Engineer accused of stealing secret U.S. government tech used to detect nuclear missile launches

useapen

Feb 10, 2024, 5:22:11 AMFeb 10
A former engineer was arrested on federal charges alleging he stole trade
secret technology that was developed by the U.S. government to detect
nuclear missile launches and to track ballistic and hypersonic missiles,
the Justice Department announced Wednesday.

Chenguang Gong, 57, of San Jose, California, was arrested Tuesday morning
and charged with theft of trade secrets, the Justice Department said in a
news release. Gong is a native of China and became a U.S. citizen in 2011,
the Justice Department said.

Gong appeared in court Wednesday and was released on $2.5 million bond
with location monitoring and a curfew, a spokesperson for the U.S.
attorney's office in Los Angeles said.

At the hearing, which took place in San Jose, he was represented by a
deputy federal public defender. He was ordered to make a court appearance
in Los Angeles by Feb. 20, and it remains unclear who will represent him
in that hearing, the spokesperson said.

While he was briefly working at a Los Angeles-area research and
development company — from March 30 to April 26 — Gong transferred 3,600
files from his work laptop to personal storage devices, court documents
allege. Some of the files were later discovered on devices taken from
Gong's temporary residence in Thousand Oaks, California, the Justice
Department said, citing an affidavit filed in support of the criminal
complaint.

Gong transferred more than 1,800 files after he had already accepted a new
job at a main competitor of the company on April 5, the Justice Department
said.

The files are said to include "blueprints for sophisticated infrared
sensors designed for use in space-based systems to detect nuclear missile
launches and track ballistic and hypersonic missiles, as well as
blueprints for sensors designed to enable U.S. military aircraft to detect
incoming heat-seeking missiles and take countermeasures, including by
jamming the missiles’ infrared tracking ability," according to the Justice
Department.

The U.S. government and the company Gong worked for, listed as the "victim
company" in the Justice Department's release and court documents, invested
tens of millions of dollars a year for more than seven years to develop
the technology Gong is accused of stealing, the Justice Department said,
citing the affidavit.

It added that it would be "damaging economically" for the company if
competitors got their hands on the technology and that it would also be a
danger to U.S. national security if it were obtained by "international
actors."

The information Gong is alleged to have stolen was "among the victim
company's most important trade secrets worth hundreds of millions of
dollars," the Justice Department said, citing court documents. Many of the
stolen files were marked, in all capital letters, "[victim company]
proprietary," "for official use only," "proprietary information" and
"export controlled."

"We will do everything to protect our nation’s security, including from
foreign threats,” U.S. Attorney Martin Estrada said.

Estrada said Gong had previously tried to provide China with information
to aid its military and "stole sensitive and confidential information
related to detecting nuclear missile launches and tracking ballistic and
hypersonic missiles."

"We know that foreign actors, including the [People's Republic of China],
are actively seeking to steal our technology, but we will remain vigilant
against this threat by safeguarding the innovations of American businesses
and researchers," Estrada said.

As it was investigating Gong, the Justice Department said, the FBI found
he applied a number of times to "Talent Programs" run by China from 2014
to 2022, all while employed by major U.S. tech companies.

The programs identify people who don't live in China but have skills,
abilities and knowledge that would aid its economy and military, the
Justice Department said.

A 2014 application submitted by Gong revealed a plan to create products
similar to those produced by the company he worked for at the time, the
Justice Department said. The FBI uncovered hundreds of confidential
documents from that company in executing a search warrant on May 8, the
Justice Department added.

Gong made a similar proposal in a 2020 application and traveled to China
multiple times in search of funding for his proposals, which he continued
to seek until March 2022, the Justice Department said.

In a 2019 email, it said, Gong acknowledged he "'took a risk" by traveling
to China to participate in the Talent Programs "'because [he] worked for …
an American military industry company' and thought he could 'do something'
to contribute to China’s 'high-end military integrated circuits.'"

If he is convicted, he could face up to 10 years in federal prison.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/engineer-accused-stealing-secret-us-
government-tech-used-detect-nuclea-rcna137781

pothead

Feb 10, 2024, 9:33:52 AMFeb 10
And this is just the beginning.
Our colleges and high tech businesses are chock full of Chinese nationals whose mission is to spy
on the U.S.

And the thousands of male Chinese migrants flooding the border will also be put to good use
by the CCP.

--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024.

Governor Swill

Feb 10, 2024, 10:48:18 PMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:33:49 -0000 (UTC), pothead <pot...@snakebite.com> wrote:

>> If he is convicted, he could face up to 10 years in federal prison.
>>
>> https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/engineer-accused-stealing-secret-us-
>> government-tech-used-detect-nuclea-rcna137781
>
>And this is just the beginning.
>Our colleges and high tech businesses are chock full of Chinese nationals whose mission is to spy
>on the U.S.

And you think the government isn't aware of this?

>And the thousands of male Chinese migrants flooding the border will also be put to good use
>by the CCP.

Oh, yeah, the mysterious undocumented invasion force that's going to use our own gun laws
against us by rising up some night and capturing Washington.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

Swill
--
"Trump has erased the assumption that credibility is a nice thing to have."
- David Brooks

Not left, not right, https://www.forwardparty.com/

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.