RVing with a cat - HELP!!!!!!!!!

D. Arlington

Sep 27, 2009, 7:28:35 PM9/27/09
Can anyone tell me how they made out RVing with a cat? Our neighbors
abandoned their yr old cat when they moved and we adopted her. We have 2
trips planned for next month and no one to leave her with. Do cats travel
well? Do you put them in a "cat-carry" while on the road? Loose in the RV?
In the Tow-Vehicle (i.e. TV)? Do you use a leash and collar? A harness? I
fear we may open a door and she'll dart out and get lost or run over, or
she'll rip up the screens if left loose or alone in the RV. I would love to
keep her but not if travel will be torture for her. Suggestions PLEASE!

Steve Barker

Sep 27, 2009, 8:32:47 PM9/27/09

We just drive off and leave our 14 cats out where they are all the time.
Put out a self feeder and a big pan of water if you're really spoiling
them. Otherwise, they'll fend for themselves.

Jaxtraw

Sep 27, 2009, 8:39:36 PM9/27/09

Depends how long the trip is. If it's just a few days, leave plenty of dried
food in a bowl, lots of water, and the cat won't even realise you're gone.
Mind you, this is presuming an outdoor cat; I've no experience with indoor
cats. An outdoorer can happily amuse herself; an indoor I guess might go
stir crazy or something. During good weather, mine sometimes goes days at a
time when she only comes indoors to eat.

For actual travelling, I put mine in a cat carrier for her own safety.

Ian

Old Harley Rider

Sep 27, 2009, 9:18:12 PM9/27/09
Depends on the disposition of the Cat. Our Scottish Fold gave us no
problem at all.
As a matter of fact he slept most of the time....

Netmask

Sep 27, 2009, 9:43:18 PM9/27/09

Depends on where you live and any laws. In NSW Australia a cat must be
in a carry case if you are traveling by car or public transport.

Basically I think it is your social responsibility to others when
transporting any animal in a vehicle to have them safely secured
especially a cat of unknown origin or experience to travel other than in
a carry case for your own safety and others on the road, they can panic
and typically get under the break pedal and the rest is history.

Steve Wolf

Sep 27, 2009, 10:18:14 PM9/27/09
The net nannies want the cat in a seat belt.

It is good that some people obsess and worry about things commensurate
with their aptitude. Keeps them away from real issues where they'd make
muck things up.

Currently the local politicians are getting much pre-election air time
worrying about people who are using their cell phones to text messages
to others while they are driving. Never mind there are laws in all fifty
states requiring one to be attentive to one's driving. Violate that and
there's already a law. For this particular ditty, there is now two
laws. And the politicians strut, like bandy roosters, comfortable in
the good work they have done to save society. Wait until the people who
want cats in seat belts get to them! They will be so very excited.

Meanwhile, back in real government the real work continues, unabated by
the idiots above.

My dogs sleep on the front dash until a smell requires their attendance
at the open window near the couch. They might stop by for a scratch or
two on their way back to the dash. Have yet to see a flying dog
anywhere in the box.

Steve
www.wolfswords.com under the motorhome link

William Boyd

Sep 27, 2009, 10:43:52 PM9/27/09

RV training of a cat takes a lot of diligent attention. Start with a pet
kennel and progress to a closed room, of course with a litter box. Keep
in mind you might literally scare the shit out of a cat where as a dog
is a little more calm.

--
BILL P.
&

Jim

Sep 28, 2009, 12:02:34 AM9/28/09

"D. Arlington" <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

Hello Mr Arlington,

Yes, we have a now 4 year old nuetered male tabby that comes camping
with us all the time...we got him since a sprout at the SPCA. We call him
"the camp cat" lol...Freaking puss loves to camp!...inquisitive little
bastard!....Love him to death...His legal kennel name is "Sirshedsalot"...
"Puss" for short....
We pull a fifth wheel trailer. We put the puss in his travel pet
cage and leave him in it until we have everything loaded and are about a
mile down the highway, then we let him out (in the tow vehicle...not the
trailer).... He gives us a few very loud yeowls to let us know we have this
extra passenger for the first ten miles or so, then he settles down to a
seat cusion and falls asleep...only thing that wakes him is the ocasional
fly or such that happenes to wing past his nose... The best thing you can do
for your cat is take him/her with you... Ours is an absolute blast at the
campground...We NEVER let him outside the trailer though and he seems to
know his boundaries once camp is set up... My wife and I do a lot of fishing
at the lake we camp at. Our puss is quite happy to sun himself stretched
across the master bed and snooze while we are gone...he generally dosen't
even budge when we come back ... Just consider taking your kitty as a minor
lifestyle change and you'll both be happier...I have built the little bugger
his own cage now so he can go in and out as he pleases...I have
photos....(email me at morriswelding at sasktel dot net ) I designed it so
all he has to do is go to a window and bail out through a sliding
screen...he sits outside and watches the birds, squirrels, and me pan frying
fresh walleye... he also has his liter box out there so we don't have to
deal with that inside the trailer. It's good if your going to stay at a
campsite for a long time, but no good for overnight stays as it takes too
much time to set up (30 minutes) and tear down... ( we have a seasonal
campground where we stay a whole summer at one spot)
If your really concerned... Load your kitty and go for a 20 miler down
the highway before embarking on your real trip just to see how he
reacts...the rest will come as common sense... Happy camping... Jim

Netmask

Sep 28, 2009, 12:04:12 AM9/28/09

It's really all about thinking and caring of others on the road. If
an accident occurs and someone is killed and probably your cat and dog
as they hurtle at escape velocity towards the windscreen. I have had to
pick up the pieces so nanny laws are good to protect the many from the
selfish and unthinking hoons on the road. Using a phone in a car in
Australia is also illegal. You can always pick an Australian driver and
passenger overseas as we habitually buckle up and feel naked without a
seat belt. I wonder how many people would drive with a baby in the car
without a proper baby craddle fitted? recently a woman here was
arrested, sent to gaol and lost custody of her child when caught driving
at 90km with her baby in her lap. Specific laws are sometime necessary
to focus people on their responsibility to society as you often hear in
the law courts "Oh I didn't think that applied" etc.

You could of course try having no laws of the road and reverse the onus
of proof to prove you were driving safely.

NotMe

Sep 28, 2009, 12:44:03 AM9/28/09

: "D. Arlington" <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

: news:h9ortf$ogj$1...@news.tornevall.net...
: > Can anyone tell me how they made out RVing with a cat? Our neighbors
: > abandoned their yr old cat when they moved and we adopted her. We have
2
: > trips planned for next month and no one to leave her with. Do cats
travel
: > well? Do you put them in a "cat-carry" while on the road? Loose in the
: > RV? In the Tow-Vehicle (i.e. TV)? Do you use a leash and collar? A
: > harness? I fear we may open a door and she'll dart out and get lost or
run
: > over, or she'll rip up the screens if left loose or alone in the RV. I
: > would love to keep her but not if travel will be torture for her.
: > Suggestions PLEASE!

My daughter is engaged in the vet-care side of a rescue kitty program and we
often cart cats to different parts of the state (TX) and occasionally out of
state.

She/we/they use light doses of Dramamine/Benadryl if the cats show any sign
of stress.

More at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060904172746AAkjmNB

Seems to work but we don't usually have to wait that long. YMMV so verify
eveything with your vet.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 1:35:28 AM9/28/09

"Steve Barker" <ichase...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

This is a house cat. She's not used to being outdoors. If I left food out
there the possums and other wild animals would get it first. She's very
frightened when she's outside. It was so cruel to abandon an animal like
this.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 1:41:40 AM9/28/09

"Jaxtraw" <j...@knickersjaxtrawstudios.com> wrote in message

We'll be gone for over a week at a time and she's an indoor cat. I live in
a rural area so can't leave food out for her if she were left outside. I
have an old cat-carrier so can put her in that when we're driving down the
road. I'm not sure about how long she can comfortably ride in it before
needing a litter-pan break etc. I see campers with dogs all the time but
only one MotorHome with a cat these past 2 years. It makes me wonder if
they're hard to travel with.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 2:05:21 AM9/28/09

"Old Harley Rider" <ronin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Depends on the disposition of the Cat. Our Scottish Fold gave us no
> problem at all.
> As a matter of fact he slept most of the time....

Does he try to bolt out the MH or TT door once you're camped somewhere? Is
he happy to remain inside alone if you go off sightseeing? I am clueless as
to camping with a cat. And then there do have very different personalities.
Her first trip will be to a weekend Samboree not too far from home. This
should be a good test to see how she does. Have you had any problems with
your cat tearing up the screens?

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 2:11:29 AM9/28/09

"Netmask" <net...@catlover.com> wrote in message

I'm in the USA and know of no such laws here. I have a sturdy cat-carrier
she can ride in for her own safety, and I suppose ours. My great fear is
someone opening the van or TT door and she bolts out... into traffic or the
wilderness. That is once we're at our destination. She can't stay in the
carrier the whole 10 days to 2 weeks. We will be doing a lot of traveling
and camping in the future, that's why I'm concerned for her - and our TT. I
know if I take her to the shelter she has a zero chance of being adopted.
:*(

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 2:26:56 AM9/28/09

> It's really all about thinking and caring of others on the road. If an
> accident occurs and someone is killed and probably your cat and dog as
> they hurtle at escape velocity towards the windscreen. I have had to pick
> up the pieces so nanny laws are good to protect the many from the selfish
> and unthinking hoons on the road. Using a phone in a car in Australia is
> also illegal.

It should be illegal here also. I wish it was. I frequently see drivers
jawing away while holding the phone with one hand and constantly removing
the other hand, gesticulating, as though the person on the other end can see
them. Scary. Very scary.

You can always pick an Australian driver and
> passenger overseas as we habitually buckle up and feel naked without a
> seat belt.

We do have seatbelt laws and most people use them.

I wonder how many people would drive with a baby in the car
> without a proper baby craddle fitted? recently a woman here was arrested,
> sent to gaol and lost custody of her child when caught driving at 90km
> with her baby in her lap. Specific laws are sometime necessary to focus
> people on their responsibility to society as you often hear in the law
> courts "Oh I didn't think that applied" etc.

Babies and small children must ride in approved child-restraint seats.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 2:47:50 AM9/28/09

"William Boyd" <"William Boyd"@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> RV training of a cat takes a lot of diligent attention. Start with a pet
> kennel and progress to a closed room, of course with a litter box. Keep in
> mind you might literally scare the shit out of a cat where as a dog is a
> little more calm.

After reading these replies I plan to keep her in a comfy cat-carrier while
on the road. She'll be free in the TT with access to her pan, food and water
when we stop for the night. I'll have a collar or harness on her with a
leash and we'll be careful opening the TT door until we see if she tries to
bolt when it's opened. I know it would be better for her to stay at home
while we travel, but that would really inconvenience our neighbors.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 2:58:09 AM9/28/09

"Jim" <nospam@wherever> wrote in message

Thanks for all that information Jim. It sounds like your cat is well
adjusted and sees your 5th wheel as a second home. We have a small 19'
trailer and the TV is a van, so space is limited for "cat stuff." We often
just camp for the weekend. We do have room for her pan and a cat-carrier.
I like the name "Sirshedsalot." It sure would fit this new kitty if she was
a he. :-D
Had we planned to get a cat I would have gotten a small kitten at the
shelter so it would only know traveling, and be as comfy in the TT as it was
in our house.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 3:01:25 AM9/28/09

"NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> My daughter is engaged in the vet-care side of a rescue kitty program and
> we
> often cart cats to different parts of the state (TX) and occasionally out
> of
> state.
>
> She/we/they use light doses of Dramamine/Benadryl if the cats show any
> sign
> of stress.
>
> More at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060904172746AAkjmNB
>
> Seems to work but we don't usually have to wait that long. YMMV so verify
> eveything with your vet.

Meds would be the last resort and I'd get them from the vet. The info at
that site about getting them used to cars was helpful. Thanks. :-)

Luke

Sep 28, 2009, 7:26:05 AM9/28/09
"D. Arlington" <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in

My cat didn't like traveling. She was an indoor cat.
Maybe try the carrier, her blanket/bed and short rides in your car
first.

Old Harley Rider

Sep 28, 2009, 8:36:43 AM9/28/09
No, he doesn't try to run. We only take him out with a leash. He knows
where the leash is kept.
If he wants to go outside he will actually tug on the leash to let us
know. He is one of the nicest
cats we have ever had. He's like a 2 year old child......
Look for the calendar from Scottish Fold Club for 2006, our boy is on
the front cover...
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25tgcv4&s=4

Old Harley Rider

Sep 28, 2009, 8:53:44 AM9/28/09
Here he is, he won the contest for 2006 and they put him on the
calendar cover...
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fp9wur&s=4

William Boyd

Sep 28, 2009, 9:19:33 AM9/28/09
Old Harley Rider wrote:
> No, he doesn't try to run. We only take him out with a leash. He knows
> where the leash is kept.
> If he wants to go outside he will actually tug on the leash to let us
> know. He is one of the nicest
> cats we have ever had. He's like a 2 year old child......
> Look for the calendar from Scottish Fold Club for 2006, our boy is on
> the front cover...
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25tgcv4&s=4

Now that is one classy cat
Dog's T-Bag Pet Carrier is due in today or tomorrow. We will see how
well he likes to ride on the Harley Trike. He is around twelve years old
and loves to ride in the car, and RV tow vehicle.

Robert Bonomi

Sep 28, 2009, 2:13:37 PM9/28/09
In article <h9ortf$ogj$1...@news.tornevall.net>,

D. Arlington <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>Can anyone tell me how they made out RVing with a cat? Our neighbors
>abandoned their yr old cat when they moved and we adopted her. We have 2
>trips planned for next month and no one to leave her with. Do cats travel
>well?

It depends *TREMENDOUSLY* on the 'personality' of the cat.

_Many_ cats absolutely -hate- travelling in a vehicle, _at_all_ -- it seems
that they object violently when terra firm _isn't_ so firma any more <grin>

Others travel with _no_ problems. The classical "YMMV" applies -- with a
vengeance!

> Do you put them in a "cat-carry" while on the road? Loose in the RV?
>In the Tow-Vehicle (i.e. TV)? Do you use a leash and collar? A harness? I
>fear we may open a door and she'll dart out and get lost or run over, or
>she'll rip up the screens if left loose or alone in the RV. I would love to
>keep her but not if travel will be torture for her. Suggestions PLEASE!

The _first_ thing you need to do is see how kitty reacts when in the TV.
Get in the vehicle with her, and then start the engine. Just that was enough
to get our cat complaining vociferously. He'd prowl around the entire
vehicle -- underfoot, across laps, along the seat backs, dash, along the rear
deck, etc. -- and yowling constantly. More of the same when the vehicle was in
motion. Only a few miles (literally) and he was starting to get hoarse.

Secondly, I'd see how she reacts to a cat carrier. At home, with people around.
Then, at home, _without_ people around -- i.e., leave her in the carrier while
you go out somewhere for several hours.

Thirdly, check how she reacts to a leash. At home, _before_ you need to rely
on it.

*THEN* you'll have a bit of an idea how she'll react go going on a trip with
you.

_Assuming_ she's 'OK' with the cat carrier, I'd definitely keep her in it all
the time while you're actually moving -- the _last_ thing you need is an
panicked cat _underfoot_ (the driver's feet, that is) in an emergency situation.

Also, use the carrier if she's going to be left alone in the RV while you go
'somewhere else'. That way you won't return to any 'surprises'.

A leash, or something of that ilk , is a _very_ good idea, _if_ you're going
to let her out of the RV, *or* if she has any tendency to bolt out open doors.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 5:12:58 PM9/28/09

> No, he doesn't try to run. We only take him out with a leash. He knows
> where the leash is kept.
> If he wants to go outside he will actually tug on the leash to let us
> know. He is one of the nicest
> cats we have ever had. He's like a 2 year old child......
> Look for the calendar from Scottish Fold Club for 2006, our boy is on the
> front cover...
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25tgcv4&s=4

Beautiful cat. :-) Those ears give them a whole different look.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 5:15:31 PM9/28/09

> Here he is, he won the contest for 2006 and they put him on the calendar
> cover...
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fp9wur&s=4

What an adorable cat! :-)))

Thanks for sharing.

Old Harley Rider

Sep 28, 2009, 5:43:04 PM9/28/09
By the way. We tried a collar with a leash, no good. We tried the figure
8 harness, no good.
We use a vest/jacket and a leash, works perfect.....

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 5:57:42 PM9/28/09

"Luke" <m...@privacy.net.invalid> wrote in message

Yes, after reading all the replies that's what we intend to do.

D. Arlington

Sep 28, 2009, 7:06:53 PM9/28/09

"Robert Bonomi" <bon...@host122.r-bonomi.com> wrote in message

Thanks Robert. As soon as she settles down with us, hopefully in a few more
days, we'll start with the cat-carrier and go from there.

Robert Bonomi

Sep 28, 2009, 9:33:33 PM9/28/09
In article <h9rf0j$v75$1...@news.tornevall.net>,

Comment: while you're driving, the smaller carrier in the TV is probably
preferable -- can help to limit injuries in an emergency/accident. (assuming
the carrier is belted in, that is. It'd be a good idea to take the larger one
along in the RV, for situations where you might have to leave her alone for
an extended time. keeping the litter-box in the carrier (at _all_ times) does
wonders for eliminating surprises when she's confined there for an extended
period.

Bill Graham

Sep 29, 2009, 12:36:22 AM9/29/09

"D. Arlington" <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> Can anyone tell me how they made out RVing with a cat? Our neighbors
> abandoned their yr old cat when they moved and we adopted her. We have 2
> trips planned for next month and no one to leave her with. Do cats travel
> well? Do you put them in a "cat-carry" while on the road? Loose in the
> RV? In the Tow-Vehicle (i.e. TV)? Do you use a leash and collar? A
> harness? I fear we may open a door and she'll dart out and get lost or run
> over, or she'll rip up the screens if left loose or alone in the RV. I
> would love to keep her but not if travel will be torture for her.
> Suggestions PLEASE!
Cats are very adaptable. I have known them to live on sailboats, RV's and
other traveling environments perfectly well. If you love it, feed it, and
pay attention to it, it will get along wherever you get along.....

D. Arlington

Sep 30, 2009, 1:24:36 AM9/30/09

> By the way. We tried a collar with a leash, no good. We tried the figure 8
> harness, no good.
> We use a vest/jacket and a leash, works perfect.....

Where did you find the vest/jacket?

Old Harley Rider

Sep 30, 2009, 2:13:12 AM9/30/09
E-BAY............

Old Harley Rider

Sep 30, 2009, 2:16:41 AM9/30/09

D. Arlington

Sep 30, 2009, 2:23:17 AM9/30/09

"Robert Bonomi" <bon...@host122.r-bonomi.com> wrote in message

I think she'd feel more secure in the smaller one when moving down the road.
Robert, she wont use the litter pan. She insists on holding it until she can
go outside. She goes out, then hides from the neighbor's nasty territorial
cat under the outbuilding. She must relieve herself under there. I can't
het hold of some "poop" to seed the litter pan. She doesn't seem to know
what it is or what it's for.

I have to go get her after and hour or so. She's beside herself with
happiness when I come for her. She starts calling as soon as she hears me
approach and runs out to me to pick her up. Any ideas how I can get her to
use the litter pan? I fear a fox or coyote will get her. I want her to be
an indoor cat only even though she doesn't hunt.

D. Arlington

Sep 30, 2009, 2:27:34 AM9/30/09

"Bill Graham" <we...@comcast.net> wrote in message

She's getting a lot of love and attention. :-)

D. Arlington

Sep 30, 2009, 9:14:30 PM9/30/09

"Old Harley Rider" <ronin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thanks.

BTW, I rode a Honda 550 SuperSport in the 70s. ;-)

tanadashoes

Oct 3, 2009, 1:20:16 AM10/3/09

"D. Arlington" <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how they made out RVing with a cat? Our neighbors
> abandoned their yr old cat when they moved and we adopted her. We have 2
> trips planned for next month and no one to leave her with. Do cats travel
> well? Do you put them in a "cat-carry" while on the road? Loose in the
> RV? In the Tow-Vehicle (i.e. TV)? Do you use a leash and collar? A
> harness? I fear we may open a door and she'll dart out and get lost or run
> over, or she'll rip up the screens if left loose or alone in the RV. I
> would love to keep her but not if travel will be torture for her.
> Suggestions PLEASE!

Some friends of mine took their two cats full timing on their boat
(intercoastal waterway). The cats loved it. The RVers I've seen put their
cats in carriers tied down for traffic when on the road and on a leash if
they have to leave the RV with the owners. The cat's temperament is the
biggie. I suggest you try taking her with you on a trip and see how it
works.

Pam S. who would take the cats in an RV with her

D. Arlington

Oct 4, 2009, 6:18:30 PM10/4/09

"tanadashoes" <tan...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Hi Pam, we're going to take her with us for a weekend to see how she does
before the long trip for Thanksgiving. She likes to sleep in the cat-carrier
so I don't think she'll mind traveling in it. We're going to get the harness
on her tonight and see how she takes to it. She's calmed down quite a bit
these past few days. Right now she mostly eats and sleeps.

Mustang5

Oct 5, 2009, 3:44:04 AM10/5/09

"D. Arlington" <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how they made out RVing with a cat? Our neighbors
> abandoned their yr old cat when they moved and we adopted her. We have 2
> trips planned for next month and no one to leave her with. Do cats travel
> well? Do you put them in a "cat-carry" while on the road? Loose in the
> RV? In the Tow-Vehicle (i.e. TV)? Do you use a leash and collar? A
> harness? I fear we may open a door and she'll dart out and get lost or run
> over, or she'll rip up the screens if left loose or alone in the RV. I
> would love to keep her but not if travel will be torture for her.
> Suggestions PLEASE!

We had two cats at different times who traveled with us in the RV and loved
it. One needed a leash and one did not, and wouldn't go any where away from
the RV. They both loved it. When we got home after a trip, neither one
wanted to leave the Rv.

D. Arlington

Nov 15, 2009, 10:43:33 AM11/15/09

"Mustang5" <musta...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Did you have a MH or a TT... what kind of RV was it? Our cat (she had to be
put to sleep due to an infection) hated it. We just adopted 2 kittens and
we'll see how they adapt.

Bill Graham

Nov 15, 2009, 5:50:53 PM11/15/09

"D. Arlington" <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
The younger, the better.....But you have to keep them away from the driver's
feet......

Kelly Greene

Nov 15, 2009, 10:30:54 PM11/15/09

> "D. Arlington" <inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> Did you have a MH or a TT... what kind of RV was it? Our cat (she had to
>> be put to sleep due to an infection) hated it. We just adopted 2 kittens
>> and we'll see how they adapt.

> The younger, the better.....But you have to keep them away from the
> driver's feet......

They'll be in a large crate complete with a shelf, 2 cat beds and a small
litter pan. No way can there be 2 loose kitties in our van. One could sneak
out a door when we open it and get lost. They will be safe and comfortable
in the crate while on the road. When we stop they'll go in the RV with us.

John

Feb 22, 2021, 4:03:26 PM2/22/21
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:28:35 -0500, "D. Arlington"
<inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how they made out RVing with a cat? Our neighbors
>abandoned their yr old cat when they moved and we adopted her. We have 2
>trips planned for next month and no one to leave her with. Do cats travel
>well? Do you put them in a "cat-carry" while on the road? Loose in the RV?
>In the Tow-Vehicle (i.e. TV)? Do you use a leash and collar? A harness? I
>fear we may open a door and she'll dart out and get lost or run over, or
>she'll rip up the screens if left loose or alone in the RV. I would love to
>keep her but not if travel will be torture for her. Suggestions PLEASE!

My wonderful Manx cat Bob LOVED to travel in our motorhome. We did
over 200,000 miles together.

He'd detect when we were getting ready for a trip and would guard the
door out to the motorhome. Before we took him out, one of us would
put a harness on him. He ran free in the MH, his favorite place being
the passenger side dash.

He'd never try to exit the MH so no leash when we got out for gas or
snack breaks. He LOVED to be around us at the campsite. There I used
a lightweight 20 tether and one of those screw-into-the-ground anchors
to tether him to.

Some photos, many of him camping with us.
http://www.neon-john.com/Bob/bob_home.htm

John

John

Feb 22, 2021, 4:20:22 PM2/22/21
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 01:47:50 -0500, "D. Arlington"
<inv...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>After reading these replies I plan to keep her in a comfy cat-carrier while
>on the road.

Please don't unless her behavior requires it. She very well might
spend the trip in your lap. A cat carrier will both put her in a very
confined space and keep her away from you, her "parents". And if you
have to brake suddenly and the carrier goes tumbling, that would
torment your kitty.

>She'll be free in the TT with access to her pan, food and water
>when we stop for the night. I'll have a collar or harness on her with a
>leash and we'll be careful opening the TT door until we see if she tries to
>bolt when it's opened.

No collar. Every cat I've ever had could easily slide out of a
collar. Get the kind of harness with a strap across her chest and
straps that her legs go through.

> I know it would be better for her to stay at home
>while we travel, but that would really inconvenience our neighbors.

NO! Leaving a kitty which has bonded to you at home is cruel. I lost
my wife and sold the motorhome. Now I have to leave Fred at home
because most motels won't allow pets. I pay a lady to check on him
every other day. There's a security camera to keep an eye on things.
Even with a visit every other day, his plaintive cries bring me to
tears.

I'll probably get another small motorhome or trailer just to
accommodate Fred.

John