Febreze and cat urine smell

little pretty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
My cat wet my bed and I was wondering does Febreze work to get the smell
out? I also read on a website that listerine and vinegar is supposed to work
does anyone know if that's true? I hope I can find something that works soon
cause I am tired of sleeping on the couch :\

--
Alien Blast and Strawberry Dreams,
NiNA

H.T.I.D. (Hanson Til I Die)

http://ficus.forest.net/hanson/ ~*Be A Part of the largest Hanson Petition.
Demand some respect now!*~

http://www.hansonhotel.com/heart/ ~*A Heart to Follow: Hanson Fans Fight
Back*~

Jos

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
NiNa,

Better take care there... I have heard that Febreze can do harm to cats and
dogs.
I have seen no evidence as yet, but word is out that is poisonous to them.

Jos

Cynthia Mininni

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
In order to neutralize the odor from cat urine try a product called
"Elimin-Odor" Feline, manufactured by SmithKline Beecham. Should be available at
veterinarians. If the don't carry it in stock, see if they can order it for you.
VERY effective product. Febreze will NOT work well at getting the smell of cat
urine out, will only cover it slightly for a while. Also, avoid treating the
area with anything else prior to treating with Elimin-Odor, particularly acidid
products, as they will severely lessen the efficacy of Elimin-Odor.

Regards,
Cindy

Beth

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

little pretty <liamo...@amoasis.net> wrote in message

> My cat wet my bed and I was wondering does Febreze work to get the smell
> out? I also read on a website that listerine and vinegar is supposed to
work
> does anyone know if that's true? I hope I can find something that works
soon
> cause I am tired of sleeping on the couch :\

Nope. You need an enzyme-based product such as Nature's Miracle or Pet Odor
Eliminator (which is the one I generally use). Available at most pet
stores.

Larry Osborne

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
One of my sister's cats went on my open travel bag and stunk up the bag and
extra clothing for the weekend. After washing, I needed two applications of
Febreeze to get rid of the smell but it did work on the clothing. The
travel bag just had to many spots I could never get clean and was ancient so
I tossed it.

Today, I think I would try OxyClean. It should work. The oxygen bleach
that it contains should tear apart any of the odor causing compounds in cat
urine.

Larry Osborne

"little pretty" <liamo...@amoasis.net> wrote in message
> My cat wet my bed and I was wondering does Febreze work to get the smell
> out? I also read on a website that listerine and vinegar is supposed to
work
> does anyone know if that's true? I hope I can find something that works
soon
> cause I am tired of sleeping on the couch :\

Larry Osborne

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
That story did do the rounds. If memory serves correct Febreeze now sports
on its label an endorsement (?) by the US Humane Society to the effect that
there have been no known cases of dogs or cats harmed by the product ( at
least if used properly ). This really went the rounds of the internet last
year. These rumors may be started by competitors. It is best not to
believe these rumors that float on the internet until you can verify their
validity.

Larry Osborne

"Jos" <jos...@wildmail.com> wrote in message

ibidem

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
Jos wrote:
> NiNa,
> Better take care there... I have heard that Febreze can do harm to cats and
> dogs. I have seen no evidence as yet, but word is out that is poisonous to them.
> Jos

The basis for that is the fact that pet birds have been killed by
exposure to Febreze; this has been documented. There are numerous
anecdotal accounts of cats- and other critters, including humans-
suffering a variety of harmful effects from it, and some critters (not
people) have died, though its hasn't been firmly established that
Febreze was the direct cause of that. Many of the anecdotes relating to
Febreze harming cats have appeared on the cat NGs. There is no reason to
believe they were fabricated, though the stories are only suggestive,
since no necropsies or further investigations were performed.
It's interesting that the SPCA, for the first time in its long history,
actually endorsed this product for Proctor and Gamble. When a nonprofit
like them endorses a commercial product like that, I personally get a
cold chill. Why does the product need their endorsement? How much was
the SPCA paid to do it? Having tried the stuff myself, I would urge you
to avoid it. It really does kill birds.

I think you'll have much better luck with one of the enzyme products
out there. Keep it damp for several days, or the enzymes die, that's the
trick. It's way safer than Febreze.
--
Paul
*the one formerly known as konengro*

Dennis

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
Febreze is only intended for general odours, not for anything as pungent as
peepee. There are products available that are specifically intended for it
as they neutralize the phosphorous and ammonia that wouldn't be present in
what Febreze is for.

I have tried to use Febreze on carpeting in the entry of my apartment and
found that it helps but doesn't do the job as it should. My cats are still
both very much alive. I wouldn't spray it on them or use it where they
sleep, but if they don't like the smell in the entry because of it they
won't go there.

Beth

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
ibidem <ibi...@coldcuts.worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Paul has a very good point.

I have never used Febreze and I don't know what the truth really is about
the product. But I have a few thoughts about it:

1 - It is a P&G product and I don't buy P&G products on general principle.
2 - I don't need it. I've managed to live for years without it and have
done just fine, thank you very much.
3 - I try as much as possible to restrict my cleaning supplies to products
that I know for a fact I can use around cats without harming them - Quik 'n
Brite, vinegar, baking soda, and a small amount of bleach, plus the enzyme
stuff for pee spots when necessary. The only exceptions to this are Windex
for windows and dish soap.

It drives me crazy the way these companies come up with some product and
then spend gazillions of dollars on ad campaigns designed to make people
think that they simply can't live without them. How on earth did Western
Civilization survive for all these millennia without Febreze????? I simply
can't imagine....

SRiddles

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
>Paul has a very good point.
>
>I have never used Febreze and I don't know what the truth really is about
>the product. But I have a few thoughts about it:
>
>1 - It is a P&G product and I don't buy P&G products on general principle.
>2 - I don't need it. I've managed to live for years without it and have
>done just fine, thank you very much.
>3 - I try as much as possible to restrict my cleaning supplies to products
>that I know for a fact I can use around cats without harming them - Quik 'n
>Brite, vinegar, baking soda, and a small amount of bleach, plus the enzyme
>stuff for pee spots when necessary. The only exceptions to this are Windex
>for windows and dish soap.
>
>It drives me crazy the way these companies come up with some product and
>then spend gazillions of dollars on ad campaigns designed to make people
>think that they simply can't live without them. How on earth did Western
>Civilization survive for all these millennia without Febreze????? I simply
>can't imagine....

I have to commend you on your basic common sense....I totally agree! I *have*
added an enzyme cleaner to the list of cleaning products I use.. but you're
absolutely right. No need to use a product, especially one surrounded by so
much controversy. We survived a long time without Febreeze... and to tell you
the truth, I think it smells weird.

Melanie

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
<<plus the enzyme stuff for pee spots when necessary.>>

what sort of enzyme cleaner do you all use? i use Bio-Kleen Bac-Out. it has a mild citrus scent, and it not only works on pee/ poop spots but also on stinky sink-drains. BTW, it's totally not-toxic, veggie, and not tested on animals (unlike almost everything made by P&G).

personally, i'd rather smell cat pee (awful as it is) than toxic chemicals *any day*.

hello - goodbye,
Melanie

Dweezel

Oct 29, 2000, 4:19:56 PM10/29/00
I have used Febreze on carpets , clothing, and my bed sheets. It seems to
work for me. The key is to use whatever order eliminator you are going to
use before you try to clean it. It does state on the label that it works on
pet urine smells. I think it depends on how big a mess it is.

Lisa Menery