Attaching light fixure to a mirror?

Bruce Musgrove

Nov 11, 2006, 10:07:48 PM11/11/06
I have a 7 ft x 4 ft mirror in my bathroom we want to replace the light
fixtures on. Currently it has the Rectangular 4 bulb fixture that is easily
glued on using silicone sealant and double sided tape.

We want to replace it with the round base unit that is designed to mount
directly to the wall box. Unfortunately the holes cut in the mirror over
the electrical boxes is just large enough to get the wires through. There is
no way we can screw the fixture to the electrical box. Pulling the mirror
off and having the holes cut bigger is very expensive (3 quotes over $300 so
far). Replacing the mirror is out of the question (the wife like sit too
much)

I have found a 4" round electrical cover, kinda cone shaped I could mount on
the mirror that would be perfect, except I can't figure out how to glue it
to the mirror and make it stick. I tried Liquid nails Mirror adhesive and
let it sit for 4 days, but I was able to pull it off with very little
effort.

Any suggestions for a better method? I though of going straight to heavy
duty liquid glue or gorilla glue, but thought I better solicit suggestions
first

CWatters

Nov 14, 2006, 7:30:06 AM11/14/06

"Bruce Musgrove" <blackhole...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I tried Liquid nails Mirror adhesive and
> let it sit for 4 days, but I was able to pull it off with very little
> effort.

Did you clean the glass?

Bruce Musgrove

Nov 18, 2006, 12:24:49 AM11/18/06
Yes. With a razor, followed by windex, followed by (per mfr's
reccomendations) isopropyl acohol. The problem was not cleanliness, just
that the light fixture pulled the material apart. The "adhesive" stays
flexible and gummy, like plumbers putty but much tackier. Place any type of
levering force (like a 4 bulb, 2 pound fancy light fixture) and it just
slowly peeled apart, leaving residue on the mirror and the mounting plate.

"CWatters" <colin....@turnersNOSPAMoak.plus.com> wrote in message

Bruce Musgrove

Nov 24, 2006, 1:18:49 AM11/24/06
Shoule anyone be interested, I eventually solved it by using Loctitie rear
view mirror adhesive.

Gerald

Aug 2, 2020, 8:14:03 PM8/2/20
replying to Bruce Musgrove, Gerald wrote:
I used PL Premium contruction glue on the back of the mount. I mounted two
triple light sets. I also put a very thin bead of silicone on the edge of the
light case to prevent the light from being able to wiggle. They have been up
now for 5 years.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/construction/attaching-light-fixure-to-a-mirror-3804-.htm

Mistig923

Oct 20, 2022, 11:15:04 PM10/20/22
Now that is 15 years later.. how did that loctite hold up

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/construction/attaching-light-fixure-to-a-mirror-3804-.htm