Rewicking Jar Candles & Changing Scent

Wolfy

Feb 9, 2010, 3:09:20 PM2/9/10
If you have a jar candle that you love, but its wax well is so deep that you
have trouble lighting it, please don't throw it away. It's easy to rewick,
and even change the candle's scent, by following a few easy steps:

1) When your candle forms about a one-inch deep well, it's time to rewick
your candle to make it light easier and burn brighter.
2) Go to a crafts' shop, like Micheal's (http://www.micheals.com), and
purchase a pack of 100% cotton, 1/8-inch candle wick, with no disk. Most
packs contain four feet of wick which will rewick many candles. DO NOT
purchase wicks with wire inserts as they never burn as cleanly as 100%
cotton. I only paid about $2 for my pack so it's cheap.
3) Measure and cut a length of wick that extends from the bottom to about
one-inch above the top.
4) With the candle cold, use half of a bamboo skewer or chop stick to punch
a hole quite close to the old wick about four inches deep. If the old wick
is off-center, now's your chance to recenter it.
5) Using the pointed end of the stick, gently force the new wick into the
hole, then stretch it up so that it's straight.
6) Then, either thread the stick through the wick or tie a knot on the
stick with the wick so that the wick is straight up and taut.
7) If you want to rescent your candle, punch about six additional holes
about one-inch from the wick. Then, drip in a few drops of your favorite
aromatherapy or scented oil into each hole, being careful to avoid wetting
the wick. When the wax melts, the oil will mix with the wax.
8) Place your uncovered candle jar into a 2-quart sauce pan, fill the pan
with cold water until it reaches just below the wax level in the jar. Be
careful not to overfill the pan.
9) Heat the water until it boils, then reduce heat to simmer.
10) When the wax well fills with melted wax and the surface has also filled
with melted wax, then remove the candle jar with bottle tongs or a pot
holder, to a cool surface and wipe the jar dry.
11) Allow about three hours for the wax to reform and the jar to cool
before trimming the wick. Be sure that the surface is hard before trimming
wick.
12) Use a scissors or a nail clipper to trim your wick just above the area
that is waxed. One good thing about this method is that the wick is waxed
during this process, which will eliminate smoking when a new wick is lit.
13) Cover your candle for storage and you're now ready to enjoy a remade
candle which will save you lots of money. You'll notice that only a small
amount of wax is lost through burning so you can rewick your candle, and
rescent it, many times.

I have used this method with my American Pioneer, quart-size jar candle,
three times now without any problems. I changed the scent from apple to
lavender-chamomile aromatherapy. I find that when I burn my candle in my
bathroom in the morning and before bedtime that it's very relaxing due to
this type of aromatherapy oil. You can buy aromatherapy oils at any decent
health-foods store for about $10 per ounce or check on-line for even lower
prices. Enjoy!

--
"If we don't study the mistakes of the past, then we are condemned to repeat
them".