remove masking tape from vinyl siding?

PaulS

Oct 30, 2007, 11:17:28 AM10/30/07
I put some masking tape on some vinyl siding so I could paint the trim. Got
sick, chemo radiation etc and now it has hardened on the siding. Any ideas
how to remove it?
Thanks, paul

PeterD

Oct 30, 2007, 1:30:59 PM10/30/07
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:17:28 -0500, "PaulS" <seme...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

Try spraying with WD-40, and letting it soak. However, WD-40 is
volitile so don't let it sit for more than a day or you'll loose the
effect.

Not sure if it will work, but that is how I take off most old tape.

Also try ATF, which won't evaporate but takes longer to soak in.
ANother thing to try, but really smelly, is diesel fuel/ATF in a 50/50
mix. Stinks, wash well before going inside.

dpb

Oct 30, 2007, 1:43:25 PM10/30/07

First, glad to see you're past the point that you're now interested and
able to followup...

If you can manage to get the bulk of the tape itself to peel leaving the
adhesive residue, the Goo remover works pretty well and isn't too much
of a solvent that would dissolve the vinyl.

If the whole tape itself is stuck and won't peel at all, I'd try a hot
pressure washer first if had one available. Otherwise, a good long soak
and stiff-bristled brush would be my first try at it. After that, I
don't have a really good suggestion...

George

Oct 30, 2007, 5:29:03 PM10/30/07

Since it is plastic I would try something less volatile first like
vegetable oil. Put some on a paper towel and try to get a heavy coat on
an area and let it sit for a while. If it is going to work the adhesive
will turn to goo and then you can wipe and off and finish with a typical
household spray cleaner.

v8z

Oct 30, 2007, 9:17:59 PM10/30/07
A common hair dryer (NOT a high temp. heat gun) should soften the adhesive
enough to allow removing the tape in strips, but will not get hot enough to
deform the siding. Start at an end, and work along the length, heating just
ahead of the area you're pulling. Citrus oil solvent like GOO-Gone to
remove any left-over.

"PaulS" <seme...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

PaulS

Nov 1, 2007, 5:11:44 PM11/1/07

"PaulS" <seme...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the responses, I'll try this weekend.
Paul

RexD

Sep 3, 2018, 6:44:04 PM9/3/18
replying to PaulS, RexD wrote:
Hi Paul,
I have the same problem, and I wondered if you remember what finally worked
for you 11 years ago. I have about 20' of tape, so I don't think I can afford
that much WD-40. I don't happen to have jet fuel lying around. I thought of
hair dryer, but it did, in fact, deform the vinyl. My siding guy suggested
Magic Eraser, but that was a loser. My next idea is sandpaper, but I'm pretty
sure that's going to make the trim look pretty bad.
Thanks
Rex

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/construction/remove-masking-tape-from-vinyl-siding-11567-.htm

vondeser

Aug 11, 2019, 9:14:02 AM8/11/19
replying to PaulS, vondeser wrote:
Metal siding means corrosion... and even if it is covered with paint or
zinc-coating, there can still be some kind of scratches, and everything will
begin to rust there. Metal is also hard, and if, for example, compare it with
vinyl one, vinyl siding is much easier to install. I installed it 2 years ago
without problems! Now I am planning to clean it and I search for a vinyl
siding cleaner. Can you advise anything?

Jmd

May 16, 2022, 3:45:05 PM5/16/22
I Tried everything including goo gone for tape marks that have been on the siding for 8 years and Powerwashed it every year. Finally tried GOOF OFF pro strength remover aerosol spray. Came off immediately.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/construction/remove-masking-tape-from-vinyl-siding-11567-.htm