running 32 bit on a 64 bit machine

don

Sep 9, 2011, 7:24:42 PM9/9/11
Since all the new dell laptops are running 64 bit now - how well will the 32
bit acad 2012 run on 64 bit..... I still have Win XP Pro 32 bit and would
like to not have to buy 2 versions of Acad..... what type of gains does the
64 bit have as opposed to 32 bit

Rowley

Sep 13, 2011, 6:57:15 AM9/13/11

I have W7P-64bit, and haven't had a lot of problems running most 32-bit
programs. The one exception was trying to load AutoCAD 2000 - the 32-bit
installation program would not run... Which is why I upgraded to AutoCAD
LT 2009, and even then I had some some issues with trying to install
some of the service packs for it - W7P-64 would not run them. Recently
upgraded to AutoCAD LT 2012 and haven't had any problems. Not really
sure if it installed as a 32-bit or 64-bit app, but I'm thinking it was
64-bit.

IMO, unless you're working on some large & complicated stuff, the
difference between 32 & 64 shouldn't be noticeable..

Martin

cshadedesign.com

Oct 6, 2011, 8:10:51 AM10/6/11
Problem one was AutoCAD 2000 trying to be installed on an OS that it
does not support; Win 7 in this case.
Same issue with AutoCAD LT 2009 on a Win 7 OS: It is not supported.
LT 2012 is supported on Win 7 OS which is why it would load.

Generally 32 bit programs will run on 64 bit machines but not the
reverse. Issues can arise from the OS but Win 7 Pro, Ultimate, and
Enterprise offer an XP emulation modes that allows XP and Vista based
programs to be loaded. This may be what was need to be used to install
the 2000 software. The start up will tell you whether or not the OS is
32 or 64 bit. Also if you right click the My Computer icon on the
Desktop and choose Properties this will list the OS bit rate. Same can
be done from the Help; About dropdown in AutoCAD

64 bit is the future and will run faster. Look for a minimum 6 gigs of
RAM and certified graphics cards. You may also need to look at turning
off Win 7's Aero theme too. Google running AutoCAD 2012 on Win 7 for
other speed enhancers.

troppo

Oct 6, 2011, 10:19:01 AM10/6/11
"cshadedesign.com" <cls...@cshadedesign.com> wrote in news:992eb0ca-9263-
42d6-ae61-0...@d17g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:
The setup.exe for ACAD 2000i is 16 bit. I managed to install 2k on 64 bit
Vista using Epsilon Install Kit. Be interested to know if Win 7 solves the
problem, otherwise I guess I'll shift to Draftsight.

Ron Paii

Jan 6, 2012, 4:23:03 PM1/6/12

"troppo" <tr-...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I had very little trouble installing Acad 2000i on Win7 pro 64bit.
1) Use a NON administrator account to install and run ACAD 2000i
2) Give users full access to C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCad 2000i
3) Right click on Setup.exe and select "Run as Administrator"
4) Ok the error message hiding behind the progress bar.
5) If needed, run the service pack u090_u181p.exe as administrator.

If you have express tools, install them manually
Copy acettest.fas to C:\Program Files (x86)\Autocad 2000i
Copy the \migrate express tools\express folder to C:\Program Files
(x86)\AutoCad 2000i

Start AutoCAD from the desktop icon. You may get the "Failed to update the
system registry. Please try using REGEDIT". error. It's an irritant but
doesn't seem to cause a problem. There are some usability issues, mostly
with the clip board. One user reported that it doesn't always respect file
locking.

troppo

Jan 6, 2012, 9:15:30 PM1/6/12
"Ron Paii" <No...@none.com> wrote in news:je7onq$lrk$1...@dont-email.me:
Is that the catch - ok in Pro, not in Home Premium?

So I get Pro if/when I need to upgrade, and I'll keep your instructions -
thanks.

Ron Paii

Jan 7, 2012, 9:05:21 AM1/7/12

"troppo" <tr-...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I can't say if Pro allowed it to install and run; it's the only version I
use. I do know that running as admin made W7 unworkable in my environment.

Ron Paii

Jan 7, 2012, 9:05:21 AM1/7/12