HoloMuck VR Gathering every Wednesday 8 PM EDT

Paul A. Estin

Jun 28, 1992, 10:53:00 PM6/28/92
Snark unrolls and posts a flier, after OK'ing it with Mike at the bar.
It reads:

Hi all Callahanians on HoloMuck!
I wish to start holding weekly gatherings, at regularly scheduled times,
when people can get together and chat, and also be encouraged to
explore parts of the world on HoloMuck.
The first such Online Gathering will be Wednesday, July 1st, at 8 PM,
in Callahan's Bar at 400 West Main Street.
Future weekly gatherings (at the same Wednesday 8PM time, unless there is
vast agreement on a better time) will be held in different locations.
(The location of the next gathering will be posted around in the center,
in Callahan's, and other places around town.)
If you have a house and yards built, what better way to show it off?
'mail Snark' if you wish to host a gathering... all you have to do is
show up and clean up the mess afterwards (which is easy in VR).
Hope to see you all there!

Snark steps back. "For those of you *not* on HoloMuck, this is yet
another invitation to join us. Just 'telnet 132.206.3.32 5757' to
link in (or use a server). You can connect as a 'guest', but if you
plan to stay (and avoid confusion at the Wednesday night gatherings!),
you should get a character by sending email to 'ik0...@maine.caps.maine.edu'.
Otherwise, the overload of 'guest' characters at the VR gathering will
be confusing and potentially Muck-crashing!"

-----
"Usenet is the world's biggest gathering around a water cooler."
-- Chip Salzenberg <ch...@tct.com>

Paul Andrew Estin, net.Snark, r.a.c Welcome Poster, HoloMuck Chancellor,
Fellow of the Clementine Society, UCSFC First Consul/ Keeper of the Slinky
HEART: es...@midway.uchicago.edu 1211 E 54th St #2 Chicago IL 60615 312-684-5501
HOME/ es...@csmil.umich.edu 214 Beakes St. Ann Arbor, MI 48104 313-769-4826
WORK: es...@um.cc.umich.edu 330 Packard Rd. 48104 313-763-5710

David Mar

Jun 29, 1992, 4:13:40 AM6/29/92
> [Snark on HoloMUCK gatherings:]

>Future weekly gatherings (at the same Wednesday 8PM time, unless there is
> vast agreement on a better time) will be held in different locations.

Danger Mouse uses his handy "world time program" to work out the time
differences....

"Hmmm, 10am Thursdays, Australian Eastern Time. Sounds good, but I will
probably have to miss out this week. I think Shonias will have to as well,
since she will be observing at the telescope, and is likely to be fast
asleep then. Also, we're both away in Canberra for a conference next week.
Argh... busy, busy, busy...."

- Danger Mouse.

Aaron Humphrey

Jun 29, 1992, 12:25:57 PM6/29/92

:
: Hi all Callahanians on HoloMuck!
: I wish to start holding weekly gatherings, at regularly scheduled times,
: when people can get together and chat, and also be encouraged to
: explore parts of the world on HoloMuck.
: The first such Online Gathering will be Wednesday, July 1st, at 8 PM,
: in Callahan's Bar at 400 West Main Street.
: Future weekly gatherings (at the same Wednesday 8PM time, unless there is
: vast agreement on a better time) will be held in different locations.
: (The location of the next gathering will be posted around in the center,
: in Callahan's, and other places around town.)
: If you have a house and yards built, what better way to show it off?
: 'mail Snark' if you wish to host a gathering... all you have to do is
: show up and clean up the mess afterwards (which is easy in VR).
: Hope to see you all there!

Alfvaen acks. "Well, July 1st is out for me...I mean, it's not only Canada
Day, the 125th birthday this year, and a big fooforah...but my wife's parents
are celebrating their 25th anniversay. (They actually got married on the
3rd, but they're celebrating on the holiday.)

"What 8 PM do you mean? What time zone are we talkin' here? If it's Eastern
Time, I think that works out to 6:00 here...suppertime! I'd have to arrive
fashionably late, or something.

"However, I'd be happy to host one in my house, sometime. There must be a
reason why I built 20-some rooms! All I'd need to do is finish up my hot tub
et al...."

--
---Alfvaen(a.k.a. Aaron V. Humphrey)
Canadian Network For Space Research, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Paul A. Estin

Jun 29, 1992, 4:00:55 PM6/29/92
To clarify a few points people have asked here and on e-mail:

Note the subject includes 'every Wednesday 8 PM EDT'.

'Every Wednesday' means that, if July 1st is bad for you, hopefully
you can stop in at another one!

'EDT' is, of course, Eastern Daylight Time; that is, 8 PM in Michigan
where I am (ignore the man behind the 'uchicago' curtain) as well as
in Montreal, New York, etc. That works out to 7 PM Central, 6 PM
Mountain, 5 PM Pacific, and, assuming DM is right, 10 AM Thursday in
Eastern Australia.

BUT-- by all means, the '8 PM' simply refers to when *I'll* be there.
Feel free to drop by whenever is convenient!

Alfvaen:

>"However, I'd be happy to host one in my house, sometime. There must be a
>reason why I built 20-some rooms! All I'd need to do is finish up my hot tub
>et al...."

Sounds good... would you like to host the July 8th one? Let me know
via mail on Holo.

Shonias

Jul 1, 1992, 1:31:45 AM7/1/92

>'EDT' is, of course, Eastern Daylight Time; that is, 8 PM in Michigan
>where I am (ignore the man behind the 'uchicago' curtain) as well as
>in Montreal, New York, etc. That works out to 7 PM Central, 6 PM
>Mountain, 5 PM Pacific, and, assuming DM is right, 10 AM Thursday in
>Eastern Australia.

"Ummm, if that's 8 pm in Montreal, then I think that makes it noon
in Sydney, I don't have any fancy time calculators, I base it on my
discussions with Didi..."

Shonias

--
***************************
We are magic in the night,

David Mar

Jul 1, 1992, 3:49:34 AM7/1/92
> [Shonias:]

>"Ummm, if that's 8 pm in Montreal, then I think that makes it noon
>in Sydney, I don't have any fancy time calculators, I base it on my
>discussions with Didi..."

Danger Mouse checks his program again...

"Don't tell me I got the Daylight Savings correction wrong..."

After a couple of minutes he looks up again. "Nope, I got it right. For
winter, of course. When it's summer (in the southern hemisphere, you
nordicentric people!! :-) ) then Shonias' reckoning is correct. But since
it's now winter, my calculation stands."

DM waves at Shonias - virtually, since she is at the telescope at the moment.
"How's the observing going so far?"

- Danger Mouse.

Mike Whitaker

Jun 30, 1992, 2:18:11 PM6/30/92
>"Hmmm, 10am Thursdays, Australian Eastern Time. Sounds good, but I will
>probably have to miss out this week. I think Shonias will have to as well,
>since she will be observing at the telescope, and is likely to be fast
>asleep then. Also, we're both away in Canberra for a conference next week.
>Argh... busy, busy, busy....

The Bard sighs.
"4 am in England. Not that we have Internet yet here - but we will....."
--
"Bard's just *know* things" - Me to the Grey Lady, in a rash moment
E-mail to: mi...@mdcbbs.com, mwhi...@cix.compulink.co.uk or ba...@spuddy.uucp

The Didi-Sprite

Jul 1, 1992, 3:12:23 PM7/1/92

----<--<@

The Didi-Sprite looks up from munching on a nice tender piece of
corn on the cob ... we are still in the meadown, I hope ...

"Danger Mouse has it right! If it is 8:00 p.m. here ... it is
10:00 a.m. in Sydney Aus. on the following day! We are presently
14 hours apart! Come on DM ... another piece of corn?"

----<--<@

The Didi-Sprite
Montreal * Canada

bra...@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca

Jim M. Pierce

Jul 4, 1992, 2:41:55 AM7/4/92

"Winter for you DM, its summer for those of us on Daylight Savings
Time. We have DS from Spring to Fall. Thats the little ditty that goes
'Spring forward, Fall back.' Move the clock ahead one hour in the
spring and one hour back in the Fall. The Spring forward here in the
US, and Fall back in the US. Unless you have the 'delight' of Daylight
savings also ??" NickD.
--
pie...@navo.navy.mil Jim Pierce Bach. of Sci. in Applied Comp. Sci.
jmpierce%usmcp6...@vm.tcs.tulane.edu <- guaranteed there Wed. only !

Jim M. Pierce

Jul 4, 1992, 3:11:16 AM7/4/92
In article <1992Jul1.1...@cs.mcgill.ca>, bra...@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca (The Didi-Sprite) writes:
|> The Didi-Sprite looks up from munching on a nice tender piece of
|> corn on the cob ... we are still in the meadown, I hope ...
|>
|> ----<--<@

"Yes, I'm here in the meadow ! Corn on the cob ! Delicious !" NickD.

David Mar

Jul 4, 1992, 11:11:37 PM7/4/92
> [NickD:] Unless you have the 'delight' of Daylight savings also ??"

Danger Mouse nods. "Yep, we have daylight savings too. In most states, that
is. Western Australia doesn't have it, and I'm not sure of the current
status of Queensland. They seem to change their minds on it every year."

- Danger Mouse.

Speaker-to-Minerals

Jul 4, 1992, 4:20:04 PM7/4/92
In article <1992Jul4.0...@cs.tulane.edu>, pie...@spop.navo.navy.mil (Jim M. Pierce) writes:

>|> Danger Mouse checks his program again...
>|>
>|> "Don't tell me I got the Daylight Savings correction wrong..."
>|>
>|> After a couple of minutes he looks up again. "Nope, I got it right. For
>|> winter, of course. When it's summer (in the southern hemisphere, you
>|> nordicentric people!! :-) ) then Shonias' reckoning is correct. But since
>|> it's now winter, my calculation stands."
>|>
>|> DM waves at Shonias - virtually, since she is at the telescope at the moment.
>|> "How's the observing going so far?"
>|>
>|> - Danger Mouse.
>
> "Winter for you DM, its summer for those of us on Daylight Savings
> Time. We have DS from Spring to Fall. Thats the little ditty that goes
> 'Spring forward, Fall back.' Move the clock ahead one hour in the
> spring and one hour back in the Fall. The Spring forward here in the
> US, and Fall back in the US. Unless you have the 'delight' of Daylight
> savings also ??" NickD.

Well, since Shonias' computation (done for winter in the north, summer in the
south) differed from DM's (done for summer in the north, winter in the south)
by two hours, I'd say that's pretty good evidence that they DO have daylight
savings time in Oz.