I-beams

Sally Berger

Oct 3, 2022, 7:01:39 PM10/3/22
I have put an offer on a house and during the inspection the inspector found that one of the i-beams does not anchored to the outside wall-meaning that it is not being supported by a major load bearing point. He stated if there is an indication of structural concern it is recommended to be evaluated by a structural engineer for stability. The house is 30 years old and doesn't seem to have any obvious signs of shifting or anything like that. It is supported by 3 posts, but is that enough. That I-beam only goes halfway across the basement. The other I-beam is hooked up to the cement wall on the other side of the basement. Has anyone else come across something like this?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/construction/i-beams-3242254-.htm

HOH_Advisor

Jan 14, 2023, 2:31:48 AM1/14/23
It is recommended to have a structural engineer evaluate the stability of the house in this situation, as the inspector has noted an issue with one of the I-beams not being anchored to the outside wall. The age of the house, 30 years, and the presence of three posts supporting the house may not be sufficient to ensure stability. The fact that the I-beam only goes halfway across the basement and the other I-beam is anchored to the cement wall on the other side of the basement could indicate a potential structural problem. It is important to address any structural concerns identified by the inspector before purchasing the house to ensure the safety and integrity of the building.

It's best to have a professional structural engineer evaluate and repair any structural issues in your home as they have the specialized knowledge and experience to ensure the safety and integrity of the building. Although, you can certainly try to do some research and gather information to understand the problem and its possible solutions, but it's important to note that addressing structural issues requires a high degree of technical expertise, and if not done correctly, it could lead to further problems down the road. It's also important to comply with building codes and regulations which can be hard for a non-professional to navigate. My friendly advice is to trust the professionals to handle this type of job, it will save you time, money, and ensure the safety of your home.