PLAQUE: Bob Keeshan

1 view

Alan B. Combs

Jan 23, 2004, 12:59:48 PM1/23/04

Bob Keeshan and Mister Rogers. Not that I ever watched them much, but
my children did. It always was a comfort to know such people were
actually existed.

Goodbye, Captain! Godspeed!

Alan

Rowan Hawthorn

Jan 23, 2004, 1:22:21 PM1/23/04

"Alan B. Combs" <aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message

"Never watched Mr. Rogers, but the Captain was a regular part of my viewing
back when I was a young'un. Here's to'em..."

** CRASH **

--
Rowan Hawthorn

"I love mankind, it's PEOPLE I can't stand!" - Linus Van Pelt

LeAnne

Jan 23, 2004, 2:22:58 PM1/23/04

On, no...

We *loved* the Captain. I still remember laughing when Bunny Rabbit
messily devoured a carrot or when Mr. Moose released the avalanche of
ping-pong balls. And I always made a point of reading the books that
Captain Kangaroo read to us, and thus I was introduced to many classics
of children's lit, including "Madelain," "Make Way for Ducklings," and
"Where the Wild Things Are."

Farewell, Captain.

*****CRASH*****

Tim Perry

Jan 23, 2004, 2:30:27 PM1/23/04

"LeAnne" <NoS...@NoSpam.org> wrote in message

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040123131109990001

may the spirit endure

barbara trumpinski-roberts

Jan 23, 2004, 2:38:07 PM1/23/04

kitten wipes away tears (literally) remembering the captain and his treasure
house....

*crash*
--
kit...@uiuc.edu barbara trumpinski-roberts
Funk Library, College of ACES, UIUC 333-2416

Bruce

Jan 23, 2004, 3:31:42 PM1/23/04
Thus quoth "Alan B. Combs" <aco...@mail.utexas.edu> in news:acombs-
6521C3.115...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu:

> Bob Keeshan and Mister Rogers. Not that I ever watched them much, but
> my children did. It always was a comfort to know such people were
> actually existed.

] ] ] C R A S H [ [ [

--
Bruce -- Harper Blue

"My father was an iconoclast; he clasted more iconos that anyone else I
knew...."
=====
Remove Tolkien to mail me
Release the bound books!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/friend/harperbruce

Jan 23, 2004, 3:32:33 PM1/23/04
He wore a gray wig when he started because he felt that the Captain
should be older. :-) Needless to say, he grew into the hair with grace
and humor.

I remember the anonymous artist who drew the stories that folksingers
sang. And his (?) hopeful ending to Puff the Magic Dragon - a wee,
little boy marching happily to Puff's cave. The end? Never... more
like 'the beginning'. Silly songs, corny jokes, and reading, reading,
reading.

Good night, Captain.

*************Crash**************

karen

Listening to the last ticktock of Grandfather Clock.

Eu. Harry Andruschak

Jan 23, 2004, 3:47:56 PM1/23/04
The cat harem observes a long period of silence.

Reply to harryandruschak AT aol DOT com
Honorary Menobabe with golden toenails
Abject, humble Cat Harem eunuch slave to
^..^ Conway, Czarina, Max, and Molley ^..^
"Because Nice Matters"

Wayne S Garmil

Jan 23, 2004, 5:11:06 PM1/23/04
In article <acombs-6521C3....@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,

Alan B. Combs <aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>Bob Keeshan and Mister Rogers. Not that I ever watched them much, but
>my children did. It always was a comfort to know such people were
>actually existed.

We lost the Captain?! ARGH!!

I want to second the emotion above. It was Fred Rogers who taught me
that some preachers could put aside their religion and teach to
everyone, not just their Sunday School students. As for the Captain,
I watched him when the show first started and LOVED IT!!

Truely, this is a sad day...

Wayne

--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes; I have to turn

D.J.

Jan 23, 2004, 5:19:26 PM1/23/04

"Alan B. Combs" <aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
] Bob Keeshan and Mister Rogers. Not that I ever watched them much, but
] my children did. It always was a comfort to know such people were
] actually existed.

Many long years ago I was watching tv one morning. Some young guy
came on the tv, the old black and white tv days, and had a time of
it looking for the keys to open the door. As the years went by he
aged and had grey then white hair. But the rabbit still got carrots
and Moose still dropped ping pong balls on him.

Good bye Capatain Kangaroo ! Good-bye !

D.J.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
My Web pages Updated: Jan 21, 2004:

Uncl...@home.alone.invalid

Jan 23, 2004, 8:58:27 PM1/23/04
"Alan B. Combs" <aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

I was going to propose a toast for the captain. He served his country as a
Marine first and then entertained many of us as Clarabelle on The Howdy
Doody Show. I watched him on that one. Then he moved on to Captain
Kangaroo. My (much) younger brothers and sisters watched him as did my own
kids and other relatives. He as well as Mr Rogers were fine examples for
kids growing up.

Well done sirs. Rest in peace.

--
Uncle Sky
http://www.asstr.org/files/Authors/uncle_sky

Bruce

Jan 23, 2004, 10:35:09 PM1/23/04
Thus quoth "Alan B. Combs" <aco...@mail.utexas.edu> in news:acombs-
6521C3.115...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu:

> Bob Keeshan and Mister Rogers. Not that I ever watched them much, but
> my children did. It always was a comfort to know such people were
> actually existed.

Found on another group (where it was found on another group):

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the calls;
Rise up--for you the flag is flung--and it's raining ping pong balls!

All I did this afternoon was toast him; but the Captain will be sorely
missed. I wish my two kids had been given the opportunity to grow up with
Bob Keeshan as I had.

Denaldo

Jan 23, 2004, 10:54:49 PM1/23/04

Denaldo sheds a tear for a fondly remembered friend of his
childhood years. He is fairly certain this is a double loss,
including 'Grandfather Clock', as he thinks that, as in a
child's song he sang at that same age,
"The clock, stopped, never to run again, when the old man died."

--
Wondering if my punning had its origins with the Captain's
trickster friend, Mr. Moose.

Kris Overstreet

Jan 23, 2004, 11:06:44 PM1/23/04
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:59:48 -0600, "Alan B. Combs"
<aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>Bob Keeshan and Mister Rogers. Not that I ever watched them much, but
>my children did. It always was a comfort to know such people were
>actually existed.

When I was little, Mister Rogers gave me nightmares... but the Captain
was a pleasant, friendly face who mixed wonder and whimsy.

Sadly, the Captain had been dropped from my local CBS affiliate years
before he was actually cancelled. When it stopped airing, I mourned.
I was about eight when KFDM-6 dropped the show, and it was the first
time I cared about the cancellation of a television show.

Bob Keeshan blended the cuteness of Teletubbies, the viewer
interaction of Barney, the gentleness of Mr. Rogers, and the wild-ass
silliness of the Muppets in even measure- while at the same time
introducing young children to the wonders of books. And- to the best
of my knowledge- he never sold out. (If anyone knows of any
Tickle-Me-Mr.-Moose toys, or Hokey-Pokey Dancing Bear, don't tell me-
I don't want to know.)

To the man who loved children... who dedicated his life to providing
the finest quality entertainment for children, television which opened
the mind rather than numbed it... I pay tribute.

*CRASH*

Redneck

Wesley Struebing

Jan 24, 2004, 12:04:53 AM1/24/04
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:59:48 -0600, "Alan B. Combs"
<aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

I couldn't believe he was only 76. It seems that I (and some of my
kids) watched him forever!

Captain, have fun in the summerlands, and watch out for pingpong balls
(I know you're gonna run into Mr. Greenjeans...)

Kate Gladstone

Jan 24, 2004, 12:07:56 AM1/24/04
Bye-bye, Captain ...

I hope that they can use you Upstairs
in "Universe Design - Attention-to-Children Division."

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair - ka...@global2000.net

StShaffer

Jan 24, 2004, 12:44:51 AM1/24/04
>To the man who loved children... who dedicated his life to providing
>the finest quality entertainment for children, television which opened
>the mind rather than numbed it... I pay tribute.
>
>*CRASH*
>
>Redneck

Hear, hear. Here's his theme, "Puffin' Billy." Go to near the bottom of the
page and click on the odd little icon that looks like a dorky radio speaker.
It'll take you back decades in time...

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/childrensfav.htm

Fax Paladin

Jan 24, 2004, 5:06:52 AM1/24/04

*crash!*

Fax
--
a"} HAVE PUN, WILL TRAVEL |The Texas Filk Page
/_\ Fax Paladin, Waco |http://www.texasfilk.org

Sea Wasp

Jan 24, 2004, 7:35:20 AM1/24/04
Jerry Hollombe wrote:
> "Alan B. Combs" <aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in
> I grew up with Clarabell the clown on the Howdy Doody show. Probably
> watched him a lot more than Captain Kangaroo. Bob touched a lot of
> lives.

"Knock-knock!"
"Who's there?"
"Mini."
"Mini-mini ping-pong balls!"
***CRASH!***

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Denaldo

Jan 24, 2004, 8:00:22 AM1/24/04
Kris Overstreet wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:59:48 -0600, "Alan B. Combs"
> <aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>

>>Bob Keeshan and Mister Rogers. Not that I ever watched them much, but
>>my children did. It always was a comfort to know such people were
>>actually existed.
>>

> When I was little, Mister Rogers gave me nightmares... but the Captain
> was a pleasant, friendly face who mixed wonder and whimsy.
>
> Sadly, the Captain had been dropped from my local CBS affiliate years
> before he was actually cancelled. When it stopped airing, I mourned.
> I was about eight when KFDM-6 dropped the show, and it was the first
> time I cared about the cancellation of a television show.
>
> Bob Keeshan blended the cuteness of Teletubbies, the viewer
> interaction of Barney, the gentleness of Mr. Rogers, and the wild-ass
> silliness of the Muppets in even measure- while at the same time
> introducing young children to the wonders of books. And- to the best
> of my knowledge- he never sold out. (If anyone knows of any
> Tickle-Me-Mr.-Moose toys, or Hokey-Pokey Dancing Bear, don't tell me-
> I don't want to know.)

Not only that, but he kept strict control of what products could be
advertised during his program, pushing for creative toys like
Etch a Sketch, and vetoing anything that smacked of violence.

--
"Point your finger here and there, wave your morals in the air.
Do the Fundamental." Fundamental, from 'The Stops' by E. Barnes.

Jean Hoehn

Jan 24, 2004, 5:15:41 PM1/24/04
in article ha7310dmtki96e56s...@4ax.com, D.J. at
blue7...@wowserscrosswinds.net wrote on 1/23/04 4:19 PM:

> Good bye Capatain Kangaroo ! Good-bye !

Rest in peace, Captain. We'll miss you.
--
Jean

Basil

Jan 25, 2004, 1:24:28 AM1/25/04
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:59:48 -0600, "Alan B. Combs"
<aco...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

"I was this:

http://www.komotv.com/stories/29435.htm

and came straight here to put up a plaque. I'm glad to see I was
beaten to it." Basil says, eyes suspiciously bright.

"I remember him fondly. I had no idea he'd started Captain Kangaroo so
young."

"He will be missed."

!!!CRASH!!!

--
"Oooh, that's pretty! What do you call it?" "I call it the Pentalace"
http://www.freewebs.com/pentalace

To reach me, use mk1e9y702 <at> sneakemail <dot> com

The clear sky,
The green fruitful earth is good;
But peace among men is better. -- Omaha Indian Song

Beth Jackson

Jan 25, 2004, 1:35:36 AM1/25/04
<sniffly twinkle>
I'm gonna miss "(The Adventures Of) Tom Terrific (& his dog 'Manfred')"
too. ((:'-)

--Canary,
remembering that "magic blackboard"
(or whatever they called it)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The Canvas Canary"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(...Because I love to paint, like to sing, am blonde and a little bit
flighty. Visit my website and see;)

http://www.angelfire.com/nc/canvascanary

Wesley Struebing

Jan 25, 2004, 4:15:44 PM1/25/04
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:35:36 -0500 (EST), Canvas...@webtv.net (Beth
Jackson) wrote:

><sniffly twinkle>
>I'm gonna miss "(The Adventures Of) Tom Terrific (& his dog 'Manfred')"
>too. ((:'-)

"...I can be what I want to be
and if you'd like to see,
Just follow, follow me!"

(hmm, the graybeard muses as his eys mist over a bit, haven't thought
of Tom Terrifc in ages!)

Fax Paladin

Jan 26, 2004, 4:21:53 AM1/26/04

Fax smiles. "By the time I came to the party, it was 'Simon in the Land
of Chalk Drawings...'"

(Didn't actually watch it all that much - I tended to watch the "Today"
show with my parents. Yeah, precocious, which meant I missed out on a lot...)

Ace Lightning

Jan 31, 2004, 6:49:41 AM1/31/04
The middle-aged woman with purple hair tosses her
chocolate milk (chocolate milk?) into the fireplace,
where it goes

*****CRASH!!!*****

in spite of being a half-pint waxed carboard container
with a tiny little bendy straw...

neilk...@hotmail.com

Jan 28, 2005, 11:13:35 AM1/28/05
Hi:

If anyone's interested in Tom Terrific, Ebiz Auctions is selling the
following lot of comic books and other items (including two Tom
Terrific books) for me at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74&item=6507196686

I realize this isn't a "for sale" newsgroup, but if there are any of
Tom's fans looking at this, I thought you might enjoy the books. The
auction ends on 29-Jan-05.

Thank you for your interest!

D.J.

Jan 28, 2005, 2:54:56 PM1/28/05

neilk...@hotmail.com wrote:
] Hi:

]
] If anyone's interested in Tom Terrific, Ebiz Auctions is selling the

Look moron. A plaque is a eulogy of someone who has died.

You are real scum to be spitting on someone who has died.

--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.

http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 29, 2004
http://evergame.drivein-jim.net/blog/ Everquest January 10, 2005