A legend

Wilson

Mar 25, 2023, 1:59:33 PM3/25/23
Seven Ohio cops who raided a rapper known as Afroman’s house last summer
are now suing the rapper after Afroman made music videos using footage
from the raid. The Adams County Sheriff’s Office police officers allege
that the rapper is profiting off unauthorized use of their likenesses,
not only in the music videos but also on merchandise created after
Afroman’s social media posts and music videos went viral on platforms
like TikTok and Instagram.

Cops suing say they’ve been subjected to death threats, ridicule,
reputation loss, embarrassment, humiliation, emotional distress, and
other alleged harms and will continue to suffer unless the court forces
Afroman to destroy all the merchandise and posts bearing their likenesses.

Ars couldn’t immediately reach Afroman, whose real name is Joseph
Foreman, for comment, but Vice talked to him in January. Afroman told
Vice that after the raid, he suffered, too, losing gigs and feeling
powerless. He decided to create music videos for songs called “Lemon
Pound Cake,” “Why You Disconnecting My Video Camera,” and “Will You Help
Me Repair My Door” to reclaim his good name.

The cops’ warrant shows that officers conducted the raid to seek
evidence of “drug possession and trafficking, as well as kidnapping,”
The Guardian reported, but no evidence was found, and no charges were
issued against Afroman.

Afroman was not present during the raid, and his music videos relied on
security camera footage and videos shot by his wife on her phone. The
rapper claims that police destroyed his property and seized $400. “I
felt powerless yet angry," he told Vice. "These guys can destroy my
property and I literally couldn’t do nothing about it.”

He said that releasing the music videos was his only way to process
these feelings and that he was shocked when the videos went viral. “The
only thing I could do was take to my pen and sing about the injustice,”
Afroman told Vice. “And to my surprise, it’s going over well!”

Some of the music videos and social media posts have since garnered
millions of views.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/03/cops-sue-rapper-for-using-raid-footage-in-viral-music-videos/

One of the songs he made about the raid:
https://youtu.be/oponIfu5L3Y

Really catchy. Reminds me of Zappa.