Iphone Users Smarter Than Android Owners?

George Kerby

Jan 28, 2015, 10:46:38 AM1/28/15

Jolly Roger

Jan 28, 2015, 10:52:05 AM1/28/15
Tired, old story. Slow news day? *yawn*

JR

Michelle Steiner

Jan 28, 2015, 11:00:50 AM1/28/15
In article <D0EE607B.B3E96%ghost_...@hotmail.com>, George Kerby
I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
author should not be publishing anything.

One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
is plural.

Major error in the paragraph: "their is data to back it up now"
"their"?? Really? Also, it should be "are data", not "is data".

Now that I've finished the article (after writing the above", he cites
someone who contradicts his thesis: "Andrew Waber is a market analyst
with Chitika and says it doesn't show iPhone users are smarter than say
Android users, just that college graduates seem to prefer the iPhone."

A better study would be of what phone Mensa members prefer. <snicker>

Recliner

Jan 28, 2015, 11:16:19 AM1/28/15
Speaking personally, Android (admittedly, I let my Mensa membership lapse
long before I got a smartphone).

D.F. Manno

Jan 28, 2015, 1:01:54 PM1/28/15
In article <280120150900481667%mich...@michelle.org>,
Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What say Ye?
> >
> > <http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
> > e-smarter-13194058/>
>
> I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
> author should not be publishing anything.
>
> One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
> is plural.

Don't blame the writer for the headline. Writers almost never get to
write the headlines for their own stories.

--
D.F. Manno | dfm...@mail.com
GOP delenda est!

nospam

Jan 28, 2015, 1:30:39 PM1/28/15
<mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> > What say Ye?
> >
> > <http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
> > e-smarter-13194058/>
>
> I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
> author should not be publishing anything.
>
> One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
> is plural.

either is acceptable.

<http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/07/05/is-data-is-or-is-data-aint-a-
plural/>
Most style guides and dictionaries have come to accept the use of the
noun data with either singular or plural verbs, and we hereby join
the majority.

<http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/data>
In Latin, data is the plural of datum and, historically and in
specialized scientific fields, it is also treated as a plural in
English, taking a plural verb, as in the data were collected and
classified. In modern non-scientific use, however, it is generally
not treated as a plural. Instead, it is treated as a mass noun,
similar to a word like information, which takes a singular verb.
Sentences such as data was collected over a number of years are now
widely accepted in standard English

> Major error in the paragraph: "their is data to back it up now"
> "their"?? Really? Also, it should be "are data", not "is data".

that's an error.

> Now that I've finished the article (after writing the above", he cites
> someone who contradicts his thesis: "Andrew Waber is a market analyst
> with Chitika and says it doesn't show iPhone users are smarter than say
> Android users, just that college graduates seem to prefer the iPhone."

it's a puff piece. slow news day.

Michelle Steiner

Jan 28, 2015, 3:46:59 PM1/28/15
In article <dfmanno-5E8194...@news.albasani.net>, D.F.
Manno <dfm...@mail.com> wrote:

> > One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
> > is plural.
>
> Don't blame the writer for the headline. Writers almost never get to
> write the headlines for their own stories.

But he perpetuated that error in the article itself.

Michelle Steiner

Jan 28, 2015, 3:48:07 PM1/28/15
In article <280120151330384289%nos...@nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
> > is plural.
>
> either is acceptable.
>
> <http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/07/05/is-data-is-or-is-data-aint-a-
> plural/>
> Most style guides and dictionaries have come to accept the use of the
> noun data with either singular or plural verbs, and we hereby join
> the majority.

WSJ: Rupert Murdoch. Need I say more?

George Kerby

Jan 28, 2015, 4:23:54 PM1/28/15

On 1/28/15 10:00 AM, in article 280120150900481667%mich...@michelle.org,
So, there ya go: Your scrutiny and excellent observation CLEARLY illustrate
that iPhone users are far superior in intellectual prowess when compared to
the knuckle-dragger Android crowd. ;-))))

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Your Name

Jan 28, 2015, 8:17:25 PM1/28/15
In article <D0EEAF87.B3EA1%ghost_...@hotmail.com>, George Kerby
<ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/28/15 10:00 AM, in article 280120150900481667%mich...@michelle.org,
> "Michelle Steiner" <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:
> > In article <D0EE607B.B3E96%ghost_...@hotmail.com>, George Kerby
> > <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What say Ye?
> >>
> >> <http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-a
> >> re-smarter-13194058/>
> >
> > I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
> > author should not be publishing anything.
> >
> > One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
> > is plural.
> >
> > Major error in the paragraph: "their is data to back it up now"
> > "their"?? Really? Also, it should be "are data", not "is data".
> >
> > Now that I've finished the article (after writing the above", he cites
> > someone who contradicts his thesis: "Andrew Waber is a market analyst
> > with Chitika and says it doesn't show iPhone users are smarter than say
> > Android users, just that college graduates seem to prefer the iPhone."
> >
> > A better study would be of what phone Mensa members prefer. <snicker>
>
> So, there ya go: Your scrutiny and excellent observation CLEARLY illustrate
> that iPhone users are far superior in intellectual prowess when compared to
> the knuckle-dragger Android crowd. ;-))))

There are many, many, many surveys that "prove" Apple users are
smarter, sexier, better looking, have better jobs, etc. than Android /
Windoze / etc. users. Most of them are complete crap based solely on
the fact that Apple devices / computers "cost more" than the other
makers, therefore buyers are paying more, therefore they have better
jobs, therefore they are more intelligent, etc., etc. Anyone with more
than one braincell knows these things are not necessarily connected.
You can, for example, be a complete ugly dumbass who buys an Apple
device / computer on hire-purchase / rent-to-own terms paying it off
over 10 years.

Michelle Steiner

Jan 28, 2015, 10:53:12 PM1/28/15
In article <290120151417503490%Your...@YourISP.com>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> You can, for example, be a complete ugly dumbass who buys an Apple
> device / computer

True. As an example, I submit Rush Limbaugh.

George Kerby

Jan 29, 2015, 10:39:45 AM1/29/15

On 1/28/15 9:53 PM, in article 280120152053116310%mich...@michelle.org,
Yep. A guy who has a few billion bucks in the bank who started out as a
color man for the St Louis Cards from backwoods Ozarks is truly a "dumbass".

You betcha - Yeppers!

Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
Blackberry in a couple of years...

Jolly Roger

Jan 29, 2015, 10:43:38 AM1/29/15
On 2015-01-29, George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/28/15 9:53 PM, in article 280120152053116310%mich...@michelle.org,
> "Michelle Steiner" <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:
>
>> In article <290120151417503490%Your...@YourISP.com>, Your Name
>> <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You can, for example, be a complete ugly dumbass who buys an Apple
>>> device / computer
>>
>> True. As an example, I submit Rush Limbaugh.
>
> Yep. A guy who has a few billion bucks in the bank who started out as a
> color man for the St Louis Cards from backwoods Ozarks is truly a "dumbass".

Yes, he is. Rush Limbaugh is living proof that money ain't everything.

> You betcha - Yeppers!
>
> Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
> Blackberry in a couple of years...

Everything is political with you; you're a political sucker.

George Kerby

Jan 29, 2015, 11:29:45 AM1/29/15

On 1/29/15 9:43 AM, in article civ2p8...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2015-01-29, George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/28/15 9:53 PM, in article 280120152053116310%mich...@michelle.org,
>> "Michelle Steiner" <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

>>> True. As an example, I submit Rush Limbaugh.
>>
>> Yep. A guy who has a few billion bucks in the bank who started out as a
>> color man for the St Louis Cards from backwoods Ozarks is truly a "dumbass".
>
> Yes, he is. Rush Limbaugh is living proof that money ain't everything.
>
>> You betcha - Yeppers!
>>
>> Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
>> Blackberry in a couple of years...
>
> Everything is political with you; you're a political sucker.

And Limbaugh isn't "political"?!? RIGHT!!!!

Jolly Roger

Jan 29, 2015, 11:43:41 AM1/29/15
The comment about him (that he is a complete ugly dumbass) had nothing
to do with politics. You brought politics into the picture, because you
view everything through your politics lens, like a sucker.

George Kerby

Jan 30, 2015, 10:03:41 AM1/30/15

On 1/29/15 10:43 AM, in article civ69q...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2015-01-29, George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 1/29/15 9:43 AM, in article civ2p8...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
>> Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, he is. Rush Limbaugh is living proof that money ain't everything.

>>> Everything is political with you; you're a political sucker.
>>
>> And Limbaugh isn't "political"?!? RIGHT!!!!
>
> The comment about him (that he is a complete ugly dumbass) had nothing
> to do with politics. You brought politics into the picture, because you
> view everything through your politics lens, like a sucker.

"Yadda, yadda!" RIGHT!

Rush is not 'political' - in what world are you living....?

Jolly Roger

Jan 30, 2015, 10:43:26 AM1/30/15
I'm sure everything and person in existence is "political" to those who
only see the world through political lenses. Suckers, all of them - you
included.

George Kerby

Jan 30, 2015, 8:24:01 PM1/30/15

On 1/30/15 9:43 AM, in article cj1n4s...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Go the fuck AWAY! Goodbye - you have shown yourself to be a narrow-minded
asshole with NO sense of humor. Adios, Mo-Fo..

Jolly Roger

Jan 30, 2015, 8:35:37 PM1/30/15
On 2015-01-31, George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Go the fuck AWAY! Goodbye - you have shown yourself to be a narrow-minded
> asshole with NO sense of humor. Adios, Mo-Fo..

Nah, I just don't classify every single thing I see and hear in asinine
political boxes like you. People who view the world through political
lenses are pathetic suckers who only perpetuate and support the theft of
rights from the people. And I'm not going anywhere. Feel free to kill my
posts.

tlvp

Feb 9, 2015, 10:32:31 PM2/9/15
I say if KTRH can't even get "their is data" spelled right, there, they're
not to be believed on much of anything else, either :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

tlvp

Feb 9, 2015, 10:34:59 PM2/9/15
On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:30:38 -0500, nospam wrote:

> ... have come ...

grudgingly

> ... to accept the use ...

tlvp

Feb 9, 2015, 10:38:51 PM2/9/15
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:17:50 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> Anyone with more
> than one braincell knows these things are not necessarily connected.

As does anyone with more than one brain :-) . cheers, -- tlvp