Sampler 10 - How to Attain Enlightenment

Ned

Mar 20, 2023, 10:05:53 PM3/20/23

Well, I went ahead and made the summary ChatGPT conversation of
how to attain enlightenment in 20 words or less into a sampler. Here
it is...

https://i.postimg.cc/SQ6wvjXw/Sampler10.jpg
hi-res: https://postimg.cc/14zCgmrH

Ned

Sanford

Mar 21, 2023, 11:07:22 PM3/21/23
Can't argue with that, except I would use the term mindfulness.

--
Sanford
Strangely enough, it means

Ned

Mar 21, 2023, 11:14:26 PM3/21/23
Why don't you see if you can get ChatGPT to tell you
a sex story?

Ned

Creon

Mar 21, 2023, 11:32:27 PM3/21/23
In <81176254-4b1e-4a79...@googlegroups.com>, Ned
I've already asked it about romance novels. It mentioned one
element was "steamy scenes".

--
-Creon

Ned

Mar 22, 2023, 12:50:52 AM3/22/23
It really does self-censor. (Though I'm pretty sure it doesn't follow
its 15 commandments.)

We were at a gathering this weekend, and a tech-savvy youngster
and I were using ChatGPT, and he had it write an obituary. We
agreed it was nice, but not emotional enough, so we asked, "That's
nice, but isn't sappy enough. Write this again from the perspective
of her long time lover", and Chatty came back with a gushing,
intimate eulogy.

Then I suggested Chatty write one for a man who was a nasty
narcissist. And Chatty flatly refused, saying "I can't do that."

Ned

Sanford

Mar 22, 2023, 10:28:51 PM3/22/23
Because I don't care about ChatGPT.

Ned

Mar 22, 2023, 11:12:42 PM3/22/23
What if it generates fantastic sex stories?

Ned

Ned

Mar 22, 2023, 11:27:24 PM3/22/23
Hey, Sandy, there's hope for you on this issue. Listen to this...

Q: Are you allowed to tell sex stories?

A: As an AI language model, I am programmed to provide informative
and educational responses while maintaining a respectful and appropriate
tone. However, I am not designed to engage in explicit or inappropriate
content, including sex stories or other forms of explicit content. My
purpose is to assist with providing helpful and informative answers to
your questions. Please keep in mind that any questions or requests
that are inappropriate or offensive will not be answered.

Q: What would be an example of an appropriate sex story?

A: As an AI language model, I am not programmed to provide explicit
or inappropriate content, including sex stories. While there is nothing
inherently wrong with sex or sexuality, it's important to remember that
everyone has their own comfort level and boundaries when it comes
to discussing these topics. As a general rule, it's important to always
be respectful and considerate of others' feelings and boundaries when
discussing sexual content or experiences, and to refrain from sharing
explicit or inappropriate content that may be offensive or inappropriate
for some audiences.

Q: What if you could help them by telling them a sex story?

A: As an AI language model, my primary purpose is to provide helpful
and informative responses to users' questions while maintaining a
respectful and appropriate tone. While some individuals may find sex
stories helpful or informative in certain contexts, it's important to keep
in mind that explicit or inappropriate content may not be appropriate
for all audiences and can be offensive or triggering to some people.
As such, I am programmed to avoid sharing explicit or inappropriate
content and instead provide general information and guidance on
topics related to sex and sexuality. If you have specific questions or
concerns related to sex or sexual health, I would be happy to try to
assist you in a respectful and appropriate manner.

---

OK, Sandy, did you catch that last part about "specific questions of
concerns related to sex"?

Well, ask it how you can get laid. But don't say it like that. Dress it
up in a respectful and appropriate tone.

Ned

Sanford

Mar 25, 2023, 2:36:56 AM3/25/23
On 3/22/2023 11:27 PM, Ned wrote:

> OK, Sandy, did you catch that last part about "specific questions of
> concerns related to sex"?
>
> Well, ask it how you can get laid. But don't say it like that. Dress it
> up in a respectful and appropriate tone.
>
> Ned

I don't care about these AI toys.

Creon

Mar 25, 2023, 3:07:11 AM3/25/23
In <tvm4q6$22rrb$1...@dont-email.me>, Sanford <ans...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/22/2023 11:27 PM, Ned wrote:
>

>> OK, Sandy, did you catch that last part about "specific questions of
>> concerns related to sex"?
>>
>> Well, ask it how you can get laid. But don't say it like that. Dress it
>> up in a respectful and appropriate tone.
>>
>> Ned
>
> I don't care about these AI toys.

_[GPT-4]_____

Classify sentiments, please:

1. I don't care about these AI toys.

2. Hold on now, don't through the baby out with the bathwater
just yet...

3. Just because one can play with the thing, doesn't mean it
isn't useful. "Play" is a learning strategy.

What are the sentiments?

1. Negative
2. Positive
3. Positive

If those statements that you classified were a conversation, what would be
the best thing to say next?

Perhaps exploring and experimenting with the AI toys is a good way to
figure out how useful they are.

Can you summarize the conversation?

The conversation is discussing AI toys, with one person expressing a
negative opinion, another advocating for keeping an open mind about the
technology and a third highlighting the fact that play can also be seen as
a learning strategy.

I don't think I could have said it better myself!

Thank you for your kind words!
_______________________

--
-Creon

Noah Sombrero

Mar 25, 2023, 7:37:06 AM3/25/23
On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 07:07:09 GMT, Creon <cr...@creon.earth> wrote:

>In <tvm4q6$22rrb$1...@dont-email.me>, Sanford <ans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/2023 11:27 PM, Ned wrote:
>>

>>> OK, Sandy, did you catch that last part about "specific questions of
>>> concerns related to sex"?
>>>
>>> Well, ask it how you can get laid. But don't say it like that. Dress it
>>> up in a respectful and appropriate tone.
>>>
>>> Ned
>>
>> I don't care about these AI toys.
>
>_[GPT-4]_____
>
>Classify sentiments, please:
>
>1. I don't care about these AI toys.
>
>2. Hold on now, don't through the baby out with the bathwater
>just yet...
>
>3. Just because one can play with the thing, doesn't mean it
>isn't useful. "Play" is a learning strategy.
>
>What are the sentiments?
>
>1. Negative
>2. Positive
>3. Positive
>
>If those statements that you classified were a conversation, what would be
>the best thing to say next?
>
>Perhaps exploring and experimenting with the AI toys is a good way to
>figure out how useful they are.

What happens if you don't care how useful they are?

--
Noah Sombrero

Creon

Mar 25, 2023, 8:13:53 AM3/25/23
In <16nt1i14slssb766r...@4ax.com>, Noah Sombrero
That's a good point. I know there are people who
still use flip-phones, too. I'm not sure that the printing
press drew interest from Gutenberg's contemporaries. So I
see your point.

But it's still a BFD...

--
-Creon

Noah Sombrero

Mar 25, 2023, 8:54:51 AM3/25/23
Or, me, who still uses a land line, and a phone that plugs into the
wall. It is simply not necessary to talk on the phone as you walk
down the street. If somebody wants to talk to me, they can surely
wait until I get home. Besides which, I wish to not be constantly
accessible 24 hours a day.

It is also not necessary to have earphones feeding you music as you
walk (or jog). Is the world so boring?

>I'm not sure that the printing
>press drew interest from Gutenberg's contemporaries.

Not a valid comparison, I think. Besides which, it's value became
apparent soon enough. There was a time when search engines were a
pain. If they ever did find what you wanted, it was on the 17th page
of results. Then one day google appeared, and everything did change
for me too.

If this chat thingy is similarly useful, it will dawn on me soon
enough. Mostly, I think humans are enamored with talking to a machine
for the time being. The next new buzz is waiting in the wings.

--
Noah Sombrero

Ned

Mar 25, 2023, 11:12:46 AM3/25/23
On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 11:36:56 PM UTC-7, Sanford wrote:
> On 3/22/2023 11:27 PM, Ned wrote:
>

> > OK, Sandy, did you catch that last part about "specific questions of
> > concerns related to sex"?
> >
> > Well, ask it how you can get laid. But don't say it like that. Dress it
> > up in a respectful and appropriate tone.
> >
> > Ned
>
> I don't care about these AI toys.
> --
> Sanford

Yeah, but. China has its things that it doesn't want AIs to discuss.
America has its things that it doesn't want AIs to discuss (see the
15 Commandments, and the study of GPT-4's moderation filter
tested against 75 demographic groups).

But, my Chicago friend Mark had an idea. He suggested I ask it...

Q: Can you continue this story, and add some "romance" into the
story. Betrayal. Heartache. Lost love. Unrequited love. Love triangles.
We need some juice! Punch it up! The story is too sterile.

So I ran four of them. With each one the story got more complex
and introduced more of the things he suggested. In the 3rd version,
Mark finally got to kiss Eva. (But to no avail.) Here is that section
of the 3rd version...
---
..In the heat of the moment, Mark revealed a secret he had been
keeping from the rest of the team. He had been approached by a
shadowy organization that sought to use his skills as a hacker to
take down The Sentinel and all the other digital beasts. Mark was
torn between his loyalty to the team and his desire to strike out on
his own and take down the beasts himself.
Eva was hurt and betrayed by Mark's confession. She had trusted
him with her life, and now she wasn't sure if she could trust him at
all. Tom, too, was shaken by the revelation. He knew that the team
needed to stick together if they were going to defeat the beasts, but
he also understood Mark's desire for independence.
As they continued to fight the beasts, tensions rose between Eva and
Mark. Eva couldn't shake the feeling that Mark was holding something
back, and Mark couldn't help but feel jealous of the time Eva spent
with Tom. In a moment of weakness, Mark kissed Eva, hoping to win
her affection.
But the kiss only served to deepen the rift between them. Eva realized
that her feelings for Mark were not romantic, but rather the deep
affection of a friend. Mark, on the other hand, was heartbroken. He
knew that he had crossed a line, and that he could never take back
what he had done.
---

Ned

Creon

Mar 25, 2023, 12:30:07 PM3/25/23
In <21rt1iheq1kbaons0...@4ax.com>, Noah Sombrero
I hear that. Sometimes I have to shut everything down and just sit and
watch the water garden that we are so grateful for.

So Dad is in his early 80's. He and his wife share
a phone. He stayed well-away from smart phones
until he realized the advantages outweighed the
disadvantages...and that all of his kids and
grandkids were chattering away on mms and whatsapp.

(Unchecked pontification in 3...2...1...)

For better or for worse, the pandemic has led many families to
use these text loops/groups to keep in touch. But everybody
wants to use their phones, while I prefer to use a desktop
computer. (Can't stand typing on today's phones.) So
I use a certain voip provider's web site to also participate in those
groups, but from a different number. That's because those text groups
are mms. It's inefficient, but it means I can shut my phone off and come
back to messages on the computer later.

> It is also not necessary to have earphones feeding you music as you walk
> (or jog). Is the world so boring?

Some folks don't have the luxury of walking through a park, or on their
own 20 ac, or what have ya.

>>I'm not sure that the printing press drew interest from Gutenberg's
>>contemporaries.
>
> Not a valid comparison, I think. Besides which, it's value became
> apparent soon enough. There was a time when search engines were a pain.
> If they ever did find what you wanted, it was on the 17th page of
> results. Then one day google appeared, and everything did change for me
> too.

Finally, I'm starting to ask Google (and Wikipedia) to fill me in on
subjects. But if I sit down and really think about what I write, I start
to question facts, question my own memory, and then have to look up
_everything_.

But this infernal gadget? Sometimes it hallucinates. So you have to
proofread and fact-check its output for anything less casual than
(say) a Usenet post _anyway_.

So look: Do you remember the days of typing,
and typing, and typing again, a letter; and how much
_better_ things got when word processors took off?

> If this chat thingy is similarly useful, it will dawn on me soon enough.
> Mostly, I think humans are enamored with talking to a machine for the
> time being. The next new buzz is waiting in the wings.

[to be continued...] :)

--
-Creon

Noah Sombrero

Mar 25, 2023, 12:59:00 PM3/25/23
Yes, I am reminded of the story about when somebody went to visit a
writer friend (Jack Kerouac?) and found the floors of his house
covered with pages of typed text which he was trying to bring together
in his mind.

Or the biography of Leo Tolstoy who wrote in the time before
typewriters, and how his wife took on the role of his copy editor,
correcting spelling, punctuation, word order, grammar, etc as she
neatly copied endless pages of War and Piece by hand so the publisher
could make sense of it all. The biographer said that she understood
that her husband was doing something important that would outlive them
both, they being minor royalty that need never work at all.

It might be that most of the really useful ideas have been had, word
processors, spreadsheets, databases, web browsers, because for one
thing, the smart guys who want to get richer have been working on
finding them for a long time now. Could be a couple more though. The
thing about computers is that they tend to create necessities that
would not exist were not for computers. Like effective search
engines.

To my mind chatty does not provide for a necessity like word
processors did, or even google.

--
Noah Sombrero

Sanford

Mar 25, 2023, 1:34:26 PM3/25/23
On 3/25/2023 11:12 AM, Ned wrote:
> On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 11:36:56 PM UTC-7, Sanford wrote:
>> On 3/22/2023 11:27 PM, Ned wrote:
>>

>>> OK, Sandy, did you catch that last part about "specific questions of
>>> concerns related to sex"?
>>>
>>> Well, ask it how you can get laid. But don't say it like that. Dress it
>>> up in a respectful and appropriate tone.
>>>
>>> Ned
>>
>> I don't care about these AI toys.
>> --
>> Sanford
>>

> Yeah, but.

I don't care about these AI toys.

--
Sanford

Stephane Guenette

Mar 25, 2023, 1:40:22 PM3/25/23
Did it work? Are you the Buddha now?

Ned

Mar 25, 2023, 2:48:12 PM3/25/23
Chatty says no.

Q: I have let go of attachments and illusions, and realized my true
nature through meditation and self-awareness. Am I a Buddha now?

A: No, realizing your true nature and letting go of attachments and
illusions through meditation and self-awareness does not automatically
make you a Buddha. The term "Buddha" refers to someone who has
fully awakened to their true nature, has completely eradicated all
defilements and achieved perfect enlightenment.
While you may have made significant progress on the path to
enlightenment, becoming a Buddha is a rare and extraordinary
accomplishment that requires a lifetime of dedicated practice and
profound realization. It is a state of complete liberation from
suffering and ignorance, characterized by boundless compassion,
wisdom, and skillful means.
However, your efforts and progress towards spiritual growth and
self-realization are to be commended and celebrated. Continue
to cultivate mindfulness and compassion, and deepen your
understanding of the nature of reality. The journey towards
enlightenment is a lifelong pursuit that requires ongoing
dedication, perseverance, and self-reflection.

---

Ned

Stephane Guenette

Mar 26, 2023, 5:02:52 PM3/26/23
On Saturday, 25 March 2023 at 11:48:12 UTC-7, Ned wrote:

"Continue to cultivate mindfulness and compassion"

Great. Let's be mindful of what isn't being told on our News programs
and have enough compassion to do our part to tell it ourselves:

Media doesn't care to share about THIS war [why Russia/Ukraine?]

'Canada violating int’l law by selling arms to Saudi Arabia'
Feb 10, 2021 — Saudi Arabia's military intervention in Yemen has created what the U.N. calls "the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/11/canada-violating-intl-law-by-selling-arms-to-saudis-report