Is it me or is texting not reliable?

Ant

May 10, 2015, 1:53:43 PM5/10/15
Hello.

Others' and my contacts' textings seem to get lost (deliver/receiv)ed,
etc. on various platforms (iPhones, Windows, Androids, etc.). I noticed
even phones' textings directly aren't always reliable. I can understand
if the connections suck, but they don't even seem to retry even if done
manually on good connections.

It is even worse through AIM and e-mails (e.g., 1xxxx...@tmomail.net)
from computers and Internet. Once in a while, the errors do come up but
they don't say much in details.

Do SMS providers have filters or something?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"... Let's go pour these (peas from a can) onto an anthill I've found."
--Strong Bad (Witness the Cheatar! episode)

tlvp

May 16, 2015, 3:47:33 AM5/16/15
On Sun, 10 May 2015 10:53:35 -0700, Ant wrote:

> Others' and my contacts' textings seem to get lost (deliver/receiv)ed,
> etc. on various platforms (iPhones, Windows, Androids, etc.). I noticed
> even phones' textings directly aren't always reliable.

Quite true: some SMS just never get through; others get through, but with
horrendous delay (I've known up to 6 hours, but also just 15 minutes); many
do get right through, though, within seconds of having hit Send.

Makes SMS a less-than-foolproof 2-Factor authentication method :-) .

But whatcha gonna do? Cheers, -- tlvp

Ant

May 17, 2015, 2:28:13 AM5/17/15
On 5/16/2015 12:47 AM, tlvp wrote:

>> Others' and my contacts' textings seem to get lost (deliver/receiv)ed,
>> etc. on various platforms (iPhones, Windows, Androids, etc.). I noticed
>> even phones' textings directly aren't always reliable.
>
> Quite true: some SMS just never get through; others get through, but with
> horrendous delay (I've known up to 6 hours, but also just 15 minutes); many
> do get right through, though, within seconds of having hit Send.
>
> Makes SMS a less-than-foolproof 2-Factor authentication method :-) .
>
> But whatcha gonna do? Cheers, -- tlvp

That sucks. And they never return if they never make it through. :(
--
"Many ants kill a camel." --Turkish