Garden

1 view

Mr Pounder

Oct 1, 2009, 1:25:47 PM10/1/09
Hi

I would appreciate any help on what is probably an old chessnut.

I am not much good at gardenening.
We moved home last year and now have quite a nice garden, it has cost money
and a lot of work.

Cats are insisting on digging up my flower beds and pooing everywhere.
I have tried:
Leaving a length of hose pipe on the lawn, cats think it is a snake
............ errr yes okay.
Kat - A -Pelt ............... did not work.
That green gel stuff in a bottle ....... did not work.
Talking to the cats ........... did not work.

I have a Scare Cat on order.

Has anybody any ideas?

Would pepper work?

I don't want to hurt them.

Appreciated

Steve

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Oct 1, 2009, 2:05:44 PM10/1/09

Mothballs? (I've never tried it myself, but I've been told scattering
them among the plants works.) When one of my California landlords
complained that my cats were digging in his garden, I bought some
"cat-proofing" pellets from a catalog, which he said worked like a
charm. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got them, or the name of
the product. (Also it was nearly twenty years ago, and in my
experience, most products I actually LIKE are promptly taken off of the
market!)

Mr Pounder

Oct 1, 2009, 2:41:25 PM10/1/09

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" <evg...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Thanks for that.
Will give it a go........... any port in a storm.

Steve

Yowie

Oct 1, 2009, 10:47:40 PM10/1/09
In news:vC5xm.100545$OO7....@text.news.virginmedia.com,
Mr Pounder <MrPo...@rationalthought.com> typed:

Cats (apparantly) hate the smell of citrus, so perhaps putting orange peel
on and in your garden might discourage them. Youcan also buy orange oil
fairly cheaply - and it also acts as a pesticide. Spray that around, and it
should keep all but the most determined cat off your garden.

You may also want to try laying something akin to a fine chicken wire mesh
over your garden bed (or just ever so slighly beneath the top of it), which
prevents the cats from digging in your flower beds.

Apprantly going to the zoo and collecting some 'big cat' effluent and
sprinkling it around will discourage smaller cats.

And yet another option is of course getting a cat yourself that will claim
your garden as their territory and scare off the other cats. This of course
may defeat the purpose :-)

HTH

Yowie

ScratchMonkey

Oct 2, 2009, 12:44:31 PM10/2/09
Perhaps a motion-activated sprinkler?

<http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-CRO101-Scarecrow-Motion-
Activated/dp/B000071NUS>

This way the cats (and other varmints) help keep your garden properly
watered. ;)

Mr Pounder

Oct 2, 2009, 1:54:13 PM10/2/09

"Yowie" <yowie9644....@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Yow

Thanks for that, I will try the orange peel.
Getting a cat is not really an option, the wife says no due to her wonderful
spotlessly clean wooden floors.
We were going to get another dog, we lost our wonderful Lucy dog four years
ago - it still hurts.
A dog would make marks on the wonderful spotlessly clean wooden floors:-(

Where would one buy orange oil?

Steve

Mr Pounder

Oct 2, 2009, 1:55:49 PM10/2/09

"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonk...@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message

Hmmm, page don't work.
BUT, that is a hell of a good suggestion!
Thanks.

Steve

ScratchMonkey

Oct 2, 2009, 3:12:32 PM10/2/09
Here's the manufacturer's page:

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/

Mr Pounder

Oct 2, 2009, 4:25:50 PM10/2/09

> Here's the manufacturer's page:
>
> http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/

Thanks, saved.
The Scare Cat is to be installed tomorrow.
The wife has been instructed to buy loads of oranges, peel will be laid
down.
I thought of lemons?
We will see.

Steve

Yowie

Oct 2, 2009, 5:49:52 PM10/2/09
"Mr Pounder" <MrPo...@rationalthought.com> wrote in message

Sorry to hear about your Lucy. Many of us here cat people (I'm posting from
RPCA) also have dogs that we love just as much, so we can sympathise

> A dog would make marks on the wonderful spotlessly clean wooden
> floors:-(

Yes, but they would be dog marks, not cat marks. There's a difference :-).
(please do not question female logic, you'll only end up hurting yourself)

> Where would one buy orange oil?

There's the usual 'herbal essences' type places, but they are going to
charge you through the nose for 'top quality' orange 'essential oils' which
you don't need - you just need the lower quality stuff because you aren't
using it to make a perfume or heal someone's aura.

Chemical companies and cleaning companies are good bets. Less pure orange
oil might also be known as 'orange terpenes' or 'd-limonene' and will
probably be just as effective because its the *smell* the cats don't like.
Be aware, though, that orange oil is not the perfectly safe, can use on
anythign and everything with no risk stuff - if you do go down the orange
oil route, please read the safety instructions first. The orange oil if used
neat will happily strip the natural oils out of your skin which can cause
irritation, and lead to dermititus. It will also melt some plastics. There's
a reason why its an industrial solvent!

Before you waste your money on buying the oil, though, try the citrus peels
or even make an 'orange soup' by putting orange peels & some water into a
food processor and spray the resulting mess around. If it has no effect at
all on the number of feline visitors, don't waste your money on the orange
oil, try the motion sensitive sprayers. Or the lion pee.

Good luck.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Pat

Oct 2, 2009, 7:08:22 PM10/2/09

Sherry

Oct 3, 2009, 12:28:49 AM10/3/09
On Oct 1, 12:25 pm, "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...@rationalthought.com>
wrote:

The only suggestion I've heard over the years is a water sprinkler on
a timer.
Allegedly, the cat gets sprinkled once or twice, and never, ever
returns.
(yeah, right)...
Mothballs, though they do sound like a good solution, are kind of
scary
because they're so toxic.

Sherry

Mr Pounder

Oct 3, 2009, 10:51:04 AM10/3/09

"Yowie" <yowie9644....@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Taa for that. She was an extraordinary dog. Used to do things that dogs are
not supposed to be able to do.
Gave me the creeps sometimes. Rescue dog, cross collie/Labrador. I could
never see the Labrador in her.

>> A dog would make marks on the wonderful spotlessly clean wooden
>> floors:-(
>
> Yes, but they would be dog marks, not cat marks. There's a difference :-).
> (please do not question female logic, you'll only end up hurting yourself)

I spent one hour in the garage today whilst the floor was being washed. Not
allowed in.

>> Where would one buy orange oil?
>
> There's the usual 'herbal essences' type places, but they are going to
> charge you through the nose for 'top quality' orange 'essential oils'
> which you don't need - you just need the lower quality stuff because you
> aren't using it to make a perfume or heal someone's aura.
>
> Chemical companies and cleaning companies are good bets. Less pure orange
> oil might also be known as 'orange terpenes' or 'd-limonene' and will
> probably be just as effective because its the *smell* the cats don't like.
> Be aware, though, that orange oil is not the perfectly safe, can use on
> anythign and everything with no risk stuff - if you do go down the orange
> oil route, please read the safety instructions first. The orange oil if
> used neat will happily strip the natural oils out of your skin which can
> cause irritation, and lead to dermititus. It will also melt some plastics.
> There's a reason why its an industrial solvent!
>
> Before you waste your money on buying the oil, though, try the citrus
> peels or even make an 'orange soup' by putting orange peels & some water
> into a food processor and spray the resulting mess around. If it has no
> effect at all on the number of feline visitors, don't waste your money on
> the orange oil, try the motion sensitive sprayers. Or the lion pee.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Yowie

We have the concentrated orange oil which I use if the Scare Cat don't work
:-)
Have to give the Scare Cat a chance.

Steve

Granby

Oct 4, 2009, 9:45:02 AM10/4/09
First, a length of pipe looks like a snake, think not. A piece of rope with
a knot at on end and laid out in a squiggly manner,~~~~thusly, maybe.

You might even find the little rubber snakes, at toy stores or here in
Illinois at hardware stores in the spring.

Moth balls do work but make an awful stink. Try and find some of the cat be
gone stuff on the net that you can order.

Mr Pounder

Oct 4, 2009, 11:12:24 AM10/4/09

"Granby" <sp...@joink.com> wrote in message

> First, a length of pipe looks like a snake, think not. A piece of rope
> with a knot at on end and laid out in a squiggly manner,~~~~thusly, maybe.

Yeah, the hose pipe did not work.

No damage this morning, I put the Scare Cat out yesterday :-)
One eye fell out, but I fixed it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cat+scarer&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=3225043899&ref=pd_sl_7f0w1m6pe8_b

Number 13.

Orange juice is ready should the Scare Cat be eaten by the cats.

> You might even find the little rubber snakes, at toy stores or here in
> Illinois at hardware stores in the spring.
>
> Moth balls do work but make an awful stink. Try and find some of the cat
> be gone stuff on the net that you can order.

I have tried a lot of stuff - no good.

Steve

Pat

Oct 4, 2009, 11:22:55 AM10/4/09

"Mr Pounder" <MrPo...@rationalthought.com> wrote

| I have tried a lot of stuff - no good.

Have you tried the repellent I suggested? It works here where I have a large
and very precious (to me) food garden!

Mr Pounder

Oct 4, 2009, 1:38:26 PM10/4/09

"Pat" <just_a_ghost@in_this_house.us> wrote in message

Can you refresh me on the repellents please?

No muck or damage since the Scare Cat was fixed.
I have orange juice ready; gotta see if the Scare Cat really works - process
of elimination.

Steve

Yowie

Oct 4, 2009, 6:33:36 PM10/4/09
"Mr Pounder" <MrPo...@rationalthought.com> wrote in message

Beware the effect of orange *juice* on the garden - too much and it will
acidify your soil. Its also full of sugar so it will be sticky and you may
get ants and/or other 6 legged critters after the sweetness.

Not saying orange *juice* won't work, but orange *oil* will provide more
stink and less sticky sweet acidic stuff. And oil will be more rain
resistant, albeit more expensive.

Jack Campin - bogus address

Oct 4, 2009, 7:40:56 PM10/4/09
>> Can you refresh me on the repellents please?
> Not saying orange *juice* won't work, but orange *oil* will provide
> more stink and less sticky sweet acidic stuff. And oil will be more
> rain resistant, albeit more expensive.

The only cat repellents I've found that actually worked were citrus
essences - super-high-potency grapefruit and tangerine intended for
industrial use (ice cream manufacture?). I've no recollection of
how I came by them, I got two half-pint bottles with unbranded typed
labels in Italian about 15 years ago and still have some to go in one
of the flavours. One thing it can do is soak into timber, so you can
dissuade cats from scratching wooden table legs or peeing on favourite
spots on wooden floors.

One teaspoonful splashed on the floor and your whole house smells of
citrus for weeks.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

tanadashoes

Oct 4, 2009, 9:27:34 PM10/4/09

"Pat" <just_a_ghost@in_this_house.us> wrote in message

Whenever I want to chase grapefruit out of my yard, I buy citrus repellent.

Pam S. in a goofy mood

Pat

Oct 5, 2009, 2:33:19 AM10/5/09

"Mr Pounder" <MrPo...@rationalthought.com> wrote

| Can you refresh me on the repellents please?

http://www.petguys.com/-039079084580.html?productid=-039079084580

Mr Pounder

Oct 5, 2009, 2:19:16 PM10/5/09

"Yowie" <yowie9644....@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Two small bottles yet to be used.
No damage yet, Scare Cat may be working.........................

Steve

ScratchMonkey

Oct 5, 2009, 5:06:01 PM10/5/09
"tanadashoes" <tan...@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Whenever I want to chase grapefruit out of my yard, I buy citrus
> repellent.
>
> Pam S. in a goofy mood

LOL, goofy works for me!

Message has been deleted

Sylvia M

Nov 11, 2009, 11:29:50 PM11/11/09

> "Mr Pounder" <MrPo...@rationalthought.com> wrote
>
> | Can you refresh me on the repellents please?
>
> http://www.petguys.com/-039079084580.html?productid=-039079084580

Also available at Petco.
Worked for me, but only where I put it, not 2 feet away :-(