Do they really work?

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Harold Jennings Jr.

unread,
Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
to
I've seen ads on the web for a Universal Decoder that would work with Rip
Shack parts. This particular company is in Utah. Has someone ordered a
decoder from them? If so, what's the scoop?

George Potter

unread,
Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
to
In article <4cbh0b$l...@crl4.crl.com>, har...@crl.com (Harold Jennings Jr.)
wrote:

>I've seen ads on the web for a Universal Decoder that would work with Rip
>Shack parts. This particular company is in Utah. Has someone ordered a
>decoder from them? If so, what's the scoop?

Of course it works, here is how.

1: steal cable
2: get caught
3: get convicted
4: watch all the free cable you want in your new quarters with your new
boyfriend

Get the picture?

George Potter
Alpha Nerd
Pennsylvania Cable & Telecommunicaions Association

--
"Saying Windows 95 is equal to Macintosh is like finding a potato that looks like Jesus and believing you've seen the Second Coming." - Guy Kawasaki

Matt Peterson

unread,
Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
to
Harold Jennings Jr. wrote:
>
> I've seen ads on the web for a Universal Decoder that would work with Rip
> Shack parts. This particular company is in Utah. Has someone ordered a
> decoder from them? If so, what's the scoop?

I purchased plans from one of these "7 parts from Radio Shack" folks and
here's the scoop:

1) I haven't finished it yet, so I can't say if it works.
2) The "7 parts from Radio Shack" part is a lie, Radio Shack has never
carried the 12-guage bare copper wire or 75-100pF variable capacitor
that are specified in the parts list. The copper wire can be picked up
at a hardware or electrical supply store. The capacitor may be available
at other electronics stores or ordered from an electronics wholesaler
such as Mouser Electronics (800)346-6873.
3) The plans for this descrambler are freely available in text file form
around the net. Do a little hunting and save yourself some money.

Matt

Tim

unread,
Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
to
>2) The "7 parts from Radio Shack" part is a lie, Radio Shack has never
>carried the 12-guage bare copper wire or 75-100pF variable capacitor
>that are specified in the parts list. The copper wire can be picked up
>at a hardware or electrical supply store. The capacitor may be available
>at other electronics stores or ordered from an electronics wholesaler
>such as Mouser Electronics (800)346-6873.

These capacitors were hard to find in KC a while back. I think I got
the last 3 in town.


Tim Knight<tkn...@sky.net>
http://www.sky.net/~tknight/


Tim

unread,
Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
to

David Ray Harriott

unread,
Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
to
tkn...@sky.net (Tim) wrote:

>>2) The "7 parts from Radio Shack" part is a lie, Radio Shack has never
>>carried the 12-guage bare copper wire or 75-100pF variable capacitor
>>that are specified in the parts list. The copper wire can be picked up
>>at a hardware or electrical supply store. The capacitor may be available
>>at other electronics stores or ordered from an electronics wholesaler
>>such as Mouser Electronics (800)346-6873.

>These capacitors were hard to find in KC a while back. I think I got
>the last 3 in town.

I've almost got it to work. My cable company switches you to an
advertisement channel anytime you try to watch something that your not
subscribed to. Well, with this little device I got the cable to stop
doing that. WOW! Now I can watch squigglely lines and listen to sound
tracks. (Almost as exciting as watching my radio.)

Anybody got a gif of this wonderful circut? I've tried every variation
I could think of.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages