Split Line with top set box(es)

1 view

mag3

Mar 23, 2008, 11:33:35 AM3/23/08
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:48:01 -0800 (PST), robertva <rober...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>BTW: converters for digital service are normally "addressable" anyway,
>so it's not unusual for the cable company to be able to remotely
>control which channels a particular converter receives. Once logged
>into the cable company's computer system a company representative can
>modify the channel lineup for any of the converters in a few seconds,
>even if the converter is attached to the cable in the subscriber's
>home.

Is it possible for more than one such top set box to co-exist with the other on
a split line? I have three separate cable lines coming into my house, and three separate
digital top set boxes. I was planning to put one top set box on each line, but I now have
a different priority wherein I may need to split one of the lines and put two of the
boxes on one line. Will that cause problems in re:

1) Signal Strength;
2) The two boxes interfering with each other as the company programs them;
3) The "legality" of having multiple boxes on one line or the company detecting
more than one box on a given line...

Thanks.

Regards,

Arnold

RobertVA

Mar 23, 2008, 12:33:31 PM3/23/08

Each splitter reduces the signal strength. The more feeds the signal is
split into the more the signal strength is reduced. Whenever you can
substitute a smaller splitter (like a two way) for a larger one (like a
four way) you have an opportunity to get stronger signals on those feeds.

Be aware that digital cable service may be using higher frequencies than
analog cable. Those higher frequencies may be incompatible with ordinary
splitters. Look for splitters in packages that are labeled for digital
service or high frequencies (at least 1 GHz). Some cable companies will
provide splitters and/or cables over their customer service center
counter, applying the one time charge to the customer's next monthly
cable bill.

When cable companies signal a particular rental converter to change it's
configuration (active or not - which channels to receive) the signal
goes out over much, if not all, of the local cable system. It's likely
to work like other computer networks where the messages are repeated
after a delay of random length IF the data packet is not acknowledged by
the unit the signal is being sent to. Analog rental converters might be
receive only though, and may occasionally need a request for a repeat of
the configuration change signal.

Since the cable company would be charging rent for any converters they
provide, I seriously doubt they would object to you connecting them to
the feeds in your residence. Any "additional outlet" charges that their
policy provides for would be added to your billing when the converters
are signed for. The only circumstances I can see them objecting to would
be viewing unscrambled analog channels (intended for analog cable ready
televisions and VCRs) you aren't subscribed to or unencrypted digital
channels that your household wasn't subscribed to. Sometimes cable
companies will make hardware changes where a household's main feed
connects to the neighborhood trunk line to restrict which signals are
available on that household's feed.

mag3

Mar 23, 2008, 1:31:31 PM3/23/08
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:33:31 -0400, RobertVA <robert_c7...@invalid.net> wrote:

>mag3 wrote:

>> Is it possible for more than one such top set box to co-exist with the other on
>> a split line? I have three separate cable lines coming into my house, and three separate
>> digital top set boxes. I was planning to put one top set box on each line, but I now have
>> a different priority wherein I may need to split one of the lines and put two of the
>> boxes on one line. Will that cause problems in re:
>>
>> 1) Signal Strength;
>> 2) The two boxes interfering with each other as the company programs them;
>> 3) The "legality" of having multiple boxes on one line or the company detecting
>> more than one box on a given line...

>Be aware that digital cable service may be using higher frequencies than

>analog cable. Those higher frequencies may be incompatible with ordinary
>splitters. Look for splitters in packages that are labeled for digital
>service or high frequencies (at least 1 GHz).

Thanks much. I have 2-way splitters and I will make sure they can handle
1GHz. I intend only to put two on this line.

>When cable companies signal a particular rental converter to change it's
>configuration (active or not - which channels to receive) the signal
>goes out over much, if not all, of the local cable system. It's likely
>to work like other computer networks where the messages are repeated
>after a delay of random length IF the data packet is not acknowledged by
>the unit the signal is being sent to. Analog rental converters might be
>receive only though, and may occasionally need a request for a repeat of
>the configuration change signal.

These are digital boxes and are 2-way. I was concenred that if two boxes
were on the same line they would interfere with each other or be recognized
as being on the same line. From what you're saying above, it doesn't matter.
The signals are addressing one particular box on the entire network and are
broadcast as such. I gather that when the box transmits back it transmits its
address so it doesn't get confused with any other boxes on the network.

>Since the cable company would be charging rent for any converters they
>provide, I seriously doubt they would object to you connecting them to
>the feeds in your residence. Any "additional outlet" charges that their
>policy provides for would be added to your billing when the converters
>are signed for. The only circumstances I can see them objecting to would
>be viewing unscrambled analog channels (intended for analog cable ready
>televisions and VCRs) you aren't subscribed to or unencrypted digital
>channels that your household wasn't subscribed to. Sometimes cable
>companies will make hardware changes where a household's main feed
>connects to the neighborhood trunk line to restrict which signals are
>available on that household's feed.

At present, there are only a limited supply of very basic analog chanels left
unscrambled. I think it is only what's left "over the air." The rest is all on
the digital side. That's fine. I don't need anything else on the line where
there is no box. But if I do split the line I'm thinking of, i will have to
shut down that last line or rent another box to put on it because I think that
come 02/2009, even those last basic channels will convert to digital as well
and the whole line will be scrambled. That's OK.

Thanks.

Regards,

Arnold

RobertVA

Mar 23, 2008, 5:38:51 PM3/23/08

Be aware though that if you connect a two way splitter to the output of
another two way splitter the signal strength on two lines will be weaker
than the signal on the remaining line (the one that's comes directly off
the first splitter. Consider a four way (with one output unused) if
routing all the feeds from a single central distribution point wouldn't
be a problem.

I'm not able to cite a particular regulation, but I've read claims that
cable companies will be required to provide local broadcasts in
unscrambled analog on the cable OR offer rental converters to view local
channels on analog only TVs until some time in 2012. Late model TVs
(with ATCS/QAM tuners) should be able to pick up those locals without a
converter. Many systems will also have a small number of community
access channels (things like council/board of supervisors or school
board meetings) in analog or unencrypted digital.

mag3

Mar 23, 2008, 6:30:01 PM3/23/08
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:38:51 -0400, RobertVA <robert_c7...@invalid.net> wrote:

>mag3 wrote:

>> Thanks much. I have 2-way splitters and I will make sure they can handle
>> 1GHz. I intend only to put two on this line.
>>

>Be aware though that if you connect a two way splitter to the output of

>another two way splitter the signal strength on two lines will be weaker
>than the signal on the remaining line (the one that's comes directly off
>the first splitter. Consider a four way (with one output unused) if
>routing all the feeds from a single central distribution point wouldn't
>be a problem.

Sorry. I meant two "top set boxes" on one line with one 2-way splitter.

Regards,

Arnold

OldGoat

Apr 24, 2008, 10:06:30 PM4/24/08
Dear Mag,

Each converter has an individual FCC ID number to it just like a network
card in your computer. They cannot charge you a rental fee of a converter
you own per the Cable act of 1996. They can charge you for programming that
converter and if it not one of their usual units, they will screw it up,
throw their hands in the air, and refer you back to the mfg, in Taiwan. So
much for customer service.
If you have 3 lines each coming to the house on an individual tap port (from
the green thing on your lawn) signal loss is not an issue until you split
one of those lines. Each one has the same amount of signal (unless there is
a defect in the line or tap port), that amount, being dependent on how far
you are from the next system amplifier/ line extender, carefully configured
to get the proper amount of signal down stream to your neighbors down the
block.
So tossing a 2 way split (make sure it goes as high as 1 ghz in frequency or
you will chop off the higher band widths) will make little apparent
difference, unless you are a vidiophile and even then, I have seen them not
notice losses as high as negative 10 db on their 60 inch screens.
It would be worth testing each of those lines coming in for best signal, as
even the best underground cable gets water logged (usually from poor
installation habits) and aerial cable will oxidize over a period of years.
So you may have 3 lines (service drops) to the house, but their condition
can vary widely. I can dig up the math for doing signal strength through a
normal volt meter, but it will give you a migraine and the eye is a much
more reliable tool for pix quality than some formula will ever be.

Best of luck with your project--og

--
Be Sure to Check Out the PAYNE HERTZ blog, for people with chronic pain, by
people with chronic pain.

"mag3" <zmpmag...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

mag3

May 4, 2008, 9:46:03 AM5/4/08
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 02:06:30 GMT, "OldGoat" <oldgo...@ERdocsuckYahoo.com> wrote:

>So tossing a 2 way split (make sure it goes as high as 1 ghz in frequency or
>you will chop off the higher band widths) will make little apparent
>difference, unless you are a vidiophile and even then, I have seen them not
>notice losses as high as negative 10 db on their 60 inch screens.

It doesn't seem to have. As it turns out, I completed this config just yesterday.
The CC activated the 2nd box on the one line without difficulty. It is working
just fine. The splitter is 2ghz so I get the full bandwith offered by the top set box.

>It would be worth testing each of those lines coming in for best signal, as
>even the best underground cable gets water logged (usually from poor
>installation habits) and aerial cable will oxidize over a period of years.

It wouldn't matter though. The outlets are all on different floors of the house,
one in the master bedroom, one in the living room and one in the basement
where my SOHO is centralized (and the one I must use for this purpose). All
of the drops were wired internally during the initial construction of the house
(I'm the original owner) so I don't have access to anything but the outlets
themselves. No matter... the signal is pretty good.

>So you may have 3 lines (service drops) to the house, but their condition
>can vary widely. I can dig up the math for doing signal strength through a
>normal volt meter, but it will give you a migraine and the eye is a much
>more reliable tool for pix quality than some formula will ever be.
>
>Best of luck with your project--og

Well, the cable / Top set box part of it is up and running! The next hurdle is
resolving the IR Blaster issues I'm having. I'm using Hauppauge's Win TV
HVR 1600 with their IR blaster unit. I have it properly configured for my top
set box (it has serveral code set choices which properly operate the box).

When I use the basic WinTV program to watch TV, the IR blaster correctly
switches the channels simply by my adjusting them with the up/down arrows
on the TV display. I can see codes being entered and the channel changing.
However, when I try to use Hauppauge's "WinTV Scheduler" to schedule the
recording of a program, it sets up to record on the channel I choose, and starts
the event right on time. But the "Scheduler" program doesn't change the channel
like the regular WinTV does when I click on up/down arrows. I seem to get
whatever channel is currently set on the top set box before the event fires.

Have enquired with Hauppauge Tech Support. Will report progress.

Regards,

Arnold