Triple humbugs all round

Julian

Dec 3, 2021, 6:57:16 AM12/3/21
Writing about Christmas television adverts recently, I reflected that ad
agencies who have only ever employed non-white citizens as messengers
and doormen in the past are now, in pursuit of the Woke Wonga, having us
believe that Britain is now solely composed of mixed race couples living
in duplex apartments overlooking fashionable rivers. As one wit said on
Twitter: ‘At this time of year, all these Christmas ads make me feel sad
for all the black ladies, lone parents to their children, whose dads all
appear to have all married white women and started second families in
large Farrow & Ball painted homes with them.’

An objectionable non-seasonal aspect of advertising occurs when #BeKind
celebs take a huge wedge to be promote something dubious when they’re
loaded already; the worst example might be the Beckhams, who with an
estimated fortune of £336 million have just nabbed another £10 million
for flogging the footballer’s image as the media-friendly face of Qatar
as it prepares to host the FIFA World Cup. A man who boasts of being a
Gay Icon will be promoting a country where women are prisoners in their
homes, migrant workers abused (many of those who constructed the FIFA
World Cup stadium worked for up to seven months without pay) and where
homosexuality is punishable by death. (When Beckham said that Qatar is
‘changing’ was he referring to the fact that executions have recently
been re-introduced after a twenty year hiatus, according to Amnesty
International?)

Perhaps the most banal bet irritating aspect of advertising, especially
at this time of the year, is when already over-employed actors turn up
as the voice of some or other tat-emporium. And it goes for successful
thespians in general. The unemployment rate among actors is around 90%.
Couldn’t the few lucky ones with millions in the bank just stand back
from advertising voiceovers generally and let unknowns make some money
for once, especially in the season of supposed goodwill? Or does their
greed never take a holiday?

Personally, I won’t enjoy Christmas, seeing it as something to *get it
over with* as do many people who have lost loved ones; Christmas is a
Time of ghosts at the table, and not just those in A Christmas Carol.
There’s a particularly funny bit in Diary Of A Nobody when the prodigal
son Lupin says ‘I hate a family gathering at Christmas. Someone says
‘Ah, we miss poor Uncle James, who was here last year!’ And we all begin
to snivel. Some says ‘It’s two years since poor aunt Liz used to sit in
that corner’ - then we all begin to snivel again. Then another says ‘Ah
- I wonder whose turn it will be next!’ Then we all snivel again, and
proceed to eat and drink too much…’

Both my husband and myself came from happy homes; we got together 25
years ago when our parents were still alive. Now our families have died
around us and we cling to each other like soused-up orphans in a storm,
remembering when those we loved lived. But by Boxing Day we’ll be back
to our bouncy selves - until the awful spectre of New Year’s Eve or, as
we call it, Amateur Night. Roll on 2002 when I can get drunk on
Wednesday lunchtimes - and once more revel in the security of being
disapproved of, as I booze without being licensed for fun.

Julie B.

Love

Dec 4, 2021, 4:38:30 AM12/4/21
In article <sod0mq$trg$1...@dont-email.me>, julia...@gmail.com says...
Endorsed.

--
Love
I'm too lazy to figure out my pronouns

Message has been deleted

Noah Sombrero

Dec 4, 2021, 9:07:53 AM12/4/21
On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 11:57:15 +0000, Julian <julia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Writing about Christmas television adverts recently, I reflected that ad
>agencies who have only ever employed non-white citizens as messengers
>and doormen in the past are now, in pursuit of the Woke Wonga, having us
>believe that Britain is now solely composed of mixed race couples living
>in duplex apartments overlooking fashionable rivers. As one wit said on
>Twitter: ‘At this time of year, all these Christmas ads make me feel sad
>for all the black ladies, lone parents to their children, whose dads all
>appear to have all married white women and started second families in
>large Farrow & Ball painted homes with them.’

A noticeable trend.
Sad to say. Christmas is only magical and marvelous to children. I
certainly remember it that way. And I can see the same thing in
children now. It is not necessary to spend huge amounts of money on
christmas gifts for children, by the way. Kids don't understand what
things cost, and what it means to have to pay for them later.

Will us grumpy old timers spoil it for them?

--
Noah Sombrero