Foods which cause least/most foul smelling poop?

AlexZ

Jun 3, 2006, 3:23:07 AM6/3/06
I am wondering what your experience is concerning the correlation
between food type (dry or canned), protein source (chicken, beef, fish,
etc), or brand (fancy feast, whiskas, friskies, iams, etc) and how bad
smelling the cat poop is?

cybercat

Jun 3, 2006, 9:31:33 AM6/3/06

"AlexZ" <al...@no.spam> wrote in message

Great news: the higher the quality of the food, the less they poop.
No kidding. Why? Because they actually use more of what they
eat. Feed your cats canned food with meat (not byproducts) as
its first ingredient (beef, liver, chicken, turkey, keep the fish to a
minimum) and few grains and you'll see what I mean. I feed Fancy
Feast and the food actually smells worse than the poop probably
does. However--I never actually smell any poop, I use a good
quality scoopable litter and keep the box clean. Do you live
in a very small place?

blkcatgal

Jun 3, 2006, 10:06:03 AM6/3/06
I wonder if this is really true. One of my cats is on a special diet food
that I get from the vet....limited ingredients....we're trying to determine
whether he has a food allergy or not. The food is rabbit and
peas...IVD....made by Royal Canin. He gets a combination of canned and dry.
I assumed this is a higher quality food. However, my cat poops at least
twice a day (we've started calling him "Sir Poop-A-Lot")and the poop really
smells. Maybe it's because it's rabbit rather than chicken, beef, turkey,
etc. My other cat gets Wellness or Petguard canned and the special diet dry
(easier to give both cats the same dry). He doesn't poop nearly as much and
it doesn't smell as bad.

Sue

"cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

cybercat

Jun 3, 2006, 11:39:16 AM6/3/06

"blkcatgal" <blkc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I wonder if this is really true. One of my cats is on a special diet food
> that I get from the vet....limited ingredients....we're trying to
determine
> whether he has a food allergy or not. The food is rabbit and
> peas...IVD....made by Royal Canin. He gets a combination of canned and
dry.
> I assumed this is a higher quality food. However, my cat poops at least
> twice a day (we've started calling him "Sir Poop-A-Lot")and the poop
really
> smells. Maybe it's because it's rabbit rather than chicken, beef, turkey,
> etc. My other cat gets Wellness or Petguard canned and the special diet
dry
> (easier to give both cats the same dry). He doesn't poop nearly as much
and
> it doesn't smell as bad.
>
> Sue

Sue, I don't think your cat needs peas. :) I think the higher the carbs, the
stinkier the poo. And rabbit? :) Have you tried feeding Sir Poops-A-Lot
Fancy Feast varieties that have no wheat gluten and meat as a first
ingredient? It got my allergic and asthmatic cat off of Depo shots.

First time I noticed the difference in poop? Was years ago when I
switched from cheap dry to Science Diet dry. Lower volume, lower
stink. Cats are carnivores, they need meat.

Joe Canuck

Jun 3, 2006, 1:34:40 PM6/3/06

Generally, given a healthy cat, there are two factors...

1) The cat's digestive system.

2) High quality food.

You can pick the highest quality food; however, if the cat's digestive
system balks at this particular food the end result may be bad smelling
poop.

In that case it will be necessary to try another food to see what works
well for your particular cat.

It is also necessary to give the cat time to adjust to the new food.
Once you do find something that works stick with it.

Jennifer

Jun 3, 2006, 1:52:44 PM6/3/06

cybercat wrote:
> "blkcatgal" <blkc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Sue, I don't think your cat needs peas. :) I think the higher the carbs, the

> stinkier the poo. And rabbit? :) Have you tried feeding Sir Poops-A-Lot
> Fancy Feast varieties that have no wheat gluten and meat as a first
> ingredient? It got my allergic and asthmatic cat off of Depo shots.

The reason that vets prescribe the IVD rabbit and peas for cats that
are suspected to have food allergies (at least, the reason my vet did
so for my cat) is that the cat has to eat a novel source of protein --
a meat that he has never been previously exposed to. Most cats have
had chicken, turkey, fish, etc, so when the vet is checking for
allergies, they tend to put the cats on rabbit or venison.

I don't think Fancy Feat comes in venison ;)

--
Jennifer

AlexZ

Jun 3, 2006, 1:58:06 PM6/3/06
Joe Canuck <Joe.Canuck@-remove-gmail.com> wrote:

: It is also necessary to give the cat time to adjust to the new food.

: Once you do find something that works stick with it.

I do believe in changing anything slowly, but are you suggesting the
cat eat only one kind of food? Then we would be "hostage" to that
company either remaining in business, and not dropping or substantially
chaning that formula.

blkcatgal

Jun 3, 2006, 2:05:45 PM6/3/06
Yes, that's exactly why my vet recommended the limited ingredient food.
Ernie developed ulcers on his mouth (not real bad, just one or two) and my
vet wanted to rule out food allergies. For the most part, while I fed him
the IVD he didn't develop any more ulcers. I began feeding him regular food
again and he got another ulcer. I switched back to the IVD. But it has
been very difficult keeping Ernie out of the regular food (I feed my other
cat regular food because he's not thrilled with the IVD ) and Ernie also
gets into people food (actually grabbed a raw chicken breast that I was
planning on grilling right off of the kitchen counter; I got it away from
him). He hasn't had any ulcers lately, though, so I'm not sure if the
ulcers are caused by food allergies or not. But I'm still feeding him the
IVD.

Sue
"Jennifer" <msj...@gmail.com> wrote in message

AlexZ

Jun 3, 2006, 2:05:50 PM6/3/06
: "AlexZ" <al...@no.spam> wrote

:
: Great news: the higher the quality of the food, the less they poop.
: No kidding. Why? Because they actually use more of what they
: eat. Feed your cats canned food with meat (not byproducts) as
: its first ingredient (beef, liver, chicken, turkey, keep the fish to a
: minimum) and few grains and you'll see what I mean. I feed Fancy
: Feast and the food actually smells worse than the poop probably
: does. However--I never actually smell any poop, I use a good
: quality scoopable litter and keep the box clean. Do you live
: in a very small place?

My space is medium size and I also can't prentend that we have a
serious smell problem, but still the less the better.

Basically I am experimenting with various canned food varieties in an
attempt to locate a few that are not too expensive, high quality
nutrition, and she'd like them. Then I thought I may as well get some
education about poop smell issue from the experienced owners, if
certain types of food, good as they may be in other ways, are to be
avoided for this reason.

Only thing I don't like about fancy feast is that it comes in 3oz cans
and gets artificially expensive. I do use it but tend to prefer brands
that offer 5.5 oz cans.

Joe Canuck

Jun 3, 2006, 2:44:14 PM6/3/06

Unlike humans, cats don't appear to be interested much in food variety.

This is why it is important to not only pick a good food, but also a
manufacturer that will be around for a while.

cybercat

Jun 3, 2006, 4:04:10 PM6/3/06

"Jennifer" <msj...@gmail.com> wrote in message

haha! Gotcha. However, a more common cause of allergies is grains.

cybercat

Jun 3, 2006, 4:08:55 PM6/3/06

"AlexZ" <al...@no.spam> wrote in message

I see. Joe is right, by the way--it does depend on the cat. I was talking
about my experience, your mileage may vary. (My point to you was, as I do
not know you and it sure sounds like your nose is the focal point here--do
what is best for the cat. And get a bigger place, scoop more often or change
litter.)

FF is expensive--but it's worth it to me to keep my cat's allergies, asthma
at bay, plus it is available everywhere. The other thing--I had an 18-lb
lardbutt cat that is now 8 lbs and shiny and frisky from eating nothing but
FF every twelve hours. FF has been beddy beddy goooood to us, in other
words.

Charlie Wilkes

Jun 3, 2006, 5:14:08 PM6/3/06

The correlation I have noticed is that cat shit stinks.

Charlie

Joe Canuck

Jun 3, 2006, 5:40:18 PM6/3/06

Then stop lingering over the litter box to inhale! :-D

AlexZ

Jun 4, 2006, 12:09:57 AM6/4/06
cybercat <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote:

: FF is expensive--but it's worth it to me to keep my cat's allergies, asthma

: at bay, plus it is available everywhere. The other thing--I had an 18-lb
: lardbutt cat that is now 8 lbs and shiny and frisky from eating nothing but
: FF every twelve hours. FF has been beddy beddy goooood to us, in other
: words.

Which flavors of fancy feast do you like for your cat?

cybercat

Jun 4, 2006, 12:53:26 PM6/4/06

"AlexZ" <al...@no.spam> wrote in message

Someone recently posted a list of the ones that have no wheat
gluten, and I noticed that they included the ones I buy all the
time. My cats like the ground stuff--all they will do is lick the
gravy off of the roasted/sliced varieties.

I first notices a positive change in my allergic cat when she
was eating nothing but Chopped Grill Feast. (Although, this
variety does have "meat byproducts" as a first ingredient it
does not have wheat gluten.)

Others I use: Tender Beef Feast, Gourmet Chicken Feast,
Tender Beef and Chicken Feast, Tender Liver and Chicken
Feast, and Salmon Feast.

AlexZ

Jun 4, 2006, 6:29:37 PM6/4/06
cybercat <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote:

: > Which flavors of fancy feast do you like for your cat?

:
: Someone recently posted a list of the ones that have no wheat
: gluten, and I noticed that they included the ones I buy all the
: time. My cats like the ground stuff--all they will do is lick the
: gravy off of the roasted/sliced varieties.
:
: I first notices a positive change in my allergic cat when she
: was eating nothing but Chopped Grill Feast. (Although, this
: variety does have "meat byproducts" as a first ingredient it
: does not have wheat gluten.)
:
: Others I use: Tender Beef Feast, Gourmet Chicken Feast,
: Tender Beef and Chicken Feast, Tender Liver and Chicken
: Feast, and Salmon Feast.

Thanks. Mine too will lick the gravy off leaving all meat pieces behind
if you give her the chance. A few observations:

1. I have read not to feed much beef, anyway it seems like an unnatural
food for a cat. A chicken she could have killed and eaten, cow I am
less sure. :)

2. She loves safood in "flaked" line but people say go easy on seafood.

3. She also loves Chunky Chiken Feast, but it seems to be high in
phosphorous according a list posted here.

So I haven't found anything which is good from all angles that she
would eat. But I am still researching.

Besides fancy feast I am also trying Iams and Science Diet as they are
often available more economically.

cybercat

Jun 4, 2006, 6:38:33 PM6/4/06

"AlexZ" <al...@no.spam> wrote in message:

> Besides fancy feast I am also trying Iams and Science Diet as they are
> often available more economically.

I have to say, I had great results with Science Diet with my first cat,
who ate it for the last 15 of her twenty years and never was sick until
her last illness, and we still don't know what that was, she just stopped
eating. But of course, all cats are different. When you find what works for
yours, please share the information!

Morgen

Jun 4, 2006, 6:59:28 PM6/4/06
I have done some research on this topic - sorry I haven't checked in in
a while.

I go to Only Natural Pet and get Natual Balance dry food. It seems to
be the best for cats with touchy digestive systems. Also, you can try
the "raw" foods there.

Good luck!

Morgen Marshall
http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com

PawsForThought

Jun 5, 2006, 1:35:05 PM6/5/06

My cats are on a homemade raw diet. I have to say I don't notice the
poops smelling bad like they did from cats I fed commercial food to.
But if you use a higher quality commercial food, it can really make a
difference than if you feed the cheaper stuff.

See my cats: http://mickeymeesha.photosite.com/mm/

PawsForThought

Jun 5, 2006, 1:37:56 PM6/5/06

Joe Canuck wrote:

> AlexZ wrote:
> > Joe Canuck <Joe.Canuck@-remove-gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > : It is also necessary to give the cat time to adjust to the new food.
> > : Once you do find something that works stick with it.
> >
> > I do believe in changing anything slowly, but are you suggesting the
> > cat eat only one kind of food? Then we would be "hostage" to that
> > company either remaining in business, and not dropping or substantially
> > chaning that formula.
>
> Unlike humans, cats don't appear to be interested much in food variety.

This sure isn't true with my cats. They get lots of variety and thrive
on it. The problem comes when a cat is fed only one particular food
from the time it is young. Then it can become difficult to change
foods in the future should that particular company go down the tubes,
or changes flavors or textures. I always recommend feeding as much
variety as possible. Also, where one particular food may be lacking in
certain nutrients, variety can balance it out.

Matthew

Jun 5, 2006, 1:40:52 PM6/5/06

"PawsForThought" <micke...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Same here the only food that they seem to eat no matter what is 9 lives
tuna with real egg bits but anything else if given for a while they will
snub it till it rots

AlexZ

Jun 5, 2006, 2:38:53 PM6/5/06
Matthew <Iamaca...@proudtoserve.com> wrote:

: Same here the only food that they seem to eat no matter what is 9 lives

: tuna with real egg bits but anything else if given for a while they will
: snub it till it rots

Is that red tuna or white? There was some discussion in the groups that
red is not good for their health.

Matthew

Jun 5, 2006, 3:02:29 PM6/5/06
I believe it is white but there is always discussions in the groups

Too many years have past for me to put full faith in believing the experts
one will say this is the one and provide medical facts than a time will
pass then they will say this is the one and provide facts than so on and so
on.

"AlexZ" <al...@no.spam> wrote in message

cybercat

Jun 5, 2006, 3:20:36 PM6/5/06

"Matthew" <Iamaca...@proudtoserve.com> wrote in message

> I believe it is white but there is always discussions in the groups
>
> Too many years have past for me to put full faith in believing the
experts
> one will say this is the one and provide medical facts than a time will
> pass then they will say this is the one and provide facts than so on and
so
> on.

See, this is how I feel, more and more as time goes on.

One good example: I never stopped eating eggs, over a lifetime of
hysteria about how bad they are supposed to be for you. Why? Because
they are one of the most complete food sources around, you can do
lots of things with them, and I like them! (Plus, a dozen for a buck or
so beats the $5 a pound we pay for other complete animal protein
sources, for real!) And I have never had high cholesterol, it stays at
150-160 due to exercise, and, most importantly, heredity, which they
NOW say plays at least as large a role as diet in cholesterol, given that
they NOW say "40% of the body's cholesterol comes from diet and
the rest is what your own body actually makes."

That said, isn't the color of that Nine Lives tuna and egg very red?
My mom fed her cat that stuff, and if it is the same as then, it is
red, red, red.

> "AlexZ" <al...@no.spam> wrote in message
> > Matthew <Iamaca...@proudtoserve.com> wrote:
> >
> > : Same here the only food that they seem to eat no matter what is 9
lives
> > : tuna with real egg bits but anything else if given for a while they
> > will
> > : snub it till it rots
> >
> > Is that red tuna or white? There was some discussion in the groups that
> > red is not good for their health.

PawsForThought

Jun 6, 2006, 11:21:44 AM6/6/06

cybercat wrote:
> That said, isn't the color of that Nine Lives tuna and egg very red?
> My mom fed her cat that stuff, and if it is the same as then, it is
> red, red, red.

I used to feed 9 Lives to a cat I had and one day she puked it up on
our dining room carpet. I tried everything, but that stain never would
come up. I think they add food dyes to the food.

-L.

Jun 6, 2006, 11:35:04 AM6/6/06

cybercat wrote:
> haha! Gotcha. However, a more common cause of allergies is grains.

FWIW, the Pea and Rabbit food is quite palatable (every cat I ever fed
ot to loved it) and very high quality. Costs an arm and a leg, though.
If we ever got any bags returned to the vet, I got to take them home.
My cats were in heaven.

-L.

Liz

Jun 6, 2006, 1:41:48 PM6/6/06

Our two (Singapuras) eat James Wellbeloved biscuits and have one tray
of Sheba a day. No smell at all, and they're not farty either. They
enjoy their food, and they're in very good condition.

The type of litter goes a long way to limiting smell, as far as I can
see. We use a silica gel one (City Cat or Bob Martin, depending on
whichever is cheaper when we go to the shop - there are sometimes
offers.)

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

cybercat

Jun 6, 2006, 3:08:42 PM6/6/06

"PawsForThought" <micke...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Makes sense to me. I have seen this with cheap dry too. (Up close!
Early in her life I fed my first cat some kind that was "beefy red"
and tried to get THAT out of the carpet .... same thing.)

cybercat

Jun 6, 2006, 3:09:08 PM6/6/06

"-L." <gent...@peacemail.com> wrote in message

Who makes it?

Jennifer

Jun 6, 2006, 4:05:40 PM6/6/06

cybercat wrote:
> "-L." <gent...@peacemail.com> wrote in message
> > FWIW, the Pea and Rabbit food is quite palatable (every cat I ever fed
> > ot to loved it) and very high quality.
> >

> Who makes it?

It used to be IVD - Innovative Veterinary Diets, but the company name
has recently changed to Royal Canin.

http://www.royalcanin.us/vetdietfelineprod.html under the "Limited
Ingredient Diets".

--