10Base-2 and CATV, RG58 and RG59

Bill Zhao

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
There is a CATV cable inside my apartment which connect two bedrooms. Since
I don't have cable installed, I want to utilize this cable as a means to
connect my 2 computers together(one in each room).

But the 10Base-2 is based on 50ohm RG58 thin coax cable. And CATV is
supposed to be based on 75ohm RG59 thin coax cable.

My question is

1. How do I know if the CATV cable in my apartment is RG59 75ohm?

2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable? Did
anybody tried this before? Or if I can't do this, is there any non-expensive
converter alternative(maybe not, you can increase the ohm but not decrease,
right?).

Please reply to my email address also when you reply to the newsgroup.

Thanks,

Mag Red

Keith E Minkler

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
This is an easy one....

first of all, it is, and second of all no, you need RG58-A/U wire, not 59
grade...
sorry,
Keith Minkler

Rob Sterne

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Bill Zhao wrote:

> 1. How do I know if the CATV cable in my apartment is RG59 75ohm?

Cable TV wire is ALWAYS 75 ohm, either RG59 or RG6.

> 2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable?

Nope! Won't work. Sorry.

Rob

Jean Desrosiers

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Bill,

    Go ahead, it's going to work quite well.  I have tried it at home on my 10base2 network and it did
work.  My cables are all RG58 (50 ohms) and someone asked the same question as you, I was curious
and I spliced in 100 feet of RG59 (with all the adapters from "f" connectors to BNC) and not a single
error.  Obviously you would not want to go 185 meters with RG59, but between two rooms or inside a
house, no problems.  In a former life, we even spliced thick ethernet to thin ethernet cables with
adapters and no problems reported, again this was not a super long segment, but it did work.

Jean

There is a CATV cable inside my apartment which connect two bedrooms. Since
I don't have cable installed, I want to utilize this cable as a means to
connect my 2 computers together(one in each room).

But the 10Base-2 is based on 50ohm RG58 thin coax cable. And CATV is
supposed to be based on 75ohm RG59 thin coax cable.

My question is

1. How do I know if the CATV cable in my apartment is RG59 75ohm?

2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable? Did

anybody tried this before? Or if I can't do this, is there any non-expensive
converter alternative(maybe not, you can increase the ohm but not decrease,
right?).

Please reply to my email address also when you reply to the newsgroup.

Thanks,

Mag Red

Let's procrastinate... tomorrow
http://newsfeed.sx.nec.com/~ynecjdr/index.html
j-...@bigfoot.com

Dan Cook

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:10:21 -0400, Jean Desrosiers <j-...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Go ahead, it's going to work quite well. I have tried it at home on my
> 10base2 network and it did work.

There was once a man who lived a normal life after having a large spike
driven through his skull and brain. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Neither would I recommend using RG59 for 10base2. The very last thing
I would say is that it's going to work well.

- Dan

Tom

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Dan, why would you say something like that? What makes you think it won't
work? Have you tried it? What's wrong with little experiment?
Tom

Dan Cook

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
On Thu, 01 Oct 1998 02:30:45 GMT, Tom <to...@usa.net> wrote:

> Dan, why would you say something like that? What makes you think it won't
> work? Have you tried it?

Yes indeed.

> What's wrong with little experiment?

Many of us have already done this experiment. Those who haven't can
learn from us. No need to repeat folks. Every once in a great while
you might get it to work, depending on your particular circumstances.
Mostly though, it doesn't work. Not reliably anyway. (It /does/ work
with those old long obsolete 8-bit ARCnet cards, but that's not Ethernet.)

- Dan

Troy A Nolen

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
: thats total bullshit, I am using 75 ohm cable now, 3 computers,
: total length of 60 feet and no errors, I would have used 50 ohm
: cable, but I had a shitload of the other and didnt feel like buying
: more coax, it should work, maybee not always, but it works 4 me.

jwr...@jofco.com

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
If you are just going to connect two computers together, why don’t you hit the
auction sites and try to pick yourself up some old Arcnet cards? Arcnet will
run over almost any wire - in fact in a pinch one time I spliced an Arcnet
network with a straightened out coat hanger. Then you can get F-type to BNC
converters and things will run just fine. They are slower, but for two
computers you won’t be able to tell a difference.

John Wright

In article <3611d...@news.mediacity.com>,

"Bill Zhao" <bz...@xm.com> wrote:
> There is a CATV cable inside my apartment which connect two bedrooms. Since
> I don't have cable installed, I want to utilize this cable as a means to
> connect my 2 computers together(one in each room).
>
> But the 10Base-2 is based on 50ohm RG58 thin coax cable. And CATV is
> supposed to be based on 75ohm RG59 thin coax cable.
>
> My question is
>
> 1. How do I know if the CATV cable in my apartment is RG59 75ohm?
>
> 2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable? Did
> anybody tried this before? Or if I can't do this, is there any non-expensive
> converter alternative(maybe not, you can increase the ohm but not decrease,
> right?).
>
> Please reply to my email address also when you reply to the newsgroup.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mag Red

news.cet.pt

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

> 2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable? Did
> anybody tried this before? Or if I can't do this, is there any
non-expensive
> converter alternative(maybe not, you can increase the ohm but not
decrease,
> right?).

If the distance is not too long i think it愀 work
(sorry my english)

Darr

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Bill Zhao wrote:
> My question is
>
> 1. How do I know if the CATV cable in my apartment is RG59 75ohm?
>
> 2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable? Did
> anybody tried this before? Or if I can't do this, is there any non-expensive
> converter alternative(maybe not, you can increase the ohm but not decrease,
> right?).

Most other replies said in effect 'just because'... maybe 'cause you
said you had one question, and then reeled off 4?
heh heh

Anyway...

1) Coax typically tells on the cable jacket what its impedance is... if
not, it has a number on it that can be cross-referenced to find the
impedance.

2a) Probably.

2b) Not me (I too have hundreds of feet of RG59 laying around, but still
went and bought RG58/u when I had my network hooked up 10base2).

2c) A terminator on each end of the cable effectively puts them in
parallel... resistance in parallel is equal to: the reciprocal of the
sum of the reciprocals;
when the resistances are equal, the impedance is one half of one
resistance.

e.g. ethernet terminators are (supposed to be) 50-ohms...
ergo 1/50 + 1/50 = 2/50 = 1/25
and the reciprocal of 1/25 is 25
2 50-ohm terminators should give most any coax an impedance of
25-ohms... how close to 25 depends on the length of and actual impedance
of the cable itself, and the tolerance of the resistors in the
terminators.

so, if you used regular 75-ohm TV terminators (as used to plug unused
inputs/outputs on splitters and amps), they would 'increase' the
impedance of the cable to 35-ohms.

But if you used one 50-ohm terminator and one 40-ohm (you'd have to
build one - I don't know of any BNC or F-type terminators off-the-shelf
in that range), the impedance would be lowered to ~22.2-ohms; 2 40-ohm
terminators should give the cable run about 20-ohms of impedance; et
cetera.

I hope that's clear enough so you know it *is* possible to decrease the
resistance as well as increase it (but whether it would help or not on
ethernet is another matter).

Bob Tournoux

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
I have four computers on a net in my house and have used old (30 years at
least) 75 ohm cable from work to do the connections. I even have 75 ohm
terminators instead of 50 ohm terminators in some spots. I have been running
this network for about 2 years and never had a problem. I wouldn't suggest
it for a business, but for home use it is fine. I have also monitored my
network for errors and don't notice anything objectionable. My network is
hooked through a proxy server to a cable modem and all the other computers
get through to the internet with nooooooooooo problems! The kids and wife
are quite happy with it.

So, go for it!

Regards and good luck

Bob
trev...@clara.net wrote in message <36168947...@news.clara.net>...
>On 2 Oct 1998 14:02:00 GMT, "news.cet.pt" <car...@cet.pt> wrote:
>
>This is a bit like putting a coat hanger or piece of wire in the back
>of a TV when you have no aerial......
>Yes, it does work, But not as well as the real thing!
>You will incurr impedance mismatch and hence losses of the signal.
>The further you go - the greater the loss, until it diesnt work.
>Withis a house, you shouldn't have problems.
>
>Rgs Trevor

>>> 2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable?
Did
>>> anybody tried this before? Or if I can't do this, is there any
>>non-expensive
>>> converter alternative(maybe not, you can increase the ohm but not
>>decrease,
>>> right?).

trev...@clara.net

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98

Cris Rys

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
I have about 150ft of RG6 with 50ohm terminators on each end running as the
backbone ethernet connecting 2 hubs. It works OK for me.

-cris

Darr wrote in message <36153F0F...@spam.acd.net>...

>Bill Zhao wrote:
>> My question is
>>
>> 1. How do I know if the CATV cable in my apartment is RG59 75ohm?
>>

>> 2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable? Did
>> anybody tried this before? Or if I can't do this, is there any
non-expensive
>> converter alternative(maybe not, you can increase the ohm but not
decrease,
>> right?).

Jamie Hanrahan

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
@cts.com
Newsgroups: alt.cable-tv,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.networks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,sdnet.cablemodems

*sigh*

Rigorously speaking, not even RG58 is the right stuff for 10-Base-2.
THe 10-Base-2 specs are considerably tighter than those for RG58(-A,
-U, -anything). If you really need this stuff to work, go buy "real"
10-Base-2 cable from someone who doesn't try to tell you "RG58 is the
same thing".

Yes, RG58 can be used, and yes, you can sometimes get away with RG59.
Heck, just to prove the point, I once ran 10-Base-2 over about ten
feet of lamp cord (using BNC-to-test-clip adapters at each hub). I
sure wouldn't try that for any distance though. The closer you get to
10-Base-2's limits on segment length, tap spacing, number of taps,
etc., the closer you have to get to the right cable.

Even if "it works" with your RG59, look at your NIC and protocol error
counters. Look for collisions, bad packets received, retries, etc.
You might be unpleasantly surprised. You see, it may be "working" but
only because your upper level protocols are doing far more retries
than you would really like. This hurts throughput in a big way.

The terminators, by the way, must be 50 ohms at each end regardless of
the impedance of the cable. Yes, this is an impedance mismatch to the
cable, but it is required by the *DC* signalling requirements of
10-Base-2. If you're using RG59 and so you thought you'd need 75-ohm
terminators, it may limp along, but collision detection will no longer
be reliable and so there will be even more retries by the upper
layers...

And speaking of that... Someone in this thread wrote:

>2c) A terminator on each end of the cable effectively puts them in
>parallel...

Not so. They are separated by the length of the cable.

You can't say "I have a 50-ohm terminator at each end, therefore the
impedance is 25 ohms", any more than you can connect an ohmmeter to
the center and shield of an unterminated open length of RG58 and
measure anything but infinity.

Think of it this way: When you put a signal into one of the taps, part
of the signal goes one way, and part goes the other. Each sees 50
ohms.

>e.g. ethernet terminators are (supposed to be) 50-ohms...
>ergo 1/50 + 1/50 = 2/50 = 1/25
>and the reciprocal of 1/25 is 25
>2 50-ohm terminators should give most any coax an impedance of
>25-ohms...

Nope. The cable is still 50 ohms. Each terminator will still be 50
ohms. When a signal propagating down the cable hits the terminator,
it will see first the 50-ohm impedance of the cable, and then the
50-ohm impedance of the terminator, and so NOT cause a reflection.
(Reflections are bad.)

Yes, if we put 50-ohm terminators on 75-ohm cables, there will be some
reflections. But the *DC* signalling mechanism in 10-Base-2 requires
50-ohm terminators, i.e., a 25-ohm DC load. The reflections aren't
too much of a problem with short cable lengths and small numbers of
taps, which is why a lot of folks in this thread have reported getting
away with using RG59.

>so, if you used regular 75-ohm TV terminators (as used to plug unused
>inputs/outputs on splitters and amps), they would 'increase' the
>impedance of the cable to 35-ohms.

Nope. If you have 50-ohm cable, the cable is still 50 ohms. The
signal would hit an impedance mismatch at each terminator.

>But if you used one 50-ohm terminator and one 40-ohm (you'd have to
>build one - I don't know of any BNC or F-type terminators off-the-shelf
>in that range), the impedance would be lowered to ~22.2-ohms; 2 40-ohm
>terminators should give the cable run about 20-ohms of impedance; et
>cetera.
>
>I hope that's clear enough

It's not only not clear, it's wildly wrong.

--- Jamie Hanrahan, Kernel Mode Systems, San Diego CA (j...@cmkrnl.com)
Drivers, internals, networks, applications, and training for VMS and Windows NT
NT kernel driver FAQ, links, and other information: http://www.cmkrnl.com/

Please reply in news, not via e-mail.

BeeJay

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
Troy,
I *THINK* the specs that require RG58 type cable, are for IEEE Spec. Does
it work with 75 ohm, yes. *but* it's not network spec...
Not that it matters if your computers are working. However for a Network
Tech it matters.

Kurt C. Anderson

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98

Jamie Hanrahan wrote in message <3617a0cb....@nntp.cts.com>...
:*sigh*

:
:Rigorously speaking, not even RG58 is the right stuff for 10-Base-2.
:THe 10-Base-2 specs are considerably tighter than those for RG58(-A,
:-U, -anything). If you really need this stuff to work, go buy "real"
:10-Base-2 cable from someone who doesn't try to tell you "RG58 is the
:same thing".
:
ok, i'll bite. what is real 10base-2 cable if it isn't rg58(-a, -u)

kurt

Kevin Gaul

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
I don't mean to but in, but RG58 is 52 ohm cable. belden has a cable that
is rated at 50 ohm. the diffrence in ohm value will decrease the over all
distance that the network will work from 4500 ft to about 3000 ft or less.

But for home use as long as you keep the core the same (stranded or solid)
don't mix it.
there should be no problem.

Kevin

James Knott

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
In article <3617a0cb....@nntp.cts.com>,
j...@cmkrnl.com (Jamie Hanrahan) wrote:

>>2c) A terminator on each end of the cable effectively puts them in
>>parallel...
>
>Not so. They are separated by the length of the cable.
>
>You can't say "I have a 50-ohm terminator at each end, therefore the
>impedance is 25 ohms", any more than you can connect an ohmmeter to
>the center and shield of an unterminated open length of RG58 and
>measure anything but infinity.

Actually, if everything is the same impedance, that is exactly the way
it works. In this situation, the generator (NIC) cannot see any
difference between two terminators right at the T connector and
terminators at the ends of *ANY* length cable. An infinitely long
piece of cable looks exactly like a resistor of the same impedance, as
does any length of cable with a terminator at the end.

Mix impedances and you get into some fun math to determine the
impedance seen by the generator.

>Think of it this way: When you put a signal into one of the taps, part
>of the signal goes one way, and part goes the other. Each sees 50
>ohms.

And two 50 ohm loads in parallel gives you 25 ohms, which is what
the NIC has to drive in a properly terminated system.

--
E-mail jkn...@ca.ibm.com
The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of

James Knott

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
In article <36199FAB...@eosinc.com>,
Kevin Gaul <kg...@eosinc.com> wrote:

>But for home use as long as you keep the core the same (stranded or solid)
>don't mix it.
>there should be no problem.

????

Assuming you're using properly installed connectors etc, you'll never
be able to tell the difference without physically inspecting the
cable. A 50 ohm cable is a 50 ohm cable. The physical construction
will affect size, flexibility, attenuation etc., but beyond that
there's no difference to the signal.

phil

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
In article <DL/H2odSRI...@ibm.net>, James Knott <jkn...@ibm.net>
writes

>In article <3617a0cb....@nntp.cts.com>,
>j...@cmkrnl.com (Jamie Hanrahan) wrote:
>
>>>2c) A terminator on each end of the cable effectively puts them in
>>>parallel...
>>
>>Not so. They are separated by the length of the cable.
>>
>>You can't say "I have a 50-ohm terminator at each end, therefore the
>>impedance is 25 ohms", any more than you can connect an ohmmeter to
Impedance is A.C resistance, which is not the same thing as D.C
resistance. Terminators when measured with a meter read 50-ohms (D.C
Resistance)
The terminators Impedance would change from 50-ohms dependant on the
frequency used

--
phil

Jamie Hanrahan

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
@cts.com
Newsgroups: alt.cable-tv,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.networks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,sdnet.cablemodems

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:15:14 +0100, phil <jif...@jifjaf.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>In article <DL/H2odSRI...@ibm.net>, James Knott <jkn...@ibm.net>
>writes

>>>Not so. They are separated by the length of the cable.
>>>
>>>You can't say "I have a 50-ohm terminator at each end, therefore the
>>>impedance is 25 ohms", any more than you can connect an ohmmeter to
>Impedance is A.C resistance, which is not the same thing as D.C
>resistance. Terminators when measured with a meter read 50-ohms (D.C
>Resistance)
>The terminators Impedance would change from 50-ohms dependant on the
>frequency used

Not so (until you get into the GHz range where crude parts like these,
and RG58 for that matter, can't be used). The terminators we're
talking about have only a resistive component. That's the whole
point.

The cable impedance is relatively independent of frequency too, except
at very low frequencies where it ceases to act as a transmission line.

odi...@hotmail.com

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
Since RG59 cable can be use for 10Base2 networking, reversely, can my RG58
cable use for TV?? My house has RG58 cable built-into the wall when it's
built because of the previous 10Base2 networking in 4 rooms. However, I
decided to get a cable modem and upgrade the existed network to 100BaseT
through Cat5 cable. So as the RG58 still installed inside the wall, can I
attach the RG59 cable TV in my guest bedroom, then use a cable to connect it
to my RG58 jack, and through the RG58 jack, I can watch TV in my own bedroom
or even the cable modem use in my bedroom??

Any one know about it??

Please reply to Odi...@hotmail.com

Odie

Dave Roberts

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
In article <711r2s$2h4$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, odi...@hotmail.com writes

Yes, it will work to some extent BUT:
1) you should not make a three way join without a proper signal splitter
- this can be resistive or inductive.
2) you will lose a lot of signal if the RG58 is not a low-loss type e.g.
semi air-spaced or pu foam dielectic (unlikely it is).
3) you will probably get some *ghosting* due to signal reflections from
incorrect matching of impedance - this may lead to an unwatchable
picture.

The only answer is to try it and see - good luck!

For the more technically minded, the input to the TV tuner is 75 ohms
with a VSWR of up to typically 4.5!, so the idea of actually matching at
this end is nominal.
The signal source (antenna, cable etc.) will probably be a better match,
but will still be little better than 2:1.
Here in the UK, our off-air goes to 860 MHz and losses at this end over
more than a few meters of RG58 would probably kill off the idea!
--
Dave Roberts

Michael Walsh

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
20

news.cet.pt <car...@cet.pt> wrote in article
<01bdee0d$3a154560$640a...@pinho.intra.cet.pt>...

> > 2. If it is 75ohm, can I still hook up the computers with this cable?
Did
> > anybody tried this before? Or if I can't do this, is there any
> non-expensive
> > converter alternative(maybe not, you can increase the ohm but not
> decrease,
> > right?).

Story, Lenny

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
I've done this several times in my house. The Impedance is different but
for a home
network it wont make much difference (Unless you are trying to push maximum
bandwidth).
I used some adapter connectors that i bought from RadioShack that converted
a BNC-to-F connector.

Good Luck...
Lenny

Remco Post

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

It can be done, the trick is to find 75 Ohm terminations (they do
exists!) and
use those in stead of the 50 Ohm ones usually found...

Remco
--

I'M SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE --hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

Rob van der Putten

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Hi there

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Remco Post wrote:

> It can be done, the trick is to find 75 Ohm terminations (they do
> exists!) and use those in stead of the 50 Ohm ones usually found...

And modify your cards to send 60 instead of 80 mA.

Regards,
Rob

http://www.sput.webster.nl/spam-policy.html

0ut(ast

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Rob van der Putten wrote:

> Hi there
>

> On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Remco Post wrote:
>
> > It can be done, the trick is to find 75 Ohm terminations (they do
> > exists!) and use those in stead of the 50 Ohm ones usually found...
>
> And modify your cards to send 60 instead of 80 mA.

Actually none of this is necessary. I've used RJ59 coax put normal bnc
connectors on it myself and terminated it with plain old 50 ohm
terminators and for a small network it works just fine. Granted, its
probably not at all good for any of the hardware involved, but it does
work in a pinch.

0ut(ast

Life would be so much simpler if we
could just see the source code.

Rob van der Putten

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Hi there

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, 0ut(ast wrote:

> Actually none of this is necessary. I've used RJ59 coax put normal bnc
> connectors on it myself and terminated it with plain old 50 ohm
> terminators and for a small network it works just fine. Granted, its
> probably not at all good for any of the hardware involved, but it does
> work in a pinch.

Though the reflections caused by a 75/50 ohm mismatch is rather small, the
points where the reflections meet in phase may 'see' collosions.
This in turn can make communication between certain machines virually
impossible.

Regards,
Rob

| http://www.sput.webster.nl/spam-policy.html |

Jamie Hanrahan

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
@cts.com
Newsgroups: alt.cable-tv,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.networks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,sdnet.cablemodems

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:13:05 -0700, "0ut(ast" <out...@acpl.ml.org>
wrote:

>On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Rob van der Putten wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>

>> On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Remco Post wrote:
>>
>> > It can be done, the trick is to find 75 Ohm terminations (they do
>> > exists!) and use those in stead of the 50 Ohm ones usually found...

Wrong; in fact, not even that. The collision detection in thinwire
depends on the DC load being 25 ohms (50 at each end). You've just
messed it up. Fortunately the upper-level protocols will recover from
the errors.

>> And modify your cards to send 60 instead of 80 mA.

Well, ok, NOW it's at least wrong (the taps on the cards still being
designed to interface to 50 ohm cable, not 75).

>Actually none of this is necessary. I've used RJ59 coax put normal bnc
>connectors on it myself and terminated it with plain old 50 ohm
>terminators and for a small network it works just fine.

Yep, if the cable is short enough, the cable impedance really doesn't
matter.

>Granted, its
>probably not at all good for any of the hardware involved, but it does
>work in a pinch.

It will not hurt the NICs at all, your error and collision rate may
simply be slightly higher than if you'd used 50-ohm cable. Or they
may not. But "don't get cocky, kid"; the longer the cable, the more
taps (NICs), and the more traffic, the more important it becomes to
use 50-phm cable.

So DO try it at home, but "don't try this at work, kids!" :-)

Dale Newbury

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Jamie Hanrahan wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:13:05 -0700, "0ut(ast" <out...@acpl.ml.org>
> wrote:
> >On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Rob van der Putten wrote:
> >> On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Remco Post wrote:

<-blather blather->

> It will not hurt the NICs at all, your error and collision rate may
> simply be slightly higher than if you'd used 50-ohm cable. Or they
> may not. But "don't get cocky, kid"; the longer the cable, the more
> taps (NICs), and the more traffic, the more important it becomes to
> use 50-phm cable.
>
> So DO try it at home, but "don't try this at work, kids!" :-)

OK. So how about impedance matching baulins? 50 Ohm to 75 Ohm? I have
not been able to find any but am still looking. If I find a source
(other than wrap your own) I will post it.

Surely this would take care of any interconnect issues. I am interested
in this thread as I will soon be moving one of our computers to the
second floor of our house and the only cableing I have to this area is a
CATV run.

--
TTFN
Dale

Martin

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Dale Newbury <dnew...@newbridge.com> wrote:

>Surely this would take care of any interconnect issues. I am interested
>in this thread as I will soon be moving one of our computers to the
>second floor of our house and the only cableing I have to this area is a
>CATV run.

So what's wrong with installing special cables for your computer(s) ?
You don't use RG59 to run your vacuum-cleaner on, do you ?
Or your fresh running water through gaz-pipes ?

Martin

(Mitch Radcliffe)

Rob van der Putten

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Hi there

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Dale Newbury wrote:

> OK. So how about impedance matching baulins? 50 Ohm to 75 Ohm? I have
> not been able to find any but am still looking. If I find a source
> (other than wrap your own) I will post it.

Since an ethernet signal contains a DC component, you need a converter
containing active components. A simple transformer won't do the job.

> Surely this would take care of any interconnect issues. I am interested
> in this thread as I will soon be moving one of our computers to the
> second floor of our house and the only cableing I have to this area is a
> CATV run.

You could try to build and design a fork and put a 50 ohm fork and a 75
ohm fork back to back.

You could also try to modify your nics. Go to a ethernet chip manufacturer
site and study the data sheets. It could as simple as replacing a single
resistor.

Rob van der Putten

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Hi there

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Martin wrote:

> So what's wrong with installing special cables for your computer(s) ?

Installing RG58 is probably the simplest and cheapest thing to do anyway.