8 dead after 2 suspected smuggling boats overturn off Black's Beach

Shark feeding

Mar 12, 2023, 3:43:28 PM3/12/23
SAN DIEGO — At least eight people died late Saturday night when two
suspected smuggling boats overturned in the ocean off Black’s Beach in the
Torrey Pines area in what officials called one of the deadliest maritime
events in San Diego history.
Officials were alerted to the incident when a Spanish-speaking woman
called 911 around 11:30 p.m. asking for help. She said two boats were near
Black’s Beach, one with eight people onboard and a second with eight to 10
people. She told dispatchers the one she was on had made it to shore while
the other had capsized and people were in the water.

However, emergency crews found both boats capsized and did not find any
survivors, Lifeguard Chief James Gartland.

A lifeguard dispatcher used GPS coordinates from the woman’s cellphone to
pinpoint the location in the water off of Black Gold Road, south of Torrey
Pines Gliderport, San Diego Fire-Rescue officials said.

Several factors hampered search efforts, including thick fog and high
tides. Eight bodies were found by lifeguards and Customs and Border
Protection officers, with some discovered on the beach and others in knee-
deep water. All of the victims were adults, officials said.

Lifeguards were unable to access the beach because of the high tide and
ended up wading north through knee to waist deep water, officials said.

“After a couple hundred yards, lifeguards on the beach reached dry sand
and then began to find lifeless bodies and two overturned pangas spread
over an area of about 400 yards,” a statement from the San Diego Fire-
Rescue Department said. “Several life jackets and fuel barrels were also
found.”

All of the victims were turned over the county Medical Examiner’s Office
to be identified.

Coast Guard Capt. James Spitler, the commander of the Coast Guard’s San
Diego sector, told reporters at a morning news conference that there’s
been a 771 percent increase in human trafficking in the Southern
California coastal region since 2017. “Since 2021, we’ve had 23 lives lost
at sea,” he said.

Coast Guard and San Diego Fire-Rescue helicopters and a Coast Guard cutter
were expected to comb the area for additional victims early Sunday after
thick fog lifted.

“We couldn’t get any helicopters up. We had boats in the water, but at
first light, once all the conditions clear, we will have Coast Guard out
here and San Diego Fire-Rescue and lifeguards doing a joint search through
the water for any possible victims that are left,” Daniel Eddy, San Diego
Fire-Rescue’s deputy chief of operations, told OnScene TV.

Black’s Beach is jointly owned by the city of San Diego and the state. The
stretch of sand is also known as Torrey Pines City Beach and Torrey Pines
State Beach.

“We tried to launch helicopters both from San Diego Fire and Coast Guard
but due to the conditions, they couldn’t get up,” Eddy said. “Coast Guard
finally got up with their copter, but due to the conditions of the fog in
the area it was hard for their (forward-looking thermal imaging cameras)
to get through to see anything in the water. We are hoping at first light
we will have better conditions to get everybody out there.”

He said a Coast Guard frigate also was being deployed to the area.

What a waste of resources, sending a frigate afterwards. The Coast Guard
wasn't doing their job to catch these invaders in the first place.

<https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2023-03-
12/8-reported-dead-after-2-suspected-smuggling-boats-crash-at-blacks-
beach>

Quint

Mar 12, 2023, 3:56:45 PM3/12/23
On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:43:27 -0000 (UTC), Shark feeding
<shark....@time.com> wrote:

>SAN DIEGO — At least eight people died late Saturday night when two
>suspected smuggling boats overturned in the ocean off Black’s Beach in the
>Torrey Pines area in what officials called one of the deadliest maritime
>events in San Diego history.
>Officials were alerted to the incident when a Spanish-speaking woman
>called 911 around 11:30 p.m. asking for help. She said two boats were near
>Black’s Beach, one with eight people onboard and a second with eight to 10
>people. She told dispatchers the one she was on had made it to shore while
>the other had capsized and people were in the water.

"We're really enjoying the feast," said Lorenzo Burns, and seven-gill
shark who calls the waters off San Diego home.

"The spicy food is a nice change, although I have to say these people
need to put on a few pounds-- they're pretty thin compared to our
usual sea-lion fare."

"Well, they're a lot better than those skinny antifa fuckers," chimed
in Eddie "The Fin" Meeker, a Great White who swam up from Mexico.
"They taste like top ramen and kale."

Scout

Mar 13, 2023, 9:58:19 AM3/13/23

"Shark feeding" <shark....@time.com> wrote in message
> SAN DIEGO - At least eight people died late Saturday night when two
> suspected smuggling boats overturned in the ocean off Black's Beach in the
> Torrey Pines area in what officials called one of the deadliest maritime
> events in San Diego history.

Sounds like a good deal.

D. Ray

Mar 13, 2023, 6:45:40 PM3/13/23
Oy vey, we need to ensure those poor people are arriving here safely.
That’ll be $100 mil for our new New Arrivals Safety Assurance Program.