A Pawned Pond

1 view

David Harden

Jul 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/20/97

In <33ceac7...@news.cyberhighway.net>, jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John
Vinson) wrote:
<snip>

: Pawned Pond
: Dawn Don
: Fawned Fond
: Lawn Lon

"Hmmm.... These are slightly different, though I'm not sure if most
people would notice in normal, everyday speech. The vowel sound in
the first list is held a hair longer, and sounds a bit like 'awn'. For
the words in the other list, it's more like 'ahn'."

: Bought Bot
: Caught Cot

"These are the same (or at least indistinguishable).

"I grew up in far northern Kentucky (part of metro Cincinnati), but
started picking up Louisville pronunciations after being here less
than a month (and I've been here 10 years), so don't really know
what's prevailed wrt these sounds."

: "BOYC for each response!"

"Thanks. I could use some brainfuel around now."

[posted and emailed]
--
Please cc any replies to my email address, as IgLou's
newsfeed occasionally gets routed through the Sea of Holes.

Bill Longley

Jul 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/20/97

NightStalker <sapp...@pdnt.com> wrote

>jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John Vinson) wrote:
>>Pawned Pond
>>Dawn Don
>>Fawned Fond
>>Lawn Lon
>>Bought Bot
>>Caught Cot

<Some Tab characters snipped!>

>Different for every one. The first list has a longer....drawl for
>lack of a better word. The aw is longer and blows softly because of
>the w.
>
>The ough is the same.

This "ough", yes: but try:
Lough
Cough
Bough
Tough
Rough
and I get three more variations....

>The second list is short and clipped.
>
>And I grew up in the hearland of Illinois. :)
^^^^
Best Freudian slip I've seen for ages!

--
Bill (Bill_L...@callahans.demon.co.uk)
"Be yourself. Nobody else would take the job."

Bill Longley

Jul 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/20/97

Bill Gawne <ga...@eta.pha.jhu.edu> wrote
>>"The words:
>>
>>Pawned Pond DIFFERENT
>>Dawn Don DIFFERENT
>>Fawned Fond DIFFERENT
>>Lawn Loan DIFFERENT
>>Bought Bot DIFFERENT
>>Caught Cot DIFFERENT
<snip>
>Bill Gawne, in Callahan's as in real life.

Thank God! (Or Gawd if you prefer...) I think I actually do
pronounce "Gawne" the same way as the owner of the name...

[posted and emailed]

bg...@andrew.cmu.edu

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

--On Friday, July 18, 1997, 6:07 PM -0600 "Doug Jones" <ran...@eau.net>
wrote:
My ex was in the habit of doing this. She claimed it was a New Jersey
thing.

Of course, most folks pick up _some_ sort of regionalisms in their youth.
Some of us try _very_ hard to remove such things from our lexical patterns.
I've managed to get rid of most of them, I think.

My wife has tried very hard, asl well. she still talks about samiches,
though:-)

Anam, who tries very hard NOT to sound like a Pittsburgher. I don't believe
in still mills. they made STEEL here, not distilling apparatus.

> Kayre wrote:
>
>> Also, where I grew up the older generation inserts an "r" into "wash",
>> "Washington" and related words, i.e. "worsh". That one seems to be
dying
>> out, though, no one my age does it as far as I know.
>
> A guy I used to worrrk with has this habit- and he's only 38.
>
> --
> Doug Jones ran...@eau.net
> If they call it tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Dane R. Anderson

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

John Vinson wrote:

> "Could patrons please do me a small favor? Pronounce the following
> two lists of words; if you say them as homonyms - with the same or
> indistinguishable vowel - send me an EMail saying "SAME"; if they are
> different, send Email saying "DIFFERENT". In either case, please tell
> me where you lived from, say, age 2 to 6 (I'm trying to identify
> regional accents)."

Same, Junction City Oregon (Willamet Valley of Oregon).
--
"If wisdom were money, I would be destitute."
Dane Anderson.

Anne Gwin

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970721112611.28204F-100000@kestrel>, "Bill (no,
that other one) Bradley" <wbra...@sedona.intel.com> wrote:

> (For a "schwa", think of the 'a' in "father".)

Ahem. For a schwa, think of the E in father.

Anne
sorry, can't help it...

--
Machine shared by Anne Gwin (ag...@mail.utexas.edu) and Nyarlathotep
(nyarla...@mail.utexas.edu). Sometimes we forget to change the

"The little engine that could, did."--Rob Manning, Mars Pathfinder flight director, 7/4/97.

<Discussing an image of a black rectangle silhouetted against the Martian landscape> "That is the top of the calibration target, that is _not_ in fact a monolith."--NASA TV commentator, 7/5/97

Sanford E. Walke IV

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

David Harden (dha...@iglou.com) wrote:
>In <33ceac7...@news.cyberhighway.net>, jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John
>Vinson) wrote:
><snip>

>: Pawned Pond

>: Dawn Don
>: Fawned Fond
>: Lawn Lon

>"Hmmm.... These are slightly different, though I'm not sure if most

>people would notice in normal, everyday speech. The vowel sound in
>the first list is held a hair longer, and sounds a bit like 'awn'. For
>the words in the other list, it's more like 'ahn'."

Interesting. If it's not noticable, how do you tell them apart?

For me, they're *very* different.

--
Sandy se...@izzy.net
Honesty is paramount to me. Lying to me to avoid hurting me never works.

Eric The Read

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

agwin.the....@mail.utexas.edu (Anne Gwin) writes:

> In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970721112611.28204F-100000@kestrel>, "Bill (no,
> that other one) Bradley" <wbra...@sedona.intel.com> wrote:
>
> > (For a "schwa", think of the 'a' in "father".)
> >

> Ahem. For a schwa, think of the E in father.

"Well, if you want to get downright pedantic about it," Eric pipes up,
"linguists have determined that just about any unstressed vowel sound in
the English language is a schwa. So, depending on how you pronounce
`father,' the `a' might very well be a schwa."

-=Eric, who's not sure how to pronounce `father' without stressing the
`a,' but is sure it's possible. Finagle always wins.

Caragh Murphy

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

mi...@mem.bellsouth.net (Uncle Misha) wrote:

>jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John Vinson) wrote:

>>"The words:

>>Pawned Pond
>>Dawn Don
>>Fawned Fond
>>Lawn Lon

>>Bought Bot
>>Caught Cot

>>"BOYC for each response!"

>I pronounce each pair differently... the basic difference seems to
>*me* to be an "aw" sound in the first column, as opposed to an "ah"
>sound in the second column. Caragh was quite clearly able to tell a
>difference listening to me say them aloud, and her accent is
>*radically* different from mine, as anybody who made it to the Con can
>tell you <grin>.

"He does say them differently, yes, but the reason I was having him
pronounce them in the first place was so that I could try and figure
out how they might possibly sound teh *same*... which I think I
have... doesn't anybody notice there's an *o* in the second set of
words???"

Caragh, still struggling with accents...

Slywlf

Jul 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/22/97

In article <33ceac7...@news.cyberhighway.net>,
jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John Vinson) writes:

>"The words:
>
>Pawned Pond
>Dawn Don
>Fawned Fond
>Lawn Lon
>Bought Bot
>Caught Cot
>
>"BOYC for each response!"

Well, though raised in NYC, I learned all my speech patterns from
my mid-western raised Mom, so to me, none of the above sound
alike - just somewhat similar. In each case I hear the first as an
"AW" sound, the second as ann "AH" sound, if that is any help.
Make mine a Lion's Mane (recipe available on request - Mike knows it).
Thanks!

Clare Jacqueline West

Jul 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/22/97

Kiwi...@aol.com (Caragh Murphy) writes:

> "He does say them differently, yes, but the reason I was having him
> pronounce them in the first place was so that I could try and figure
> out how they might possibly sound teh *same*... which I think I
> have... doesn't anybody notice there's an *o* in the second set of
> words???"

Yeh, took me a while too, Caragh. They sound so different to me. But
vowels are the things that move around the most.

clare
--
Clare West s.k.a. Eleyne of Comnocke (was Alianor nic Lawemund)
cl...@cs.auckland.ac.nz http://clare.cs.auckland.ac.nz/

Bill (no, that other one) Bradley

Jul 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/22/97
to k...@shell1.cybercom.net

(posted & emailed)

On 22 Jul 1997 k...@shell1.cybercom.net wrote:

> She grins. "Oh, you should also bear in mind that I study singing, and
> therefore probably pay more attention to subtle differences in
> pronunciation than some. Things that *feel* different when I say them
> may not *sound* different to someone listening. Also, my pronunciations
> change quite a bit when I'm singing. For example, in casual speech
> I don't distinguish between "merry" and "marry," but I do when I sing
> them."

Bill (no, that other one) chimes in. "As someone who has studied singing,
albeit only informally, I agree. As a singer, you have to work very hard
to produce clears vowels and crisp consonants; that gives a better idea of
how to produce those sounds to begin with.

"Unfortunately, there's not much carry-over from singing to talking.
Quite a few people have very different singing and speaking voices. Heck,
look at Jim Nabors, for example. I don't know if singing involves a
different set of neural pathways or what, but I think it's kind of neat."

Cheers,
Bill (no, that singing one)

Bill (OtherBill) Bradley | "There's nothing in the human heart or mind, no
wbra...@sedona.intel.com | place no matter how sick or twisted, that can't
I'm not an Intel spokesman +---- O- ----+ be endured -- if you have someone
http://kestrel.scs.uiuc.edu/~wbradley/ | to share it with." Spider (1977)

Eric the Read

Jul 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/22/97

> jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John Vinson) wrote:
>
>"The words:
>
>Pawned Pond
>Dawn Don
>Fawned Fond
>Lawn Lon
>Bought Bot
>Caught Cot

"All sound the same to me, unless I pronounce them differently. I think
my upbringing had a lot to do with this, however: I was born in Memphis,
TN, and had lived in Arkansas, a small town in eastern Tennessee, the
Netherlands, a big city (well, for me it was big-- Knoxville, if anyone
cares) in East Tennessee, and Colorado, by the time I was 13. The
blending of dialects has left me without one of my own, and a very
`American Standard' accent, although I can do a West Kentucky hick with
no problem at all, since most of my family is from that region."

Eric ponders the other responses to this thread. "Surely I can't be the
only one? I mean, I *can* pronounce them differently, but when I'm just
talking casually, I can't tell the difference in sound."

-=Eric

Anna Pope

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

Oh yeah, and btw just for further experiments if you like, my husband
pronounces "pin" and "pen" exactly the same. It drives me nuts! He spent
his first 25 years about 1.5 hours east of San Francisco.

cheers,
maenad

--
***>> anna pope <<***>> renaissance maenad <<***

Anna Pope

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

John Vinson (jvi...@cyberhighway.net) wrote:
: "If you pronounce some of the words the same and some different, let
: me know that too!"

(maenad talks to herself briefly...)

all different. not _hugely_, but noticeably. between 2 and 6 I lived in
both Vermont and North Carolina *grin* which I suppose _could_ have had
an effect on my pronunciation, but I believe my dialect is more like my
parents', who were both born and raised in Michigan.

Mark A Mandel

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

Bill (no, that other one) Bradley (wbra...@sedona.intel.com) wrote:

: > I pronounce each pair differently... the basic difference seems to

: > *me* to be an "aw" sound in the first column, as opposed to an "ah"

: > sound in the second column...

Dr. Whom looks up sharply. "Unfortunately, those who merge the two
low-back vowels will not understand what you mean by 'aw', as something
different from 'ah'. For their information, the 'aw' has the lips rounded,
while the 'ah' does not."

: Bill (no, that other one) nods along with Misha. "Me, too. It seems that
: what you're asking is if people pronounce the "schwa" (upside-down 'e')
: and the "short o" sounds differently. Personally, I do, in the same way
: that Misha explained. Of course, that varies from region to region."

: (For a "schwa", think of the 'a' in "father".)

"CORRECTION!! The vowel sound called 'schwa' and written with an
upside-down 'e' is NOT the 'a' in 'father', but the 'a' in 'sofa' or
'about'. And 'short o' is not a clear way of referring to a sound, since
to most Americans (I believe) the 'short o' of 'hot' has the SAME sound as
the the 'broad a' of 'father'."

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
Philological Busybody

Rick Davis

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

On 23 Jul 1997 03:08:52 GMT, mae...@ais.net (Anna Pope) wrote:

>Oh yeah, and btw just for further experiments if you like, my husband
>pronounces "pin" and "pen" exactly the same. It drives me nuts! He spent
>his first 25 years about 1.5 hours east of San Francisco.

I pronounce those two differently, but my wife (from the mountains of
WV) pronounces them the same, so much so that she says "ink pen" to
differentiate the writing instrument.

--
Rick Davis

To respond by e-mail, please add a "t" to the end of my address.

Rick Davis

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

On 22 Jul 1997 09:57:38 -0600, "Eric the Read" <emsc...@mail.uccs.edu>
wrote:

>Eric ponders the other responses to this thread. "Surely I can't be the
>only one? I mean, I *can* pronounce them differently, but when I'm just
>talking casually, I can't tell the difference in sound."

Same here. I -can- pronounce them differently, but I have to force
myself. Saying them naturally in a sentence makes them sound alike.

When I moved back to WV after spending four years in SC the two little
boys next door used to come over and say, "Talk for us!" Seems I'd
picked up a southern accent that they found hilarious. ;-)

Janet D. Miles

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

Posted and emailed.

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:45:09 GMT, in alt.callahans
jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John Vinson) wrote:

>Pawned Pond
Different (my mouth is "rounder" for pawned and "flatter"
for pond, and the "aw" takes longer to say than the "o")

>Dawn Don
Different (same difference, but Don is closer to Dawn than
Pond is to Pawned)

>Fawned Fond
Different (same difference)

>Lawn Lon
Different (same difference)

>Bought Bot
Different (almost the same difference, but "bot" doesn't
quite rhyme with "don" -- it's a bit ?flatter?)

>Caught Cot
Different (same difference)

Grew up in Phoenix, AZ, USA. Mother from Brooklyn, Father
from Niagara Falls. Babysitters (probably would now be
called Nannies) from the Papago Indian (now Toho'no-o-otam
or Toho'no 'O'odham) reservation. Studied Spanish and
Hebrew before age 10, if that makes any difference. My
folks swear that when I was learning to talk I had a
southern drawl, though where I could have gotten it is
beyond me.

I'll have a Bailey's and cream, please.
--
Posted by Janet Miles <jmi...@usit.net>; copy cc:d to poster
Please copy me if you follow up to this post. Thanks.

dreiss

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

> jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John Vinson) wrote:
>
>"The words:
>
>Pawned Pond
>Dawn Don
>Fawned Fond
>Lawn Lon
>Bought Bot
>Caught Cot

All sound different. On the other hand, I've picked up
certain accents and mannerisms from every place I've lived, which
so far includes: Manhatten, Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island, Upstate
NY, Pittsburgh, Arkansas (Pine Bluff), Chicago, and California (San
Jose).

I still pronounce 'drawer' as 'draw' and 'library' as 'libry' (Both New
Yorkisms). Roads aren't slippery...They are 'slippy' and
things don't need to be done...They 'needs done' (Pittsburghisms). Etc,
etc.

I tend to pick up the Arkansas 'drawl' when on the phone or when
talking to authority figures; Don't know why, really.

When I'm sort irritable, I have a tendency to speak fast and
more 'New York/Brooklyn'. When I'm *really* angry, I speak slower and
more carefully, as well as losing almost all emotional inflection.

Hmmm. It occurs to me that when I'm depressed, I slip into
a cross between a Long Island and Queens/Manhatten accent. In that
state, the above words *do* sound awfully similar.

Jeff Orth

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

Anna Pope <mae...@ais.net> wrote in article <5r3sk4$4eb$2...@news3.ais.net>...

> Oh yeah, and btw just for further experiments if you like, my husband
> pronounces "pin" and "pen" exactly the same. It drives me nuts! He spent
> his first 25 years about 1.5 hours east of San Francisco.

My Ex-wife used to pronounce colour, the same as collar.

Of course, we are no longer married. (It was either that or the fact she
would buy generic peanut butter).

Pulsifer

Kent/Kat/Jen

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

Uncle Misha wrote:

> jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John Vinson) wrote:
>
> >"Could patrons please do me a small favor? Pronounce the following
> >two lists of words; if you say them as homonyms - with the same or
> >indistinguishable vowel - send me an EMail saying "SAME"; if they are
> >different, send Email saying "DIFFERENT". In either case, please tell
> >me where you lived from, say, age 2 to 6 (I'm trying to identify
> >regional accents)."
>
> >"If you pronounce some of the words the same and some different, let
> >me know that too!"
>
> >"The words:
>
> >Pawned Pond
> >Dawn Don
> >Fawned Fond
> >Lawn Lon
> >Bought Bot
> >Caught Cot
>
> >"BOYC for each response!"

Hmmm, I pronouce each differently. The first set are near the front of
the mouth and the second set near the back of the mouth. From birth to
age 9 I lived in Nashville; Washington, DC; Henderson, TN (while my
father was stationed in Iceland); Norfolk, VA & Pensacola, FL. I have
lived in or around Nashville, TN since that time. Most people who have
commented consider my accent to be Californian. Part of it is due to
having been a Navy brat...part is due to my mother and grandmother who
were both English majors with a tendency to say, "Excuse me? I don't
believe that I understood what you said. Please try again." Goddess
forbid one should say the word "ain't" in their presence! Hint...it
only happened twice!

Kat

Kent/Kat/Jen

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

Jeff Orth wrote:
> My Ex-wife used to pronounce colour, the same as collar.
>
> Of course, we are no longer married. (It was either that or the fact she
> would buy generic peanut butter).
>
> Pulsifer

Kat grins, "One of the things that made me know my husband was The One
(other than the fact that he read before going to sleep) was that I
mentioned peanut butter and he asked if I had *real* peanut butter (ie
Peter Pan) or some of that *imitation* stuff!"

Kat

Debra Eisert

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

No, Eric, you are not the only one. I responded privately that I can
hear no
difference in my native pronunciation. I will also say that I left Ohio
for a
decade or so for upstate NY. In that time, my pronunciation has been
totally
warped. I don't sound like my family, my adopted state, or my current

residence.

Eric the Read wrote:

> > jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John Vinson) wrote:
> >
> >"The words:
> >
> >Pawned Pond
> >Dawn Don
> >Fawned Fond
> >Lawn Lon
> >Bought Bot
> >Caught Cot
>

> "All sound the same to me, unless I pronounce them differently. I
> think
> my upbringing had a lot to do with this, however: I was born in
> Memphis,
> TN, and had lived in Arkansas, a small town in eastern Tennessee, the
> Netherlands, a big city (well, for me it was big-- Knoxville, if
> anyone
> cares) in East Tennessee, and Colorado, by the time I was 13. The
> blending of dialects has left me without one of my own, and a very
> `American Standard' accent, although I can do a West Kentucky hick
> with
> no problem at all, since most of my family is from that region."
>

> Eric ponders the other responses to this thread. "Surely I can't be
> the
> only one? I mean, I *can* pronounce them differently, but when I'm
> just
> talking casually, I can't tell the difference in sound."
>

> -=Eric

John Vinson

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:45:09 GMT, jvi...@cyberhighway.net (John
Vinson) wrote:

>"Could patrons please do me a small favor? Pronounce the following
>two lists of words; if you say them as homonyms - with the same or
>indistinguishable vowel - send me an EMail saying "SAME"; if they are
>different, send Email saying "DIFFERENT". In either case, please tell
>me where you lived from, say, age 2 to 6 (I'm trying to identify
>regional accents)."
>
>"If you pronounce some of the words the same and some different, let
>me know that too!"
>
>"The words:
>
>Pawned Pond
>Dawn Don
>Fawned Fond
>Lawn Lon
>Bought Bot
>Caught Cot
>
>"BOYC for each response!"

John the Wysard approaches the bar and carefully counts out forty-four
one dollar bills, followed by six dollars in change, some of it
covered with couch cushion lint; those gifted with Vision can see the
ghost of an angry piggy bank hovering over his left shoulder. He
hands the barkeep a printout from his Access database listing fifty
names of generous Patrons [1].

"Thanks to all of you who replied; it was a most interesting exercise.
The results:

Different - /aw/ and /ah/ sound - 32 people
Mixed - some words the same, some different - 5 people
Same - 13 people

The only geographic consistancy was that those who grew up in
countries other than the United States (England, South Africa,
Australia, New Zealand) all pronounced the words differently.
Americans from the Southwest - California, Arizona, New Mexico, and
(stretching the definition) Colorado - *mostly* pronounced them the
same, though there were two from that area who pronounced it
differently."

"Anne Gwin has posted a comment that this vowel distinction seems to
be evolving out of the language, just as the /hw/ sound seems to be
vanishing into /w/; to which my only response is, 'wat do you mean?
wen did this start to happen, and wy?'"

John then stands, folds his hands cermoniously, and recites:

"I rise from bed at early dawn,
And sleepily my clothes I don.
I think of forty winks I've caught
Lying peacefully on my cot.
My dreams indeed were rather naughty,
and hence my sheets are now all knotty.
But now no more my rhymes I'll flaunt
For fear that I might give affront!"

Jim M. Pierce

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

Rick Davis wrote:
[] I pronounce those two differently, but my wife (from the mountains of

[] WV) pronounces them the same, so much so that she says "ink pen" to
[] differentiate the writing instrument.

I just usually say 'ball point' ...

Linda the Starship, "Your ink pen has s[mumph]"

hush.

DJ.
--
Jim jmpi...@medea.gp.usm.edu Disclaimer: Standard.
Book: War with the Newts

Rick Davis

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:33:23 -0700, Gesi Rovario
<sammi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rick Davis wrote:
>> YES!!!
>> There is no Peanut Butter but Peter Pan!
>>
>> Now, anybody got any decent apple butter?
>>
>Apple butter's easy. Does anyone have any decent apple JELLY? Whenever I
>see apple jelly in a store, I buy three or four jars, cause I know I
>won't see it for at least six months. <sigh> :}

True. I've given up on apple jelly. I don't think I've found any
-good- apple jelly since my mom quit making it.

Kent/Kat/Jen

Jul 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/27/97

Rick Davis wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:33:23 -0700, Gesi Rovario
> <sammi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Rick Davis wrote:
> >> YES!!!
> >> There is no Peanut Butter but Peter Pan!
> >>
> >> Now, anybody got any decent apple butter?
> >>
> >Apple butter's easy. Does anyone have any decent apple JELLY? Whenever I
> >see apple jelly in a store, I buy three or four jars, cause I know I
> >won't see it for at least six months. <sigh> :}
>
> True. I've given up on apple jelly. I don't think I've found any
> -good- apple jelly since my mom quit making it.

There's a place called Wheeler's Orchard in east Tennessee that makes an
excellent apple jelly but I can't find the address since we ate up all
the garlic jelly & guava jelly and someone tossed the jars.

Kat

Gesi

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Exactly what do you eat Garlic Jelly with? It can't be good on a pb&j,
can it?

Gesi

Jane Walter

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Kent/Kat/Jen wrote:
> There's a place called Wheeler's Orchard in east Tennessee that makes an
> excellent apple jelly but I can't find the address since we ate up all
> the garlic jelly & guava jelly and someone tossed the jars.
>
> Kat

BigBook gives this address:

Wheeler's Orchard
Hc 65 Box 78
Dunlap, TN
(423) 949-4255

(Sorry, it didn't list the zip code.)

--Jane

Doug Jones

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Gesi wrote:

> Kent/Kat/Jen wrote:

> > Rick Davis wrote:
> > There's a place called Wheeler's Orchard in east Tennessee that makes an
> > excellent apple jelly but I can't find the address since we ate up all
> > the garlic jelly & guava jelly and someone tossed the jars.
> >
> > Kat
>
> Exactly what do you eat Garlic Jelly with? It can't be good on a pb&j,
> can it?

Lasagne.

--
Doug Jones ran...@eau.net
If they call it tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

LadyCheron

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

In article <33D9A8...@hotmail.com>, Gesi Rovario
<sammi...@hotmail.com> writes:

>> Now, anybody got any decent apple butter?
>>
>Apple butter's easy. Does anyone have any decent apple JELLY? Whenever I
>see apple jelly in a store, I buy three or four jars, cause I know I
>won't see it for at least six months. <sigh> :}

Lady Cheron looks at the cupboards. Both apple butter and apple jelly,
as well as "grapple" (grape-apple) jelly are sitting in little mason jars
on
the top shelf. "It's not that difficult to make, really. My mom even has

a recipt for apple jelly that starts with frozen apple juice concentrate.

"I've never noticed a lack of apple jelly in the stores, but then, I don't
buy much jelly. Is it really that hard to find?"
Lady Cheron -- Keeper of the Birthday List for alt.callahans.
Please send all e-mail to me at lady at shentel.net
alt.callahans web page: http://www.callahans.org (McQ)

John Palmer

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

On 25 Jul 1997 19:43:49 -0700, rdd...@rica.ne (Rick Davis) wrote:

>YES!!!
>There is no Peanut Butter but Peter Pan!
>

>Now, anybody got any decent apple butter?

In the interests of non-snottiness, I'll be willing to try this,
but Jif has always been tops for me.

Lisa Reeves

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

>>Apple butter's easy. Does anyone have any decent apple JELLY? Whenever I
>>see apple jelly in a store, I buy three or four jars, cause I know I
>>won't see it for at least six months. <sigh> :}
>
>Lady Cheron looks at the cupboards. Both apple butter and apple jelly,
>as well as "grapple" (grape-apple) jelly are sitting in little mason jars
>on
>the top shelf. "It's not that difficult to make, really. My mom even has
>
>a recipt for apple jelly that starts with frozen apple juice concentrate.

OOOoooo...would the Lady share?

Lisa Reeves @-->--->--- | ad...@detroit.freenet.org
GDFN Help Staff Administrator | ree...@pilot.msu.edu
/\/\/\Honorary Squirrel /\/\/\
**She who is two leaves short of a full salad** - Gem
Gossamer Spokesperson - Send a story - submi...@x-philes.com
Gossamer Mirror - http://www.birdfeeder.com - goss...@birdfeeder.com

Laura Rey

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

In article <19970728183...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
ladyc...@aol.com (LadyCheron) wrote:

> Lady Cheron looks at the cupboards. Both apple butter and apple jelly,
> as well as "grapple" (grape-apple) jelly are sitting in little mason jars
> on
> the top shelf. "It's not that difficult to make, really. My mom even has
>
> a recipt for apple jelly that starts with frozen apple juice concentrate.

Laura smiles. Yep...this is what I have missed in my life: The
topic looks like it should be a pun post....and I opened it and find
JELLY! *grin* What a GREAT place this is!!

So..maybe it wasn't a pun post...but rather something for
fun toast?

Laura

VINCENT BARMANN

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

: So..maybe it wasn't a pun post...but rather something for
: fun toast?

Oh, gawd, it's spreading!!

Hermit

Rick Davis

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:15:47 -0500, Jane Walter
<bjw...@SpamMeNot.interaccess.com> wrote:

>Kent/Kat/Jen wrote:
>> There's a place called Wheeler's Orchard in east Tennessee that makes an
>> excellent apple jelly but I can't find the address since we ate up all
>> the garlic jelly & guava jelly and someone tossed the jars.
>>
>> Kat

Naturally, I missed this reply. (Garlic jelly???)

>BigBook gives this address:
>
>Wheeler's Orchard
>Hc 65 Box 78
>Dunlap, TN
>(423) 949-4255
>
>(Sorry, it didn't list the zip code.)

Anybody know if this is anywhere near Memphis? (My atlas is clear
across the room. Lazy? Why do you ask?) I'll be heading down there in
October.

Kayre

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

> Lady Cheron looks at the cupboards. Both apple butter and apple jelly,
> as well as "grapple" (grape-apple) jelly are sitting in little mason
jars
> on
> the top shelf. "It's not that difficult to make, really. My mom even
has

> a recipt for apple jelly that starts with frozen apple juice
concentrate.

Barely daring to ask, Kayre whispers...
"Lady dear... how about apple-strawberry jelly?"

John Vinson

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 03:31:58 -0500, lr...@mho.net (Laura Rey) wrote:

>Laura smiles. Yep...this is what I have missed in my life: The
>topic looks like it should be a pun post....and I opened it and find
>JELLY! *grin* What a GREAT place this is!!
>

>So..maybe it wasn't a pun post...but rather something for
>fun toast?

John the Wysard grins at the sight of his old friend RevRey returning
to the Place, and gives her a big <HUG>.

"No, it was a little experiment to see how people from different
places pronounce the vowels in Pawned (lawn, bought, ...) and Pond
(Lon, bot...) Some people - the majority of respondents - pronounce
them differently, but a substantial minority pronounce them the same.
Seems the language is evolving... again!"

Kent/Kat/Jen

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Doug Jones wrote:

> Gesi wrote:
> >
> > Kent/Kat/Jen wrote:
> > >
> > > Rick Davis wrote:
> > > There's a place called Wheeler's Orchard in east Tennessee that makes an
> > > excellent apple jelly but I can't find the address since we ate up all
> > > the garlic jelly & guava jelly and someone tossed the jars.
> > >
> > > Kat
> >
> > Exactly what do you eat Garlic Jelly with? It can't be good on a pb&j,
> > can it?
>
> Lasagne.

Kat's husband suggests the following uses for garlic jelly:

"You use it on steak & hamburgers, toast, biscuits, and crackers. It
would make an excellent glaze for ham or chicken or if you are like our
daughter just straight out of the jar!"

Kent

Gesi

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Oh well, great. Now I have to be on the lookout for garlic jelly. Your
post is making my mouth water. It *must* be time for lunch <G>.

Gesi

Doug Jones

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

John Vinson wrote:

> "No, it was a little experiment to see how people from different
> places pronounce the vowels in Pawned (lawn, bought, ...) and Pond
> (Lon, bot...) Some people - the majority of respondents - pronounce
> them differently, but a substantial minority pronounce them the same.
> Seems the language is evolving... again!"

^^^^^^^^

You left out the "d" in that word....

Janet D. Miles

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Posted and emailed.

On 29 Jul 1997 04:26:50 -0700, in alt.callahans
rdd...@rica.ne (Rick Davis) wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:15:47 -0500, Jane Walter
><bjw...@SpamMeNot.interaccess.com> wrote:

>>Kent/Kat/Jen wrote:
>>> There's a place called Wheeler's Orchard in east Tennessee

>>BigBook gives this address:

>>Wheeler's Orchard
>>Hc 65 Box 78
>>Dunlap, TN
>>(423) 949-4255

>Anybody know if this is anywhere near Memphis? (My atlas is clear

>across the room. Lazy? Why do you ask?) I'll be heading down there in
>October.

Nope, sorry; with a 423 area code it's in the eastern third
of the state (Middle Tennessee is 615 and West Tennessee is
901). Memphis is about eight hours west of here. However,
*I'm* in East Tennessee, and I'm so darned intrigued that
I'll give 'em a call tomorrow, if I remember.

--
Posted by Janet Miles <jmi...@usit.net>

Bill Longley

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

LadyCheron <ladyc...@aol.com> wrote

>Lady Cheron looks at the cupboards.
>Both apple butter and apple jelly, as well as "grapple" (grape-apple)
>jelly are sitting in little mason jars on the top shelf. "It's not
>that difficult to make, really."

IIRC, the additional pectin that gets added to fruits
that don't jel well during jelly-making (assuming that I have
translated 'jelly' to 'jam' correctly) comes from apples anyway.
So presumably apples, water and sugar in the right proportions
wouldn't need anything else added.

My cookery book suggests 1lb prepared apples in 1/4 pint water
to each 1lb sugar added, but I've not tried this for fifteen years or
so. (Remember those are UK measures if you're going to try it!)

--
Bill (Bill_L...@callahans.demon.co.uk)
"Be yourself. Nobody else would take the job."

WareWolf

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

VINCENT BARMANN <s00...@alpha.wright.edu> wrote in article
<5rjo0h$p3$2...@alpha.wright.edu>...
> : So..maybe it wasn't a pun post...but rather something for
> : fun toast?
>

> Oh, gawd, it's spreading!!
>
> Hermit

Oh, boy! Let's jam on this topic for awhile! (Not like I'm trying to
butter y'all up or anything)...

Uncle Misha

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

rdd...@rica.ne (Rick Davis) wrote:

(posted and emailed)

>>Wheeler's Orchard
>>Hc 65 Box 78
>>Dunlap, TN
>>(423) 949-4255
>>

>>(Sorry, it didn't list the zip code.)

>Anybody know if this is anywhere near Memphis? (My atlas is clear

>across the room. Lazy? Why do you ask?) I'll be heading down there in
>October.

<grin> As I'm half the Memphis contingent of Callahanians, and the
only *native* Memphian here, I'll jump in with an unfortunately
negative reply. Based on the (423) area code, it's somewhere in East
Tennessee... and according to my handy-dandy Rand-McNally, it's about
20 miles north of Chattanooga, which is not really anywhere close to
Memphis, unfortunately.

I'll extend a big "Welcome to Memphis" to you, though, Rick! Drop me
an email, and we'll get together once you *do* get to town... will
this be just a visit, or a permanent move?

Uncle Misha

There are two secrets to success:

1. Never tell everything you know.

Mark A Mandel

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Doug Jones (ran...@eau.net) wrote:
: John Vinson wrote:

: > "No, it was a little experiment to see how people from different
: > places pronounce the vowels in Pawned (lawn, bought, ...) and Pond
: > (Lon, bot...) Some people - the majority of respondents - pronounce
: > them differently, but a substantial minority pronounce them the same.
: > Seems the language is evolving... again!"

Dr. Whom adds his US$0.02: "Not 'again': *still*! Language is Where The
Process Never Stops!"

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
Philological Busybody

Ben

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Lettuce say that's spreading yourself sorta thin. It does take a lot
of sand,-which says that your bread'n'butter, otherwise known as a
place for makin' bacon (as distinct from shakin' and bakin', which is
altogether a different slice of pie) leaves you time for this sort of
thing. In the main,-A's for effort, but catch-up on the general gist
of the thread, or you'll get flamed, chewed, and swallowed (and maybe
even grilled) for your trouble...

<G>

Didn't lay it on too _thick,_ did I?

___()___ Ben Okopnik
(_ (o___, Writer TechnoWizard
| | Sybarite Hedonist
| (__/ Sailor Tinker
\ / _____ Engineer
/ \ \___/ ******************************
/ ^ \ / \ For moral inflammation, send a
| | |___|_ HUNNY | safety-stressed stomped antelope
| \________)_____/ or visit
\ / http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/5011
\ /__
| ( ___) WARNING: You may be an imaginary character
(_____) in one of my stories. Beware the Red Pen.
___ _ _ ___ ___ _ _ ___ ___ __ ___
( _) ( )( ) (_ ) (_ ) ( \/ ) ( ,) ( _) ( ) ( ,)
) _) )()( / / / / \ / ) ,\ ) _) /,_\ ) \
(_) \__/ (___) (___) (__/ (___/ (___) (_)(_) (_)\_)

Rick Davis

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

On Fri, 01 Aug 1997 07:05:22 GMT, mi...@mem.bellsouth.net (Uncle Misha)
wrote:

>rdd...@rica.ne (Rick Davis) wrote:
>
>>Anybody know if this is anywhere near Memphis? (My atlas is clear
>>across the room. Lazy? Why do you ask?) I'll be heading down there in
>>October.
>
><grin> As I'm half the Memphis contingent of Callahanians, and the
>only *native* Memphian here, I'll jump in with an unfortunately
>negative reply. Based on the (423) area code, it's somewhere in East
>Tennessee... and according to my handy-dandy Rand-McNally, it's about
>20 miles north of Chattanooga, which is not really anywhere close to
>Memphis, unfortunately.

Ah, well ... I'll be going through E TN, but on I-40. Chattanooga is a
little too far out of the way for a jar of jelly. <sigh>

>I'll extend a big "Welcome to Memphis" to you, though, Rick! Drop me
>an email, and we'll get together once you *do* get to town... will
>this be just a visit, or a permanent move?

Just a visit. I've got friends there that I haven't seen in too long.
"Met" them when I was active in a BBS relay network called RIME, in a
conference called UPLINK. We had several large RS parties down there
and a few smaller ones scattered around the country. Naturally, given
the proclivities of the group, the RSs were called "Upchucks" ... <G>

I'll send you an email before we leave. So far it looks like we (the
wife and I) leaving here the morning of 10/17 and be in Memphis around 6
or 7 that evening. Don't know yet how long we'll be staying -- at least
3 days, maybe a week. Depends a lot on how long our friends can put of
with us; we'll be sleeping on their living-room floor. ;-)

--
Rick Davis rdd...@rica.net

Rick Davis

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:58:02 GMT, jpal...@ix.netcom.com (John Palmer)
wrote:

I never really cared for Jif. Which is, of course, why they make
different brands. ;-)

Peter Pan is what I grew up on, so that probably has a great deal to do
with my preference.

Besides, I could never stand the Jif commercials ...

Gawd, I could use a peanut butter and jelly sandwich right now. I'll
bet there's not a dollop of peanut butter -or- jelly in the house right
now, though ... <sigh>

Brice D. Fleckenstein

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97
to Rick Davis

> "Met" them when I was active in a BBS relay network called RIME, in a
> conference called UPLINK.

I used to be active in a few RIME confrences, almost linked MY board in
at one point (One of the Steering Committee members, Rex Hankins, is a
long-time aquaintance)....

--
Brice D. Fleckenstein

IRC: QuintLeo (or LeoOnRoad)
EMail: ci...@surf-ici.com

Dane R. Anderson

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97
It's always time for lunch, at least somewhere on the planet.
--
"If wisdom were money, I would be destitute."
Dane Anderson.

David Harden

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

In <33e7d211...@relay.rica.net>, rdd...@rica.ne (Rick Davis) wrote:
<snip>
: Is he still? RIME changed hands a while back; Bonny Anthony sold it to
: a fellow in Calif. named Don Barba. I'm cosysop of a board that
: recently rejoined RIME, but it appears to be on its last legs. Even the

David perks up on overhearing part of this conversation. "From what I
hear, part of the problem is that no new PostLink licences can be
issued. Seems like Kip Compton dropped out of sight around the time
of the transfer, but still has exclusive rights to the PostLink
software."

: POLITICS conference is almost dead. When we rejoined (after being off
: for a year or more), we initially carried -all- conferences, but over
: 50% of them had -no- traffic.

"Never had (or wanted) any part of running a board, but I used to be
more-or-less active in the Shareware and Offline Mail conferences.
Still check in from time to time, but they're practically dead."

[posted and emailed to Rick and Brice]
--
Please cc any replies to my email address, as IgLou's
newsfeed occasionally gets routed through the Sea of Holes.

Rick Davis

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

On 8 Aug 1997 02:03:03 -0000, dha...@iglou.com (David Harden) wrote:

>In <33e7d211...@relay.rica.net>, rdd...@rica.ne (Rick Davis) wrote:
><snip>
>: Is he still? RIME changed hands a while back; Bonny Anthony sold it to
>: a fellow in Calif. named Don Barba. I'm cosysop of a board that
>: recently rejoined RIME, but it appears to be on its last legs. Even the
>
>David perks up on overhearing part of this conversation. "From what I
>hear, part of the problem is that no new PostLink licences can be
>issued. Seems like Kip Compton dropped out of sight around the time
>of the transfer, but still has exclusive rights to the PostLink
>software."

That's part of it, yes, although now they're sending packets both as
Postlink and as QWK, so standard tossers like Qmail can handle them.
Private replies don't work well with QWK, though; -every- board that
uses QWK gets the messages if they go through the main hub.

>: POLITICS conference is almost dead. When we rejoined (after being off
>: for a year or more), we initially carried -all- conferences, but over
>: 50% of them had -no- traffic.
>
>"Never had (or wanted) any part of running a board, but I used to be
>more-or-less active in the Shareware and Offline Mail conferences.
>Still check in from time to time, but they're practically dead."

Gee, those were two of the conferences I hung out in, too. I still
correspond with Jim Hanoian occasionally.