High school student hacked into 'unhackable' Apple servers and downloaded 90GB of 'secure files'

Dick

Aug 17, 2018, 12:17:24 AM8/17/18
An Australian high school student repeatedly hacked into Apple
servers, succeeding in downloading 90GB of what were described
as ‘secure files.’ The teenage boy also reportedly accessed
customer accounts …

The Age reports that the hacks began when the boy – who cannot
be named for legal reasons – was 16 years old and continued for
some time. His access is said to include ‘authorised keys
[which] grant log-in access to users.’

Apple finally detected the unauthorized access and reported it
to the FBI, which launched an investigation. When the source of
the intrusions was traced to Australia, the Australian Federal
Police (AFP) joined what became an international investigation.

The teen – who is said to be well-known in the hacking community
– used VPNs and other tools to try to avoid being traced, but
Apple’s systems logged the serial numbers of the MacBooks used
to carry out the attacks.

Two Apple laptops were seized and the serial numbers matched the
serial numbers of the devices which accessed the internal
systems.

A mobile phone and hard drive were also seized and the IP
address … matched the intrusions into the organisation.

Amusingly, the downloaded material was saved in a folder titled
‘hacky hack hack.’

The teen has pleaded guilty, and will be sentenced next month.
The student’s lawyer said that the boy carried out the attacks
‘because he was such a fan of the company’ and hoped to work
there – a prospect that now seems rather unlikely.

Via MacRumors. Photo: WSJ.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/16/melbourne-apple-hack/

Lesson #1, don't use Apple products if you're going to be
hacking.
Lesson #2, don't use Apple products.

Nomen Nescio

Aug 17, 2018, 3:57:52 AM8/17/18
In article <a1591f75191c935c...@dizum.com>
Dick <ric...@apple.com> wrote:

> An Australian high school student repeatedly hacked into Apple
> servers, succeeding in downloading 90GB of what were described
> as ‘secure files.’ The teenage boy also reportedly accessed
> customer accounts …

Niiice.

> Two Apple laptops were seized and the serial numbers matched the
> serial numbers of the devices which accessed the internal
> systems.

Niiice. Apple rats on users.

> A mobile phone and hard drive were also seized and the IP
> address … matched the intrusions into the organisation.
>
> Amusingly, the downloaded material was saved in a folder titled
> ‘hacky hack hack.’
>
> The teen has pleaded guilty, and will be sentenced next month.
> The student’s lawyer said that the boy carried out the attacks
> ‘because he was such a fan of the company’ and hoped to work
> there – a prospect that now seems rather unlikely.

Kevin Mitnick pulled it off, although his most famous hack job
was mainly because some dumb-assed VMS system manager left
default passwords on two privileged accounts and exposed the
server to the Internet. Not much of a hack if you ask me.

> Via MacRumors. Photo: WSJ.
>
> https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/16/melbourne-apple-hack/
>
> Lesson #1, don't use Apple products if you're going to be
> hacking.
> Lesson #2, don't use Apple products.

1st trillion $ company, hacked by a kid. SMH.

Nobody

Aug 17, 2018, 8:25:12 AM8/17/18

> 1st trillion $ company, hacked by a kid. SMH.

What a put down!

Alan Browne

Aug 17, 2018, 4:19:39 PM8/17/18
On 2018-08-17 03:45, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> 1st trillion $ company, hacked by a kid. SMH.

Saudi Aramco is worth much, much more than $1T and has been hacked
numerous times. Not sure if it was "kids" though.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."

nospam

Aug 17, 2018, 5:31:43 PM8/17/18
In article <dJednXoaLJ5LsOrG...@giganews.com>, Alan Browne
<bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

> > 1st trillion $ company, hacked by a kid. SMH.
>
> Saudi Aramco is worth much, much more than $1T and has been hacked
> numerous times. Not sure if it was "kids" though.

<https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2017/06/21/how-much-is-saudi-aram
co-worth-it-depends-on-the-countrys-institutions/#63727dce7b83>
The eventual valuation of Aramco is hotly disputed. The Saudis have
thrown out a figure of $2 trillion. Analysts doubt this figure. Some
put the valuation as low as $500 billion, which would mean a lean
diversification fund of $25 billion.

Wolf K

Aug 18, 2018, 9:08:04 AM8/18/18
"Worth of a company" is a highly context-dependent term. In the USA, it
most often means "capitalization value" (cap value), ie, the value of
the outstanding shares. Elatedly, a lot of companies have used the
Trump tax-break to buy back their shares, which paradoxically can reduce
the company's cap value. Cap value is not the same as market value,
which you really can't know until the company is acquired or merged with
another company. Share value is a bet on the future earnings, so cap
value is somewhat of an illusion. Delusion, in some cases. Market value
is also a bet on the future, so it too is somewhat of an illusion or
delusion (the latter is often the case, as a "write-down of
acquisitions" a year or three later demonstrates). Then there's social
worth, a concept that some economists are beginning to explore.
Accountants use still other measures of worth when they prepare the
annual balance sheet. Etc.

So of course the valuation of Aramco is "hotly disputed."

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

nospam

Aug 18, 2018, 10:28:30 AM8/18/18
In article <TSUdD.172687$UX7....@fx43.iad>, Wolf K
<wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> >> Saudi Aramco is worth much, much more than $1T and has been hacked
> >> numerous times. Not sure if it was "kids" though.
> >
> > <https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2017/06/21/how-much-is-saudi-aram
> > co-worth-it-depends-on-the-countrys-institutions/#63727dce7b83>
> > The eventual valuation of Aramco is hotly disputed. The Saudis have
> > thrown out a figure of $2 trillion. Analysts doubt this figure. Some
> > put the valuation as low as $500 billion, which would mean a lean
> > diversification fund of $25 billion.
>
> "Worth of a company" is a highly context-dependent term. In the USA, it
> most often means "capitalization value" (cap value), ie, the value of
> the outstanding shares. Elatedly, a lot of companies have used the
> Trump tax-break to buy back their shares, which paradoxically can reduce
> the company's cap value. Cap value is not the same as market value,
> which you really can't know until the company is acquired or merged with
> another company. Share value is a bet on the future earnings, so cap
> value is somewhat of an illusion. Delusion, in some cases. Market value
> is also a bet on the future, so it too is somewhat of an illusion or
> delusion (the latter is often the case, as a "write-down of
> acquisitions" a year or three later demonstrates). Then there's social
> worth, a concept that some economists are beginning to explore.
> Accountants use still other measures of worth when they prepare the
> annual balance sheet. Etc.

market cap is not an illusion nor a bet.

it's basic math: number of shares * share price. very simple.

> So of course the valuation of Aramco is "hotly disputed."

it's hotly disputed because their shares are not publicly traded at
this time.

<https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/saudi-aramco-is-expected-to-list-only-o
n-saudi-stock-exchange-next-year-dow-jones-citing-sources.html>
Saudi Arabia's state-owned oil giant Aramco, the world's largest oil
company, is walking back plans for a massive public share offering on
an international exchange.

Wolf K

Aug 18, 2018, 10:48:50 AM8/18/18
On 2018-08-18 10:28, nospam wrote:

[...]
> market cap is not an illusion nor a bet.
>
> it's basic math: number of shares * share price. very simple.
[...]

I was talking about the meaning(s) of the numbers.

It's like test scores. 50% correct may be a pass in one context, while
another context requires at least 80% correct.

Have a good day.

Nomen Nescio

Aug 19, 2018, 5:27:54 AM8/19/18
In article <180820181028304063%nos...@nospam.invalid>
That is a half-assed explanation by one of our lower half 50%ers.

The correct answer is mcap = share price * (# of shares
outstanding -{treasury stock}).

Nomen Nescio

Aug 19, 2018, 6:47:54 AM8/19/18
In article <llWdD.50149$Xt....@fx16.iad>
Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2018-08-18 10:28, nospam wrote:
>
> [...]
> > market cap is not an illusion nor a bet.
> >
> > it's basic math: number of shares * share price. very simple.
> [...]
>
> I was talking about the meaning(s) of the numbers.
>
> It's like test scores. 50% correct may be a pass in one context, while
> another context requires at least 80% correct.

A 50% test score means you're pretty fucking dumb. Consider
grading on a curve. Liberals are generally the lowest scores in
the curve because they are lazy and always fucking off.
Conservatives raise the curve because they do well and work
harder in more difficult areas of study.

> Have a good day.

Ditto.