beyond repair
as the RF Power Amplifier will blow due to high reflected radiation (VSWR)
during transmit mode.