Hardy plank squirrel proof? Other recommendations?

marc rosen

Nov 25, 2007, 8:30:42 AM11/25/07
Hello Group,
I'm relatively new to the group having been a lurker for years, now I
have a concern. My wife and I built a log home in the 80's and added
an addition to it two years ago. Both the house and the addition are
prone to gnawing by squirrels but the house's damage is almost
invisible due to the nature of its texture. The addition is a
different story. The squirrels chew the lower edge of the vinly "fake
shake" siding. We have been able to minimize their attacks by rubbing
soap along the edges but this creates a filmy appearance and does not
last very long. I thought about replacing the siding (by GENTEK) but
that is an ordeal as it will require taking down the entire face from
the top to get the bottom panels replaced. The GENTEK product looks
great but it has a few disadvantages when it comes to replacing
sections.
Anyway, I'm getting off track. I want to replace the siding with
something less susceptable to squirrels assaults. Cedar was the first
thought but we wanted something requiring less maintenance that a
natural wood product since we already spend some time maintaining the
log walls. Hardy plank came into thought but I wonder if that too
would be a source of chewing gratification for the squirrels. Has
anybody here ever seen squirrels gnawing on Hardy Plank? Any
"barrier" type applications recommended to keep the squirrels away for
long periods.
I've tried soap. cayyenne pepper and shooting the beasts (The latter
is the most fun but it does not get them all- we live in a densely
wooded area) We don't want to apply poisons as we raise ducks and
geese and sometimes they come up to the decks.
Siding and reppellent recommendations welcome. You can even reply
directly to duckbiteATqisDOTnet

Thanks in advance,
Marc

marson

Nov 25, 2007, 7:31:33 PM11/25/07

Well, I haven't seen squirrels chewing on Hardi. The stuff dulls a
carbide blade in about two seconds flat, so I doubt squirrels would
find much pleasure in chewing it. But you never know for sure. If
you really want to foil 'em, put on stucco or brick.

CWatters

Nov 27, 2007, 4:28:00 AM11/27/07

"marc rosen" <duck...@qis.net> wrote in message

> Hello Group,
> I'm relatively new to the group having been a lurker for years, now I
> have a concern. My wife and I built a log home in the 80's and added
> an addition to it two years ago. Both the house and the addition are
> prone to gnawing by squirrels but the house's damage is almost
> invisible due to the nature of its texture. The addition is a
> different story. The squirrels chew the lower edge of the vinly "fake
> shake" siding.

Electric cattle fence along the bottom?

Craig M

Nov 27, 2007, 7:33:16 AM11/27/07
I have Hardi on my own house, and I can say it is a great product, but a
scared dog with good claws can scratch and dig it out, had used it in place
of some door trim she mauled trying to get into the house, she got to the
edge of it and took it off in layers, I would think that squirrels could
chew through the edge grain of it, if they can get at the edge, they can
knaw through lead, roof jacks, telephone cable, ect, dont leave edge
exposed, but I am in Teaxs and lots of them litttle fuzzy rats with long
tails here, never had one knaw on my hardie yet.
"CWatters" <colin....@turnersoak.plus.com> wrote in message

Dioclese

Nov 28, 2007, 7:49:02 AM11/28/07
"marc rosen" <duck...@qis.net> wrote in message

Using a weedwacker trimming St. Augustine, found that it penetrates the
Hardi 1X4 trim around one door. There is no question in my mind that
squirrels could physically penetrate such a material as the siding is
thinner and made of same material.

So, that leaves the question would the squirrels be deterred by the "taste"
of the cement/glue/backing material in such siding. And, playing into that
question, what is attracting the squirrels to the home to begin with.

--
Dave

Jeff Dieterle

Nov 28, 2007, 11:26:00 AM11/28/07
I 2nd the electric fence idea, I've live in a woods and have battled the
tree rats for a long time. Coyote piss and ammonia are temporary solutions.
Forget about cedar, they'll sharpen their teeth on that also.

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

Tar Heel Traveler

Sep 3, 2017, 5:14:04 PM9/3/17
replying to marc rosen, Tar Heel Traveler wrote:
You bet they gnaw on Hardy-Plank. I have this problem ..... saw them with my
own eyes ....and I'm looking for solutions!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/construction/hardy-plank-squirrel-proof-other-recommendations-11844-.htm

sbbobb

Sep 8, 2017, 11:14:06 AM9/8/17
replying to Tar Heel Traveler, sbbobb wrote:
Yes, currently have the problem on Hardy siding and Hardy board trim at bottom
of house. Squirrels LOVE IT!!! tried everything from bug spray, ammonia, deer
fencing. I dont want to go the route of BB gun, but I am desperate at this
point. Seems like they are teething and looking for that something special.

Randy

Oct 22, 2017, 12:44:07 PM10/22/17
replying to sbbobb, Randy wrote:
Did you find a solution to the squirrels gnawing on your Hardiplank siding?

Terri

Jun 12, 2018, 4:14:05 PM6/12/18
replying to marc rosen, Terri wrote:
I have had hardi plank siding and corner boards on my house for almost 10
years and the squirrels have chewed on almost all the outside corners of most
of the corner boards. I figure they like to sharpen their teeth with it

CYNTHIA PIRSON

Aug 5, 2018, 10:44:05 AM8/5/18
replying to marc rosen, CYNTHIA PIRSON wrote:
We are in NC and re-sided our house with hardie plank last year. Our property
is very wooded. Squirrels have chewed all the outside corners of the house -
we literally have to shoo them away. Came to this site for answers. Will try
the pepper first, but will prob end up putting up flashing on the outside
corners if the pepper doesn't stop the chewing.

Bent

Aug 12, 2018, 9:44:05 AM8/12/18
replying to marson, Bent wrote:
I currently am having a problem with a squirrel chewing on hardiplank, any
suggestions? Just had it installed a month ago. Frustrating.

Bob

Sep 8, 2018, 5:44:04 PM9/8/18
replying to CYNTHIA PIRSON, Bob wrote:
Squirrels started chewing the lower edge of Hardiplank 1 year after install.
Been chasing them off with slingshot, works for couple days. Odd, they never
chewed on the old fibreboard.

Mike

Dec 3, 2018, 4:14:03 PM12/3/18
replying to Terri, Mike wrote:
But have they been able to chew through it in a way that would let them get
into the house/attic? I have squirrels in the attic and want to repair their
holes with something they can't chew through. One contractor claims Hardie
board works.

Mike

Dec 3, 2018, 4:14:04 PM12/3/18
replying to CYNTHIA PIRSON, Mike wrote:
Cynthia - have they chewed any holes through the Hardie boards?

Bill Earl

Dec 20, 2018, 12:14:03 AM12/20/18
replying to marc rosen, Bill Earl wrote:
I assume that by now your squirrel problem is under control. If not, review
this web site: www.evictor.com

Jesse

Feb 14, 2019, 10:14:04 AM2/14/19
replying to Bent, Jesse wrote:
Meatl is you best bet!

mckinney3

Mar 29, 2019, 11:44:03 AM3/29/19
replying to marc rosen, mckinney3 wrote:
Squirrels love hardy board. They eat in faster than old Masonite siding. They
also eat aluminum. It’s seems hardy board is perfect for their teeth
flossing.

MAmikey

Oct 21, 2019, 11:14:03 AM10/21/19
replying to mckinney3, MAmikey wrote:
Same problem. Squirrels are chewing at the Hardiplank. I've been spraying the
boards, the nearby roofing, and the telephone wires they climb to the roof
from with Repels All.
It seems to work, until the next rain. :( would love to find more permanent
solution)

m_schore

Aug 28, 2021, 8:45:04 PM8/28/21
Oh, they do indeed. I think they are doing it to file their incisors.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/construction/hardy-plank-squirrel-proof-other-recommendations-11844-.htm

jaycataid

Dec 14, 2021, 1:31:38 PM12/14/21
My home is being destroyed by squirrels!! We have lived in our home for 11 years and never had squirrels chewing on our house. However, since we installed Hardi Plank this year, they are going to town on any board they can reach!! We installed Hardi to increase the value of our home, only to have it decreased because squirrels love it so much! When a warranty claim was made, they denied the claim and told us to remove the squirrels. Really?!?! Like we can control the squirrel population!