Apple's iPhone X will be killed off this year, analyst says

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Nomen Nescio

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 1:17:42 AM4/21/18
to
Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if
earnings from one of the company's top suppliers is anything to
go by, according to an analyst.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing, or TSMC, the world's largest
semiconductor foundry company, revised its full-year revenue
target to the low end of its forecast. Shares in the company
closed 6.3 percent lower on Friday.

One of the biggest concerns for Neil Campling, the co-head of
the global thematic group focusing on technology at Mirabaud
Securities, is the oversupply of chips. This "has never been
higher," according to Campling's note to clients Thursday. His
firm has tracked inventory data at TSMC for over a decade.

The chipmaker's current situation could give investors concerns
over AMS, Apple's key supplier of 3-D sensing technology in the
iPhone X. The 3-D sensors are key for the Face ID feature that
lets you unlock the device by looking at it.

TSMC's record inventory levels are due to Apple not buying
components for any future iPhone X models, suggesting the device
will be killed off this year, Campling said.

"With the declines in iPhone X orders and the inventory issue at
TSMC at record highs, which basically reflect a need to burn off
inventory. Why? Because the iPhone X is dead," Campling wrote in
his note.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/20/apple-iphone-x-discontinued-this-
year-analyst-says.html

nospam

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 1:25:32 AM4/21/18
to
In article <5505c4b7e1ebd8c0...@dizum.com>, Nomen Nescio
<nob...@dizum.com> wrote:

> Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if
> earnings from one of the company's top suppliers is anything to
> go by, according to an analyst.

supplier earnings means very little and even if the *existing* model is
discontinued, there will be *other* x models (plural) that will replace
it.

tl;dr ignore analysts.

Your Name

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 2:17:33 AM4/21/18
to
On 2018-04-21 05:14:34 +0000, Nomen Nescio said:
>
> Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if
> earnings from one of the company's top suppliers is anything to
> go by, according to an analyst.
<snip>

Oh, lookee ... another braindead "analyst" spouting nonsense to prove
that they have absolutely zero understanding of how Apple works ... as
if anyone gives a crap about what they say. :-\

Jolly Roger

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 1:04:38 PM4/21/18
to
On 2018-04-21, Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:
>
> Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if

That the dipshit troll couldn't even figure out to post this bit of
bullshit hyperbole to the iPhone newsgroup tells us all we need to know
about him... These morons have been claiming Apple's latest product is
"DOOOOOOOMED, I TELL YOU" for literal decades. Meanwhile, Apple
continues to inexplicably do just fine, and the trollish petty jealousy
persists. It'd be funny if it wasn't so damned pathetic.

"Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
stock every time

iPhone build orders inevitably slow after holidays, but Apple stock has
generally held up well in previous years after short-term drops

Apple shares declined Monday after a report that iPhone production had
slowed, and they fell again Tuesday on a few more reports.

If that sounds familiar, congratulations for paying attention. The big
difference this time is that the production-decline rumors are coming a
month later than normal for the iPhone X, which should be expected
because that new model began selling later than other iPhones.

Apple investors should be familiar with this show. iPhone shipments
traditionally peak during the holiday quarter, right after a new model
is announced. Then they taper off in the new year as shoppers opt for a
greater mix of older models—or figure they can wait around until the
next latest and greatest version comes out in the fall."

<https://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-iphone-production-slowdown-this-happens-every-year-and-hits-stock-every-time-2018-01-29>

--
E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

JR

nospam

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 1:37:01 PM4/21/18
to
In article <fk1995...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if
>


>
> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
> stock every time

intentionally. follow the money.

'market analysts' release these 'reports' to manipulate the stock price
down ahead of quarterly earnings reports (and not just apple either)
for their own personal gain and their clients.

even a small change can be *very* profitable.

they should be thrown in jail.

Jolly Roger

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 2:00:23 PM4/21/18
to
Yup. And US politicians are complicit because some of that money ends up
in their bank accounts.

JF Mezei

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 3:28:47 PM4/21/18
to
On 2018-04-21 01:25, nospam wrote:

> supplier earnings means very little and even if the *existing* model is
> discontinued, there will be *other* x models (plural) that will replace
> it.

Even within a year, Apple could shift purchase volumes from one
manufacturer to another when it has multiple sources for same component.


Apple made it pretty clear that the "X" line of product will live on.
(even if as low volume luxury product). What is not clear is how Apple
will evolve the affordable/high volume units like the 8, 7 6s.



JF Mezei

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 3:35:15 PM4/21/18
to
On 2018-04-21 13:04, Jolly Roger wrote:

> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
> stock every time


But by now, wouldn't Apple be placing component orders for the 2018 models?

So suppliers to Apple would know by now if they will be involved in next
year's pproducts. Right?

(if "not involved", then it could either mean Apple has found another
supplier or they are not continuing with a tech, and nobody but Apple
knows).

nospam

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 4:28:07 PM4/21/18
to
In article <OhMCC.39240$PE5....@fx37.iad>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

>
> > supplier earnings means very little and even if the *existing* model is
> > discontinued, there will be *other* x models (plural) that will replace
> > it.
>
> Even within a year, Apple could shift purchase volumes from one
> manufacturer to another when it has multiple sources for same component.

that, and they're also planning a year or more in the future because of
the number of units they need to manufacture.

> Apple made it pretty clear that the "X" line of product will live on.

they don't need to, since it's very obvious it will live on.

> (even if as low volume luxury product). What is not clear is how Apple
> will evolve the affordable/high volume units like the 8, 7 6s.

the specifics might not be, but obviously, they'll evolve.

nospam

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 4:28:08 PM4/21/18
to
In article <SnMCC.5263$bS4....@fx01.iad>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

>
> But by now, wouldn't Apple be placing component orders for the 2018 models?

no. they're placing orders for 2019 models, planning for 2020 models
and starting to design 2021 models.

Wolf K

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 7:47:03 PM4/21/18
to
Why. For fooling other gamblers? The very essence of gambling is to be
fooled.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"The next conference for the time travel design team will be held two
weeks ago."

nospam

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 7:59:13 PM4/21/18
to
In article <W3QCC.6801$nT1...@fx20.iad>, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> >>
> >> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
> >> stock every time
> >
> > intentionally. follow the money.
> >
> > 'market analysts' release these 'reports' to manipulate the stock price
> > down ahead of quarterly earnings reports (and not just apple either)
> > for their own personal gain and their clients.
> >
> > even a small change can be *very* profitable.
> >
> > they should be thrown in jail.
>
> Why.

because stock market manipulation is illegal.

<https://www.sec.gov/fast-answers/answerstmanipulhtm.html>
Manipulation is intentional conduct designed to deceive investors
by controlling or artificially affecting the market for a security.
Manipulation can involve a number of techniques to affect the
supply of, or demand for, a stock. They include: spreading false or
misleading information about a company; improperly limiting the
number of publicly-available shares; or rigging quotes, prices or
trades to create a false or deceptive picture of the demand for a
security. Those who engage in manipulation are subject to various
civil and criminal sanctions.

> For fooling other gamblers? The very essence of gambling is to be
> fooled.

they're not fooling gamblers and the stock market is not gambling.

they're intentionally making false and misleading claims for their own
personal gain and that of their clients.

Wolf K

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 8:18:22 PM4/21/18
to
On 2018-04-21 19:59, nospam wrote:
> In article<W3QCC.6801$nT1...@fx20.iad>, Wolf K<wol...@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>>> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
>>>> stock every time
>>> intentionally. follow the money.
>>>
>>> 'market analysts' release these 'reports' to manipulate the stock price
>>> down ahead of quarterly earnings reports (and not just apple either)
>>> for their own personal gain and their clients.
>>>
>>> even a small change can be*very* profitable.
>>>
>>> they should be thrown in jail.
>> Why.
> because stock market manipulation is illegal.

True, but how would you prove that an earnings forecast is market
manipulation?

[snip]

nospam

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 8:37:34 PM4/21/18
to
In article <ixQCC.27283$go7....@fx08.iad>, Wolf K
<wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> >>>> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
> >>>> stock every time
> >>> intentionally. follow the money.
> >>>
> >>> 'market analysts' release these 'reports' to manipulate the stock price
> >>> down ahead of quarterly earnings reports (and not just apple either)
> >>> for their own personal gain and their clients.
> >>>
> >>> even a small change can be*very* profitable.
> >>>
> >>> they should be thrown in jail.
> >> Why.
> > because stock market manipulation is illegal.
>
> True, but how would you prove that an earnings forecast is market
> manipulation?

because it's a pattern that repeats itself every year, or even every
quarter.

either they're incredibly shitty analysts, or they're gaming the system.

even a few percent swing can result in many millions of dollars in
profits, so you can be sure it's the latter.

Big Al

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 8:50:07 PM4/21/18
to
If I read between your arguments right and the original article, they
are not doing anything illegal. It's not insider trading, it's twisting
the facts to make an opinionated observation. Same thing TV and
Newspapers do. Does your local news show you anything about the arts
and entertainments in your city, or how many people are shot (favorite
item in the US lately)?

These analysts should be shot just like a lot of other reporters, but we
the public should be wiser than that. And I would suppose that stock
traders are a bit smarter than you think, I worked in the stock market
for 20 years.

Anonymous

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 9:24:53 PM4/21/18
to
In article <210420181959120504%nos...@nospam.invalid>

Anonymous Remailer (austria)

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 10:04:20 PM4/21/18
to

In article <ixQCC.27283$go7....@fx08.iad>

Anonymous Remailer (austria)

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 10:04:20 PM4/21/18
to

In article <pbgm7u$ge9$1...@dont-email.me>

Jolly Roger

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 10:40:43 PM4/21/18
to
On 2018-04-21, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2018-04-21 13:37, nospam wrote:
>> In article <fk1995...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
>> <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>>> Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if
>>>
>>> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
>>> stock every time
>>
>> intentionally. follow the money.
>>
>> 'market analysts' release these 'reports' to manipulate the stock price
>> down ahead of quarterly earnings reports (and not just apple either)
>> for their own personal gain and their clients.
>>
>> even a small change can be *very* profitable.
>>
>> they should be thrown in jail.
>
> Why. For fooling other gamblers? The very essence of gambling is to be
> fooled.

If the stock market was gambling it would be illegal in many places in
the USA where gambling is prohibited. Manipulating the market for your
is something people are often locked up for, but more often than that
corporations and the people who run them get away with it due to
corruption of government by special interests. Your 401K and many
things you depend on in turn depend on the stock market not being
illegally manipulated.

Jolly Roger

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 10:50:37 PM4/21/18
to
On 2018-04-22, Big Al <Big...@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 04/21/2018 08:37 PM, nospam wrote:
>> In article <ixQCC.27283$go7....@fx08.iad>, Wolf K
>> <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>>>>> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and
>>>>>>> hits stock every time intentionally. follow the money.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 'market analysts' release these 'reports' to manipulate the stock
>>>>>> price down ahead of quarterly earnings reports (and not just
>>>>>> apple either) for their own personal gain and their clients.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> even a small change can be*very* profitable.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> they should be thrown in jail.
>>>>>
>>>>> Why.
>>>>
>>>> because stock market manipulation is illegal.
>>>
>>> True, but how would you prove that an earnings forecast is market
>>> manipulation?
>>
>> because it's a pattern that repeats itself every year, or even every
>> quarter.
>>
>> either they're incredibly shitty analysts, or they're gaming the
>> system.
>>
>> even a few percent swing can result in many millions of dollars in
>> profits, so you can be sure it's the latter.
>>
> If I read between your arguments right and the original article, they
> are not doing anything illegal.

Then you either read wrong or you are just very ignorant of the laws and
why we have them. Gaming the system at the disadvantage of the system
itself isn't legal, nor is it morally right because it fucks over
everyone invested in the market. That includes our fucking retirement,
which most reasonable adults tend to care about rather than gleefully
flitter away in the breeze. RTFM:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_manipulation>

> It's not insider trading, it's twisting the facts to make an
> opinionated observation.

And lying to manipulate people is exactly what is illegal when it
manipulates the market everyone depends on. I understand in the Trump
era that's not seen a morally corrupt, but such idiocy isn't deserving
of laws to protect it when the reality is fraudulent stock market
manipulation hurts everyone.

[remainder of inanity rightfully ignored]

Anonymous

unread,
Apr 21, 2018, 11:35:30 PM4/21/18
to

Anonymous

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 12:08:27 AM4/22/18
to

Smith

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 7:21:54 AM4/22/18
to

Alan Baker

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 12:54:12 PM4/22/18
to
On 2018-04-21 7:40 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2018-04-21, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On 2018-04-21 13:37, nospam wrote:
>>> In article <fk1995...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
>>> <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if
>>>>
>>>> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
>>>> stock every time
>>>
>>> intentionally. follow the money.
>>>
>>> 'market analysts' release these 'reports' to manipulate the stock price
>>> down ahead of quarterly earnings reports (and not just apple either)
>>> for their own personal gain and their clients.
>>>
>>> even a small change can be *very* profitable.
>>>
>>> they should be thrown in jail.
>>
>> Why. For fooling other gamblers? The very essence of gambling is to be
>> fooled.
>
> If the stock market was gambling it would be illegal in many places in
> the USA where gambling is prohibited. Manipulating the market for your
> is something people are often locked up for, but more often than that
> corporations and the people who run them get away with it due to
> corruption of government by special interests. Your 401K and many
> things you depend on in turn depend on the stock market not being
> illegally manipulated.
>

What are these places in the USA where ALL gambling is illegal, if you
don't mind saying?

Wolf K

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 2:23:31 PM4/22/18
to
Granted. Now find a legal argument that the pattern of these behaviours
is deliberate and manipulative. It may just be repetitive stupidity.

Keep in mind that making earnings estimates is like reading the entrails
of a recently deceased chicken.

Wolf K

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 2:32:30 PM4/22/18
to
On 2018-04-21 22:40, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2018-04-21, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On 2018-04-21 13:37, nospam wrote:
>>> In article <fk1995...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
>>> <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if
>>>>
>>>> "Apple iPhone production slowdown: This happens every year and hits
>>>> stock every time
>>>
>>> intentionally. follow the money.
>>>
>>> 'market analysts' release these 'reports' to manipulate the stock price
>>> down ahead of quarterly earnings reports (and not just apple either)
>>> for their own personal gain and their clients.
>>>
>>> even a small change can be *very* profitable.
>>>
>>> they should be thrown in jail.
>>
>> Why. For fooling other gamblers? The very essence of gambling is to be
>> fooled.
>
> If the stock market was gambling it would be illegal in many places in
> the USA where gambling is prohibited. Manipulating the market for your
> is something people are often locked up for, but more often than that
> corporations and the people who run them get away with it due to
> corruption of government by special interests. Your 401K and many
> things you depend on in turn depend on the stock market not being
> illegally manipulated.

Valid but unsound argument, since the stock market _is_ gambling. Just
like betting on the horsies. You study the form, then you place your
bets. I've done it. The only time I lost money was when I bet on a
company whose product and market I didn't understand. I took a friend's
advice, always a bad idea. I never bet more than I could afford to lose,
just like at the track. But I gave it up after a while, took my
winnings, and bought a car for cash. Never had to finance a car again,
so I came out ahead in more ways than one.

BTW, my pension plan is invested in dividend paying companies, real
estate, bonds, and stuff like that. Being in Canada, it's not allowed to
bet on the stock market. I do have a mutual fund that bets on the
market, they dropped a few percent in the last quarter: the Trump
effect, apparently.

Have a good day.

Wolf K

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 2:35:12 PM4/22/18
to
On 2018-04-21 22:50, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2018-04-22, Big Al <Big...@invalid.com> wrote:

[...]
>> It's not insider trading, it's twisting the facts to make an
>> opinionated observation.
>
> And lying to manipulate people is exactly what is illegal when it
> manipulates the market everyone depends on. I understand in the Trump
> era that's not seen a morally corrupt, but such idiocy isn't deserving
> of laws to protect it when the reality is fraudulent stock market
> manipulation hurts everyone.
>
> [remainder of inanity rightfully ignored]
>

I agree with your argument as a moral assessment of the practice, but
the law requires proof. That's damned hard to get when the evidence
adduced is itself merely a matter of opinion.

Best,

nospam

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 3:05:44 PM4/22/18
to
In article <2z4DC.6920$bS4....@fx01.iad>, Wolf K
<wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:


> >>> they should be thrown in jail.
> >>
> >> Why. For fooling other gamblers? The very essence of gambling is to be
> >> fooled.
> >
> > If the stock market was gambling it would be illegal in many places in
> > the USA where gambling is prohibited. Manipulating the market for your
> > is something people are often locked up for, but more often than that
> > corporations and the people who run them get away with it due to
> > corruption of government by special interests. Your 401K and many
> > things you depend on in turn depend on the stock market not being
> > illegally manipulated.
>
> Valid but unsound argument, since the stock market _is_ gambling. Just
> like betting on the horsies.

it's nothing at all like betting on 'horsies'.

> You study the form, then you place your
> bets. I've done it. The only time I lost money was when I bet on a
> company whose product and market I didn't understand. I took a friend's
> advice, always a bad idea. I never bet more than I could afford to lose,
> just like at the track. But I gave it up after a while, took my
> winnings, and bought a car for cash. Never had to finance a car again,
> so I came out ahead in more ways than one.

then you don't understand the stock market.

> BTW, my pension plan is invested in dividend paying companies, real
> estate, bonds, and stuff like that. Being in Canada, it's not allowed to
> bet on the stock market. I do have a mutual fund that bets on the
> market, they dropped a few percent in the last quarter: the Trump
> effect, apparently.

the recent drop is a buy opportunity.

Jolly Roger

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 3:49:15 PM4/22/18
to
I don't recall or really care enough to look it up, but I'm sure you can
do so easily if you want to. My objection is to the implication that
fraudulent stock market manipulation is somehow not immoral or unjust.

Anonymous

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 5:30:00 PM4/22/18
to
In article <220420181505445809%nos...@nospam.invalid>

Nomen Nescio

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 6:09:37 PM4/22/18
to
In article <zB4DC.6921$bS4....@fx01.iad>

Anonymous

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 6:23:42 PM4/22/18
to
In article <Cq4DC.2936$RI2....@fx26.iad>

Anonymous

unread,
Apr 22, 2018, 6:30:05 PM4/22/18
to
In article <2z4DC.6920$bS4....@fx01.iad>

chrisv

unread,
Apr 24, 2018, 8:27:39 AM4/24/18
to
Jolly Roger wrote:

>And lying to manipulate people is exactly what is illegal when it
>manipulates the market everyone depends on. I understand in the Trump
>era that's not seen a morally corrupt, but such idiocy isn't deserving
>of laws to protect it when the reality is fraudulent stock market
>manipulation hurts everyone.

There nothing new about this kind of stuff. The evil businessman has
been around for millennia. They'll lie, cheat, steal, and worse, if
they can make a buck.

--
"And 'free' Linux programs aren't free either, because not only do you
still have to buy a computer to run it, that computer hardware then
also needs electricity to run, which also isn't free." - lying
asshole "-hh"

Mr. Man-wai Chang

unread,
Apr 24, 2018, 9:39:41 AM4/24/18
to
On 21/4/2018 1:14 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Apple's iPhone X is likely to be discontinued this year if
> earnings from one of the company's top suppliers is anything to
> go by, according to an analyst.
> ....

Why bother about this kind of news? The world can go on without
*CIVILIANS* carrying mobile phones! :)

--
@~@ Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
/( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa

MeiFen

unread,
Apr 24, 2018, 11:44:41 AM4/24/18
to
In article <pbnc2s$qt6$1...@toylet.eternal-september.org>

MeiFen

unread,
Apr 24, 2018, 12:17:31 PM4/24/18
to
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages