Question for Fax

Denaldo

Mar 29, 2002, 10:20:39 PM3/29/02
Or Jerry, the other ink stained wretch, if he is lurking.
I just noticed something the other day. I never see the little
column fillers anymore. You know, little facts and figures to
make up that last 1/8 inch of column space. Like "the major export
of Leichtenstein is third rate skiers" or "the aardvark has a 36
inch tongue". Have these all gone the way of steam trains and
slide rules with the new computerized way of printing papers?

--
"It's all fun and games until someone loses a tooth.
THEN IT'S HOCKEY!" chrissy the bar maid's T shirt.

Fax Paladin

Mar 30, 2002, 9:13:04 PM3/30/02
Denaldo wrote:

> Or Jerry, the other ink stained wretch, if he is lurking.
> I just noticed something the other day. I never see the little
> column fillers anymore. You know, little facts and figures to
> make up that last 1/8 inch of column space. Like "the major export
> of Leichtenstein is third rate skiers" or "the aardvark has a 36
> inch tongue". Have these all gone the way of steam trains and
> slide rules with the new computerized way of printing papers?

Pretty much. With the computer you can stretch the copy a bit to fit the
space. Where that's not feasible we often use house ads ("Laugh out loud
at Dave Barry -- Sundays in Brazos Living"). The type is larger and
different than body type, so you don't have room for too much; if it's a
column by 2 picas, it's usually just "wacotrib.com".

We do have a column on the daily Brazos Living (features) front called
"Snippets"; lately a lot of the kind of stuff you're talking about has
been running there.

Fax

> --
> "It's all fun and games until someone loses a tooth.
> THEN IT'S HOCKEY!" chrissy the bar maid's T shirt.
> http://users2.ev1.net/~dennisdillow/

--
a"} HAVE PUN, WILL TRAVEL |jwa@play -- NEW HOME
/_\ Fax Paladin, Waco |http://home.swbell.net/jwabbott