Buckner Cave in Southern Indiana

DJW

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
Hi. Has anyone in this group gone through Buckner Cave on Eller Road
near Bloomington, Indiana?
I am planning on going there next week and would appreciate any feedback
on your experience there. I have been to Salamander Cave up the road but
it is prone to flooding.
I haven't caved in over 15 years so I consider myself a novice.

Thanks for your help..

Dan

Mhcaver

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
Buckner's is one of the most trashed caves I think you'll find. If you can
overlook all of the trash and vandalism (and it's very extensive), you might
find the cave fun. It's big and fun in place. It's just too bad it's so
vandalized.

Since you haven't been in the Garrison Chapel Valley area in 15 years, you
might want to know that Salamander Cave is closed and your subject to arrest
and getting your car towed if they catch you parked on the road, church, or
catch you on the property.

Have fun at Buckner's.

Mike Hood, NSS 24166LF

Brett Bennett

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
We are going on the 1st. You are welcome to join us if you like.
E-mail me for more details. crp...@mtco.com

Brett Bennett
Crippled Caver Undergear
NSS # 45625

Luke49133

Aug 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/2/98
Buckner's is a pretty cool cave with considerable crawling. I strongly
recommend a good pair of knee pads. The path is worn so you should not get
lost. Tons of graffiti as well. The cave entrance to Buckner's is a classic.
It is really neat. My favorite cave in that southern indiana area is Popcorn
Springs in Lawrence county just off of 37. Happy trails.

Luke

Freestone Wilson

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98

DJW wrote in message <35B90B...@indiana.edu>...
>Hi. Has anyone in this group gone through Buckner Cave on Eller Road
>near Bloomington, Indiana?
>I am planning on going there next week and would appreciate any feedback
>on your experience there. I have been to Salamander Cave up the road but
>it is prone to flooding.
>I haven't caved in over 15 years so I consider myself a novice.
>Thanks for your help..
>Dan
------
I have noted how the midwest storms...having lived in southern
Illinios...how much rain can fall in an hour and three inches in one rain is
not unusual.

beware of flash flood flooding; i have read of people being trapped in the s
Indianna.systems....

do not go in..if it is looking like a storm..ouside..
Note if the ceilings of your cave have sticks and debris up high....note if
there are sticks and flood junk..around the entrance..where much more water
comes to the cave..than what can go into it....
a cave can flood in minutes; seconds!!!
freestone

Randy Wahlfeldt

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
Buckners is considered a "dry" cave not prone to flooding. If I am going
caving in that area and it's wet outside, I'll go to Buckners. Of course,
use your own judgment.

A few years back, some yahoo diverted the stream into the entrance of the
crawlway. The crawlway in Buckners became very muddy. Actually, it was
great! you didn't have to crawl, you pushed off and slid on your belly like
an otter. Much easer!

Several people have died in Salamander (now closed!) because of flooding. It
sumps at the entrance. When they go in it's OK. When they try and come out,
the rain has flooded the entrance. They get macho and think, I can make it,
I'll just hold my breath, it ain't far. Famous last words! I believe 5
people have died this way. All trying to exit after a rain storm.

Randy Wahlfeldt

Allen Dale Hutchison

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
I'm in Buckners almost every week. I can confirm that the circle route
doesn't take much water, and the crawlway is usually just fine, unless the
stream has been diverted.

I would also like to reiterate Randy's point. Salamander is closed, so
please don't go there.

Allen

Randy Wahlfeldt <ran...@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
6qagcj$t2i$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu...

Dennis Selwa

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
Im surprised at the death count at Salamander.That cave seemed to me to be an
ultra easy stroll through cave but I guess looks can be deceiving and
during rain there could be an entirely different story.I used to go in
there alone many times.Please dont flame me for caving alone because it
really was easy exploration. I'd only get into trouble if I had a heart attack
or something.The last time I was in there was 1970.
Dennis Selwa
San Diego Grotto

ber...@students.goshenschools.org

Feb 24, 2020, 10:39:47 AM2/24/20
On Friday, July 24, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, DJW wrote:
> Hi. Has anyone in this group gone through Buckner Cave on Eller Road
> near Bloomington, Indiana?
> I am planning on going there next week and would appreciate any feedback
> on your experience there. I have been to Salamander Cave up the road but
> it is prone to flooding.
> I haven't caved in over 15 years so I consider myself a novice.
>
> Thanks for your help..
>
> Dan

im doing a research project someone help me :)

--

Find resources to help stop bullying here
<http://www.pacerteensagainstbullying.org/#/home>

By pressing "send" on
this email, I acknowledge that this is not my personal email account, and
that any emails I send or receive belong in whole or in part to Goshen
Community Schools, and that I am expected to conform to the behavioral
standards of Goshen High School. This includes emails that engage in
activity recognized as cyberbullying
<http://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/>.