phernome spray?

Cheryl Haslam

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
My vet was telling me about this new spray you can use to make a cat stop
peeing on furniture and carpets. My oldest cat (2yrs.) does this often.
This spray has phernomes in it that are supposed to calm them down. Has
anyone ever used this?

Robert C. Koestler

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
I tried it. Could not tell if it works. You have to spray the area
several times a day. It is expensive. $35

--
Bob Koestler, Saroko Cattery
http://www.siamese-kittens.com

Tim Haines

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
'Phernome'? Do you mean 'Pheromone'?

Scout

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
Cheryl Haslam wrote:

> My vet was telling me about this new spray you can use to make a cat stop
> peeing on furniture and carpets. My oldest cat (2yrs.) does this often.
> This spray has phernomes in it that are supposed to calm them down. Has
> anyone ever used this?

It's called Feliway and yes, it works. A friend of mine who adopted a
stray cat had a problem with her other cat spraying because he objected
to the interloper moving in. She used Feliway and it stopped the
spraying. It doesn't happen overnight I gather, I think you have to
spray daily for about a month even if the spraying appears to have
stopped, but if you follow the instructions it *does* work.

Scout

edwards2

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
this sounds pretty good assuming it really works, can anyone tell me if this
only works for spraying or if it works for other "accidents" too. My 2 ten
month old kittens seem to "poop" outside of the box but then go in the box
and scratch as if they ewre covering it up, even though they had just done
their business right outside the box. They were both seen by the vet and
received a clean bill of health. They do this even immediately after I've
changed the litter. Thanks!! Susan

Scout

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
edwards2 wrote:

> this sounds pretty good assuming it really works, can anyone tell me if this
> only works for spraying or if it works for other "accidents" too.

I called my friend who's used this and she read out what it says on the
leaflet while I typed it, so here goes:

"This innovative and patented product has some of the properties of
feline facial pheromones. Pheromones are chemical substances secreted
by animals to confirm their territory and to communicate with others.

The cat usually uses facial pheromones to familiarise itself with its
environment. Surfaces that have been marked with these pheromones are
recognised by the cat as familiar and comforting. Facial pheromones are
deposited by rubbing the object with the side of the face.

Amonst other properties, facial pheromones will inhibit urinary marking
when applied to an area.

Uses:

To stop or to prevent urinary marking by the cat.
To comfort the cat in an unknown or stressful environment (basket, cage,
car, holidays, new house etc.)
Feliway may be used in other specific cases and we advise you to discuss
the use of the product with your veterinary surgeon."

I've seen people on other NGs say that Feliway is brilliant for stopping
a cat scratching furniture, so it may well work for a pooping problem
too. Your best bet would be to speak to your vet about it.

Scout

na...@sketchgrowl.com

Dec 1, 2019, 6:03:06 AM12/1/19
Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents. Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home!

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and without any expensive sprays at that.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :smile:

To be honest, I don't know too much about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a review I found: https://nomorecatpee.com/index.htm

I'm based in Germany, by the way, so you should be able to get it too. Good luck!

Mack A. Damia

Dec 1, 2019, 12:36:49 PM12/1/19
I have two females, aged seven and nine. A couple of years ago, the
younger one began peeing on my bed - and in the same spot. I took her
to the vets, and she got a clean bill of health after tests, and this
means that it has to be behavioral. The strange thing is that she is
seven, and this only started when she was five or six.

I noticed that she did it when she was upset - and she even pooped a
couple of times. She used the other bed in another room, too, but I
have realized that she is really telling me something. I believe it
is territorial in nature - a conflict with the older cat.

She has spoiled a brand new king-size mattress by staining it. I have
a mattress protector on now, and both beds are covered by tarps; it is
the first thing I do after getting up in the morning - put the tarp
on.

She is my family; I love her dearly, and I have never punished her for
it. But I have spent several night washing sheets and spreads until
midnight.